Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2018, 04:51   #1

Boat: L400
Steering wheel diameter & cover

Good day all,

I'm guessing there are a few L400 owners (or Lagoon owners for that matter) out there that have replaced the cover on their steering wheels.
I would appreciate any information on where you got the replacement and if it is the same as the original. I have a 2012 with a black cover that has seen better days...

Also would appreciate the wheel dimensions as I am not at the boat till winter.

Thanks in advance...

MARMCA400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2018, 00:02   #2

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat
Re: Steering wheel diameter & cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARMCA400 View Post
Good day all,

I'm guessing there are a few L400 owners (or Lagoon owners for that matter) out there that have replaced the cover on their steering wheels.
I would appreciate any information on where you got the replacement and if it is the same as the original. I have a 2012 with a black cover that has seen better days...

Also would appreciate the wheel dimensions as I am not at the boat till winter.

Thanks in advance...
Got a new one in Marmaris Yachtmarin marina from a local sailmaker, who came, took the measurements and came back and installed the new cover.
There is some work involved in the installation - threading and tightening the twine properly.
Cannot give you measures as I am away from the boat for the next 10 days. If no one will help you with this I will measure it by the end of next week.

Old 26-08-2018, 21:47   #3

Boat: Lagoon 400

sit next to my wheel, so here you go:

outside wheel diameter 832 mm +/-2 mm

I have leather cover so cant get more precise measurement. It is going to be bit of extra work with installation as cover extends couple cm's to rods radiating from centre of wheel.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2018, 11:27   #4

Thank you for the help.
I see that I need the wheel diameter, spoke diameter and outer rim diameter...
Might have to wait till I get to the boat...

Cheers,
Old 27-08-2018, 14:00   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Just out of curiosity, why does one cover a stainless steel wheel? I can understand covering one of those epoxy/carbon ones that top race boats sport, but stainless??

Jim
Old 28-08-2018, 19:28   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Jim, if itís the same as our Lagoon 380, I think he is asking about the leather that is sewn around the wheel rim. The leather is much grippier & not cold like the bare stainless. The trouble is that it wears with age, especially the stitching. Pretty sure they are talking about that & not just a protective ďcoverĒ for when itís not in use.
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 19:35   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Steering wheel diameter & cover

It looks cool and sporty, all the luxury SUVís do

I think he understands what kind of cover, just like me, doesnít see the use of it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 19:51   #8

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Ours is 14 years old & no longer looks real ďcoolĒ, as Iíve hand stitched a fair bit of it, but the wife much prefer the extra grip it offers, especially when steering down hill in bigger seas.
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 23:48   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Just out of curiosity, why does one cover a stainless steel wheel? I can understand covering one of those epoxy/carbon ones that top race boats sport, but stainless??

Jim
As far as my experience goes, having sailed extensively with both types of wheels:
It is very nice and pleasant to have a (thin) leather cover on SS wheel, gives better grip and feels warmer in cold weather.
No need to cover carbon wheel. Has nice grip as it is and goes colder in a slower rate in comparison to a SS one.
On our Lagoon400 we have just replaced the old (original) cover with new one.
I sail occasionally a racing boat at home and feel very happy with its large, black, carbon wheel. Boat is not mine, but would not think to suggest to the owner to put a cover on the wheel.
Old 29-08-2018, 00:25   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Ah ha! When he said cover, I was thinking of blue sunbrella covers for the whole wheel, making them look like a blue pizza being delivered. I've seen such many times...

So, leather covers for the rim: I've been making them for our boats for many years. I've always been able to find leather off-cuts for very little money. Long ago I bought a roller cutter and a four-hole stitching punch... you cut the leather into long strips, just wide enough to wrap around the rim of the wheel, punch the holes along each side and start stitching it around the rim. I use a herringbone stitch and regular whipping twine. Work your way around the wheel and then stitch the ends together. If you can't get a length sufficient to go clear 'round the wheel, end stitch bits together.

It isn't rocket science or even boy scout merit badge stuff. How they justify the prices for commercial ones is beyond me!

And obviously, I too think it much nicer to hold a leather covered wheel, especially steering in a cold rain!

Jim
Old 29-08-2018, 04:18   #11

Correct, I am referring to the cover stitched around the rim. There are a few options out there and different leathers to use. Just wondering what others have done.

Jim, thanks for the thought...I actually forgot I have Sunbrella vinyl boat seat material in a nice light tan that I used on another boat...I wonder if that would hold up....

Tags
steering, wheel