Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 02:51   #1
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Spinnaker for Lagoon 380?

Ola,
Im thinking of adding a spinnaker to my L380
Any thoughts or advice from other owners? or similar cats..
Parasailor maybe? Its mainly for direct downwind. I have a gennaker which is great when the wind is on the beam or forward of the beam, but want somthing for 100-180 degrees.
What size is recomended and what kind of performance does it add in 10, 20 knots

The parasailor looks prettty cool and easy to handle. It will be used for tradewind sailing from Europe to Australia in the future and for now in the Med.

I find with 10k true on the beam we can do 5k with just the jib, or 6.5 with the gennaker, but as the wind comes more aft the difference is more like .5 k

downwind in 10k true is more like 5k with the jib wing in wing, and 5.5 with the gennaker.

I am wondering what woulld I expect in 10k with a spinnaker or parasailor

Also what size and where to buy.

Also, the parasailor seems super easy to handle and apparently is ok up to 25k wind, how does that compare to a normal spinnaker?

Thanks fir any advice
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:35   #2

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: Spinnaker for Lagoon 380?

look here. it goes from 70-180 no need for a genakker. i use the genakker more to tacking now. up to 60 in low winds. it is cut more like a code 0.

careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:28   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

and the parasailor Careka? what kind of speeds and what size do you have?
Old 04-08-2012, 09:54   #4

mine is 105 m2, the one SS Luna has, is called #4 but he did not know how big it is.
----
Linocat has also 105 m2
------
When i asked Parasailor, they wanted to make me a 86 m2 .
But since Linocat did the "Milkrun" with a 105m2 i went for the same,
My Lagoon dealer , did think that is a bit big, ??
-----
Our weather has not been to good this year, so i have not been abel to test mine good. so fare, i hope to do so before our season is over up here in the north

But when i do, i will film it.

send a IM to Linocat he will tell you speed. he did get on there long tripp.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:13   #5

have you seen this ?

L400
Old 04-08-2012, 16:03   #6

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Monte, I would love to have a parasail, but I think you could buy 10 used spinnakers or asymmetrical spinnakers for the cost of one parasail. I bought an 800 sq.ft. asymmetrical spinnaker, with sock and sheet lines for $450 including shipping. In great condition. Parasails are too new, to find any used ones. So I guess it depends on your budget.

I use a spinnaker bridle to fly the tack of the asymmetrical spinnaker from the port bow tip, to the starboard bow tip, which greatly increases it's usage. Pictures posted on lagooncatowners : Lagoon Catamaran Owners Group under I Dream of Jeanne, 380 hull #122

I love the forgiveness that the open slot in the parasail offers. Would seem to make it much safer. I would be afraid to fly my asymmetrical spinnaker in the dark, but would probably do it with a parasail.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:09   #7

Boat: Lagoon 440

I have a size 7 Parasailor on our 440. We can fly it from 60 to 175awa and from 5kts to 30kts aws. They are expensive but you are replacing several asyms and it is much safer and easier to fly since you don't have to keep changing with different wind speeds.
We flew ours for 18 straight days across the Atlantic, even with squalls of 35kts
Also you do not fly the main when using the Parasailor saving a lot of wear and tear on your expensive main, especially the beating it takes downwind with spreader chafe.
At 140awa and 20kts tws we end up with an aws of 10 and sog of 10kts
jmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46   #8

i am hopeing to test our this weekend. will be back with report.
Old 09-08-2012, 13:30   #9
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thanks for the advice, sounds great Jm
let me know how you go this weekend please Careka !
Old 12-08-2012, 01:00   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thes supplier suggested that the existing genaker sheets and turning blocks should be fine for the sheet lines, and I will need to have 2 lines and turning blocks on the bow for the tack lines. How do you set those up on the 380?
I assume atatch a block to the pad eye on the front of ech hull..or the forward cleat? and return it to the helm somehow? And add a jam cleat for each tack line?
The sheets can stay on the winches I guess?
Thanks
Monte
Old 12-08-2012, 06:21   #11

Boat: Lagoon 440

On our 440 we run the guy from a turning block on the windward bow to a block at the base of the mast, and then to the winch on that side.

Suggestion. Parasailor (Jerry in the US) will set you up with 2-sheets and 2-guys. This allows for easy jibbing. We however use 2-sheets and no guys. Reason is we tend to do long passages and are usually on the same tack day and night. So....we use the windward "sheet" as the guy. This keeps total line handling to a minimum. If we do want to jibe we simple douse the sock, change the leeds and re-hoist the sock
jmpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Monte,

I have a 380 and an asymmetrical spinnaker, not a ParaSail, although will get a ParaSail one of these days. I like the way they actually lift the bow and the safety of the opening built into the sail to vent a puff.

I agree with jmpilot regarding dousing the sail with the sock to change tack. Especially if you're single handling. It's too easy for things to get out of control otherwise. It's a lot of sail, with huge forces, with a mind of their own.

The only time I went overboard, at least with my torso hanging overboard holding on to the stantion cable face up and my head over the water at deck level, until my son came and pulled me back on board, was in the confusion of slack spinnaker sheet lines suddenly going to work. When the sail catches a puff, the lines get tight and take anything or anyone with them real quick!! Socking the sail to make any changes is the only way to keep control.

The rigging for a ParaSail is obviously different from an asymmetrical spinnaker, but getting the attachment points forward of all of the obstructions on deck might have some common ground. The only forward pad eye that came with my boat, was for jack line attachment and has all kinds of obstructions around it. Stantion lines, bow seats, etc.

I added pad eyes (20,000 lb break strength) to the tip of each bow, with backing plates (bedded in thickened epoxy) and 4 - 5/8" SS bolts to secure the pad eyes. You have to gain access through the bow crash compartment, so be sure that you seal that compartment back watertight if you do it. This gets your blocks and sheet lines forward of all of the stuff on deck to limit the chance of tangling lines.

My pad eyes were installed for an asymmetrical spinnaker bridle, to control the tack of the sail from the port bow tip to the starboard bow tip, but could be used for ParaSail sheet lines as well.

Pictures of the parts I used and installation are posted on the Lagoon Owners Yahoo site, under "I Dream of Jeanne". Good luck with your new ParaSail, I would love to have one as well.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:36   #13

back from our small tripp. Parasailor, vind in 120-150 d, tws 5-9kn, boat speed 3-7 kn.

did some filming will put it in on my blogg tomorrow i hope,
i use Harken bloks , same size that came with the boat, up in front, and just run them back to the pullers midship. and sheet lines back to the winches.
will put out pictures and film , i hope.
Parasailor did good,
and this is with full wather tanks 600 liter, and a lot off holliday gear onbord, bike, + kajakks on the deck ++

http://lagoon380careka.blogspot.no
Old 13-08-2012, 03:03   #14

Got some pictures on the blogg, but film has to wait, i cant find my charger for the camera, that i filmed with
it is in the house or in the boat, will be back.
Old 13-08-2012, 03:19   #15

Ref: Tim. #12.
I added pad eyes (20,000 lb break strength) to the tip of each bow, with backing plates (bedded in thickened epoxy) and 4 - 5/8" SS bolts to secure the pad eyes. You have to gain access through the bow crash compartment, so be sure that you seal that compartment back watertight if you do it. This gets your blocks and sheet lines forward of all of the stuff on deck to limit the chance of tangling lines.
------------
I would like to do the same. i had mine coming down to the "Wichard" pads and the rope is catching a lot on the pulpit.

Tags
lagoon, spinnaker