Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2018, 00:37   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Steering lock?

My 2014 Lagoon 450 came "new-to-me" with a spiffy Goiot Carbon Fibre three spoke steering wheel. The thing is, I can't 'lock' it, which makes reversing on the engines tricky - having to try and hold the wheel/rudders central while working the throttles. I turn the central "Spinner Brake" cap as much as I can and it simply tightens against the wheel until it will turn no more -without activating any braking.

Has anyone pulled their Spinner Brake 'cap' off? Does it in fact come, not just with a rod that fits inside the central steering 'axle', but also with a "slug"? I read on an old yacht forum where the "lewmar spinner brakes" employ a slug of the same diameter as the 'rod' that fits in first to activate the steering lock.
If not could anyone be so kind as to measure the length of the rod on theirs, say from the end of the thread or from the lip of the cap to the end of the rod, so that I can see if mine is simply the wrong length or that when the wheel was installed they lost the original "slug"

Hopefully the pics attached will explain more..the length from the edge of the cap-lip to the end of the rod is 91mm, the rod is 7.5mm I diameter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6577.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	168960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6579.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	168961  

Name:	IMG_6583.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	168962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6586.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	439.9 KB
ID:	168963  

Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 01:14   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Steering lock?

lewmar has different-lengths brake-spinners: maybe Goiot too?
Old 30-04-2018, 05:59   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
lewmar has different-lengths brake-spinners: maybe Goiot too?
Yeah I figured much.. I sent animal to Goiot but all I received was a reply informing method from May the 7th that will be on holidays??

I figure the thing I need to know is the length of the 'rod' on a normal Lagoon 450 steering "spinner brake" and whether they normally come with a "slug" - on Lewmar's site they mention slugs and on a yacht forum someone measured their slug and it was 23mm but that was for a Benneteau yacht.
I also sent a message to Lewmar but am not hopeful of a reply (based on past experience)(.
Cheers
Blackduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 06:10   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Steering lock?

On Lagoons I have delivered my experience has been that the 'lock' functions adequately when moving forward but is unable to stand up to the forces when astern.. as a result I work the engines for marina operations with one knee jamming against a wheel spoke.
Job done..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 10:53   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Casamance 46

Tie it off?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525110781.090883.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	168979
verb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:06   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

It is usually not strong enough to hold the wheel in place in reverse. I use it only when moored/anchored to avoid rudders swinging.
When in reverse I just hold it strongly with left hand while operating engines with right.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:40   #7

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

I find the steering lock on our 450F pretty useless. It will NOT hold when in reverse, even if you tighten it down really hard.

I also either hold it, or (normally) pick a direction that mostly suits what I'm trying to do and let it go to full lock. I find it does help quit a bit with kicking the stern around in the direction I want it to go, especially when springing off. (obviously not great if you are trying to go straight !).

Was considering tying it off, but unsure if that was wise or not as the forces in reverse are considerable !.

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:58   #8

Boat: Lagoon 420

Same with our L420 which has the Goiot wheel brake as well.

I snug it down quite tight, then when maneuvering in reverse I center the rudder so it is straight on to the water flow off the propeller (rudder is forward of the sail drive) and put my foot on the bottom of the wheel to help keep it from turning.

If I don’t put my foot on the wheel it will generally turn slowly one way or the other but doesn’t slip hard over.

This works well for me so not much of an issue.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:00   #9

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
On Lagoons I have delivered my experience has been that the 'lock' functions adequately when moving forward but is unable to stand up to the forces when astern.. as a result I work the engines for marina operations with one knee jamming against a wheel spoke.
Job done..

Me too. I think it is just a typical friction lock which cant hold against forces generated on rudders installed forward of props. Never driven one that could.

OP, I dont think you have a wheel brake problem, the behavior you describe is typical.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 18:45   #10

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Venezia 12.6M

Try this chain stop. Works on our FP Venezia.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190202_123142.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	184971  
Poppycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 15:56   #11

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Job done..
Must say in the eight years owning my Lagoon 400 I experienced no problems with the steering lock, held it rock steady when backing in to marina pens, including a favourite marina we visited on occasions with a short narrow entrance and a strong tide effect, demanding when backing against the current and tight reversing turns. Maybe the L400 steering lock worked better than other models?
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:40   #12

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Not really, you have to tight it really hard and absolutely straight, otherwise
the engine will turn the wheel. I have always one hand on he wheel when backing up on engines.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:16   #13

Boat: Amel 50

The steering lock was not strong enough on my ex-L450.

When anchored, I used a thick bungee cord to tie one of the wheel spokes to a folding pad eye.

When reversing, I always had one hand on the wheel and one on the throttles.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:32   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Job done..

I carry a few 6’ lengths of dyneema. One side has an eye the other is back spliced. When docking a cat, I tie off the wheel to either a winch or on Hellias the side of the helm position.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:23   #15

Boat: Leopard 39

Steering locks don't have the strength to resist forces on the rudder in reverse gear. Their only practical function on cats is to make the transition from rudders-to-engines "steering" when approaching the tight quarters of harbors and marinas at slow speed- and in that regard, their functioning is crucial. Take it apart and make it work.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering