Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2015, 14:06   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Spec'ing out a new 42 -must haves & leave it off

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Wow, what helpful replies...thanks guys! The biggest thing in the responses that have popped up is off-shore communications. So originally I thought I would just buy a Sat phone, I'm wondering with technology moving so fast is there something if money were no object that you would equip this little 42' boat with from a connectivity and communications standpoint?
If money was no object sure I would instal onboard sattelite internet. But it is still very expensive. The only sailboat I have used it on was a 70' off shore racing boat and we had a shoreside it guy strip everything except the raw data for us. Paying him was far cheaper than additional bandwidth.

These days I would probably go with just a sat phone with the ability to use some data. My guess is that in the next 10 years sat data prices are going to do what cell phone costs did and I wouldn't want to be caught with a lot of installed hardware.

I probably would buy a SSB as well, but they are less necessary than they were years ago.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 14:54   #17

Boat: Catana 471

I don't own a Lagoon, but most of your questions are not boat specific, so here goes.

Quote:
1) Generator - seems like a no-brainer that I would want this, but I've been told you can always add it later if needed and it will help performance without it there.
Nope, don't need one at all if you add solars and do without air conditioning. The only time you need air cond is if you go into marinas and then you can use their power. Anchor out in the tropics you don't need it unless you can't adjust.

Quote:
2) Air conditioning - If its mainly me and my gf, I'm not super concerned, with having it, but summertime in the tropics can get toasty/humid. re-assure me I can do without...
See above. It's always toasty/humid in the tropics. It's always summer. The seasons are wet and dry. AC could be useful in the wet season, but can you survive that stretch at the savings of a lot less upfront $$, less weight, and far less complexity and maintenance? A lot of cruisers do.

Quote:
3) Watermaker -seems to be a real high maintenance item
Not necessarily. No more maintenance than other stuff, based on my experience. This is a MUST HAVE in my opinion, depending on your cruising program. If you plan on hopping from marina to marina you don't need one. If you plan on voyaging and exploring remote areas, this is your ticket to independence.

Quote:
4) Icemaker - I like a cold cocktail & don't want to have to run to shore every day to make an ice run...but those of you out there, what are your thoughts?
Ice maker? Seriously? A huge power hog (see "generator", above). In the tropics learn to drink rum neat and you will not miss the ice. You're either a cruiser or you're a marina queen. Decide which.

Quote:
5) Extra display at the Nav station - can't I just use my Ipad?
Probably. If you can load in waypoints to your plotter that talks to your AP - or if your i-thingy can talk to your AP. I consider it a valuable feature to be able to track to a waypoint.

Quote:
5) Electric toilets - no experience with these here
Don't need 'em. Extra power and extra things to break. This gets back to your program. What level of shore side convenience do you want? Are you a sailor or power boater?

Quote:
6) Code 0 Rig - yes/no?
Depends. If you're starting from scratch I recommend an asym spi that will cover most of the range that a sym spi + reacher will cover. But on the new Lagoons with the aft set mast (and big genny), a sym spi seems the perfect answer. Then you use the big genny for shallow down wind where an asym spi otherwise might be the answer. Don't get both a reacher and asym spi as you're duplicating function.

Quote:
8) Washer/Dryer - at first I'm saying no way...but hauling bed sheets and towels to the laundry mat could be a real pain.
Again, depends on your program. First, there are no real "dryers" unless you have a big ass generator that will power a heated dryer. The washer/dryer combos really suck for the dryer function and they take a lot of water. (See watermaker, above.) We use our combo unit mostly as a Faraday box and if not for the Admiral's opinion, I'd get it off the boat. A lot of weight and a space hog. But there have been times when we have to motor and need to wash undies - while motoring you make the water and power. Then it's useful. But you need the inverter capacity and watermaker. Shore side laundromats are plentiful and do a better job, IMHO. We rarely use our combo unit for what it's intended.

Quote:
10) AIS - seems like it would be a nice feature
Yes. Get a class B that transmits your data so others can see you. A no brainer.

Finally, ask Lagoon about a water heater on each engine. It's a crime that this isn't a default for all cat builders.

Good Luck,
Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 06:08   #18

Boat: Lagoon 380

Agree with all of 2hulls comments/ Lars
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2015, 11:50   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
1) Generator - seems like a no-brainer that I would want this, but I've been told you can always add it later if needed and it will help performance without it there.
2) Air conditioning - If its mainly me and my gf, I'm not super concerned, with having it, but summertime in the tropics can get toasty/humid. re-assure me I can do without...
3) Watermaker -seems to be a real high maintenance item
4) Icemaker - I like a cold cocktail & don't want to have to run to shore every day to make an ice run...but those of you out there, what are your thoughts?
5) Extra display at the Nav station - can't I just use my Ipad?
5) Electric toilets - no experience with these here
6) Code 0 Rig - yes/no?
7) Under bed slats - ?
8) Washer/Dryer - at first I'm saying no way...but hauling bed sheets and towels to the laundry mat could be a real pain.
9) Dingy - have it already there or go by my own
10) AIS - seems like it would be a nice feature

Assume the boat would be loaded other than these what-ifs. Also just curious if I have missed any sort of aftermarket type option/addition. Thanks for your help & opinions, let them fly!
1, 2, 3)
We used to own a very well equipped Lagoon 410 with big genset, plant-sized watermaker, A/C in all areas, dive compressor, washing machine, etc. All installed by the previous owner.
So I know what a big 220v setup is like and explicitly decided against this on our current boat.

If you do need A/C or dive compressor at anchor then you need a genset.
Otherwise I don't see any reason for a genset. Its big, heavy, noisy, smelly, consumes diesel, breaks and needs maintenance. Solar is much better.

1) No genset but as much solar as fits plus 2kw inverter
2) no, but for us diesel heating (works at anchor)
3) A 12v watermaker is the ticket to freedom. Never need to get dubious water, never pay a marina ridiculous money for smelly "water".
4) Ice cubes in the fridge / freezer is OK for me
5) Chartplotter outside and windows tablet inside is what we do. We have a windows tablet at the nav station that runs OpenCPN with all instrument data, the satphone comm software, and a bunch of other things. It is also a media hub for mobile devices and allows them to access the internet (via 3G cell or wifi using the Bullet HP). It runs 24/7 and consumes very little energy. Use VNC to mirror the windows tablet screen on an Android phone or tablet.
6) Asym Spi for us
7) yes, can make a difference
8) We now use shore side laundry from time to time. Its often fun and always cheap.
9) As big and light as possible. Only reason to get one from Lagoon is if they throw it in the deal for free
10) AIS class A transponder with separate antenna

Other items:
Plumbing for drinking water: We have a separate 40l tank with pressure pump and separate faucet for drinking water. Easily removed for cleaning & sanitizing. The factory installed tank & pump is typically impossible to keep clean so we use this water only for showers & dishes.

Electric heads: I replaced them by standard Jabsco manual pumps after a few weeks. Less noise, easier to maintain and repair.

Water generator: certainly nice on long passages but how often do you do that? The money could better spent on improved charging regulators for the alternators and a few liters of diesel. Check out the Sterling regulators or B2B chargers

Wind generator: Be carefull about the model and the install. These can be loud. I'd only get one if solar wasn't enough

VHF with integrated AIS: We had a Radio Ocean VHF and it was a shitty piece of electronic, completely unreliable. Other models may be better

Satphone: A handheld like the isatphone is for us good enough for offshore comms / weather. Nearshore there will always be some cell phone signal and local SIMs and data plans are dead cheap. Wifi is plenty and only costs a beer at the bar to get the wifi key (unless its completely open). SSB receiver plus computer programs to decode weather info is a cheap backup.
Something like a Bullet HP2 with a decent antenna gives up to several miles range depending on the other side's equipment.

TV:
We don't have a TV as we only watch movies (and old series like Flipper & Lassie for the kids). That is OK if we or the kids watch a movie. To turn it into a family entertainment we have a pico projector and a white blanket.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote