Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 05:07   #16
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Spinnaker size for Lagoon 400

We had a gennaker on our L380, and now the parasailor on our L400. I find the parasailor does all and more than the gennaker,it has a wider range, especially close to downwind, a bigger wind range and gives us similar boat speed and is easier to handle. Wind range for the gennaker was 5-18kn, for the parasailor 6-35. Very easy trouble free sailing and easy to rig with just rear turning blocks and winch (they come as a set) and 2 additional bow blocks required for the Spinnaker kit from lagoon for around €1000. New prices ex tax , I'm guesstimating gennaker and rigging €6000, wingaker €6000 , parasailor € 7000
The parasailor gives us good speed with apparent wind from 90-180 degrees.
I've heard the wingaker is ok as well. I'm not sure if it has an inflated air ram beam like the parasailor so it might not be quite as stable in lighter wind. The ram works very well for keeping the parasailor from collapsing.
Another big plus of the parasailor is there's no need to keep the main up when off the wind. It pretty much stayed zipped in its bag most of our Atlantic crossing. No need to reef in squalls or for varying wind conditions and no need to juggle the best angle to keep the gennaker flying without being shadowed by the main. A normal spinnaker will work as well but won't have the wind range of the parasailor. You would likely need at least two. A smaller 80m2 for over 25kn and a larger 140m2 for under.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 06:10   #17

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Thank you Monte! That's really helpful!
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 01:41   #18

Boat: Lagoon 450
Spinnaker size for Lagoon 400

169 sq m Wingaker on our Lagoon 450. Fantastic sail. Easy to use and stable. About €6,000. I believe it is more stable than the parasailor in lighter winds as it does not spill as much air. We have also sailed with it in 30 kts with no problem.

http://youtu.be/zcRreJQ8IZY

And at about 120 true / 80 apparent;

http://youtu.be/RvFfNeRRE3c

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 02:54   #19
TOT

Looks great Dave 👍

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 19-12-2015, 03:41   #20

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Really nice! 169m2 is a large sail. Nevertheless ISTEC offered me a Parasail 189m2. But I have heard that a 169m2 Wingaker for lighter wind is too much. At wich windspeed do you find your Wingaker useful? Would you choose the same size again?
Ulstue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 08:39   #21
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Looks good Dave. One of the advantages of going a bit smaller is maintaining the view from the helm. As you can see, Dave can see pretty well below the foot of the ps. A larger size might obstruct a lot of the view and require more walking around to check downwind. The wingaker looks very good and very similar to our ps flying with the wind on the beam. You will make quite a bit of leeway like that so it's probably more efficient to fly main and jib if the destination is really adjacent to the wind, but the thing is works ok and for variable wind conditions there's no stress if the wind moves anywhere from 180-90 degrees on a passage. If it was settled at 90 degrees main and jib would be a bit more efficient and a bit faster for us.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 12:42   #22

Spinnaker size for Lagoon 400

Thank you guys. The sail seems to work from about 5-30 kts. And, as Monte said, it can be used down to 90 deg in lighter winds but really I think most efficient at 140 deg to 180 deg. I think the size is good with a good view underneath and yet plenty of power. The original Lagoon options at purchase offered a 190 sqm sail. I tend to get the boat speed as half the wind speed up to 18/9kts then the L450 really is at max unless overpowered or surfing.

I also followed Rolf's advice and strengthened the halyard diverter on the upper mast as his failed. The dousing sock works well and I would be happy to fly it solo in lighter winds.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, size, spinnaker