For us, doing a similar style cruising, we have specced both new lagoons pretty much the same way and would do so again without any changes. The 42 ...maybe a genset, maybe not
1) Generator - seems like a no-brainer that I would want this, but I've been told you can always add it later if needed and it will help performance without it there.
I'd prefer solar
, around 1Kw. We manage fine without any alternate power source, but maybe with the larger 42 the weight impact would be less and handy for long passages to know you can back up the batteries after a few days of no sun. I would compare lagoons price
with an aftermarket install of a very small and light genset.
2) Air conditioning - If its mainly me and my gf, I'm not super concerned, with having it, but summertime in the tropics can get toasty/humid. re-assure me I can do without...
No need at all in the Caribbean unless you plan on chartering through a company that thinks you have to have it for guests. We did buy a small portable one for €250 for use if at the dock
for extended periods. It works great, cools the whole boat and easy to stow in a cupboard. It wa mainly for if we wanted to leave our dog inside with everything closed to keep him cool. Rarely do we feel we need it, but occasionally we have used it. It would also run off solar or a genset easily.
3) Watermaker -seems to be a real high maintenance item
Must have, but a couple of grand cheaper aftermarket and a more efficient system than the desolator. (Aquabase 65l/h)
4) Icemaker - I like a cold cocktail & don't want to have to run to shore every day to make an ice run...but those of you out there, what are your thoughts?
Not needed or buy a portable one
5) Extra display at the Nav station - can't I just use my Ipad?
Yep, iPad and PC. PC at the Nav desk with opencpn
plugged into the AIS with a USB works great and nice to have an alternate backup system
5) Electric toilets - no experience with these here
We don't have them but maybe yes. The benifit being less blockages with a macerate and easier for guests to use without blocking
6) Code 0 Rig - yes/no?
Nope, buy a wingaker or parasailor for the same money
7) Under bed slats - ?
Maybe, we just use the rubber mesh available from chandlers to ventilate.
8) Washer/Dryer - at first I'm saying no way...but hauling bed sheets and towels to the laundry mat could be a real pain.
Not for us, but another maybe. We just do laundry once a month or so when nearby a marina. easy enough. Occasionally wash in a tub on the transom step if we feel the need.
9) Dingy - have it already there or go by my own
You will want it straight away. Lagoon
often include them as a special boat show
deal. Just price around and see what is best. Highfield so are excellent dinghys
10) AIS - seems like it would be a nice feature
Yes and lagoons price is reasonable
Also make sure you have folding props, maybe upgraded engines, teak cockpit
is nice too
Assume the boat would be loaded other than these what-ifs. Also just curious if I have missed any sort of aftermarket type option/addition. Thanks for your help & opinions, let them fly!