Originally Posted by ol1970
1) Generator - seems like a no-brainer that I would want this, but I've been told you can always add it later if needed and it will help performance without it there.
2) Air conditioning - If its mainly me and my gf, I'm not super concerned, with having it, but summertime in the tropics can get toasty/humid. re-assure me I can do without...
3) Watermaker -seems to be a real high maintenance item
4) Icemaker - I like a cold cocktail & don't want to have to run to shore every day to make an ice run...but those of you out there, what are your thoughts?
5) Extra display at the Nav station - can't I just use my Ipad
toilets - no experience with these here
6) Code 0 Rig - yes/no?
7) Under bed
slats - ?
8) Washer/Dryer - at first I'm saying no way...but hauling bed sheets
and towels to the laundry
mat could be a real pain.
9) Dingy - have it already there or go by my own
- seems like it would be a nice feature
Assume the boat would be loaded other than these what-ifs. Also just curious if I have missed any sort of aftermarket type option/addition. Thanks for your help & opinions, let them fly!
1, 2, 3)
We used to own a very well equipped Lagoon 410 with big genset, plant-sized watermaker, A/C in all areas, dive compressor
machine, etc. All installed by the previous owner.
So I know what a big 220v setup is like and explicitly decided against this on our current
If you do need A/C or dive compressor
then you need a genset.
Otherwise I don't see any reason for a genset. Its big, heavy, noisy, smelly, consumes diesel
, breaks and needs maintenance. Solar
is much better.
1) No genset but as much solar
as fits plus 2kw inverter
2) no, but for us diesel heating
(works at anchor)
3) A 12v watermaker is the ticket to freedom. Never need to get dubious water, never pay a marina ridiculous money for smelly "water".
4) Ice cubes in the fridge / freezer
is OK for me
outside and windows tablet inside is what we do. We have a windows tablet at the nav station that runs OpenCPN
with all instrument data, the satphone comm software
, and a bunch of other things. It is also a media hub for mobile devices and allows them to access the internet
(via 3G cell or wifi
using the Bullet HP). It runs 24/7 and consumes very little energy. Use VNC to mirror the windows tablet screen
on an Android phone or tablet.
6) Asym Spi for us
7) yes, can make a difference
8) We now use shore side laundry from time to time. Its often fun and always cheap
9) As big and light as possible. Only reason to get one from Lagoon is if they throw it in the deal for free
10) AIS class A transponder with separate antenna
for drinking water
: We have a separate 40l tank with pressure pump and separate faucet for drinking water
. Easily removed for cleaning
& sanitizing. The factory installed tank & pump is typically impossible to keep clean so we use this water only for showers & dishes.
Electric heads: I replaced them by standard Jabsco
manual pumps after a few weeks. Less noise
, easier to maintain and repair.
Water generator: certainly nice on long passages but how often do you do that? The money could better spent on improved charging
regulators for the alternators and a few liters of diesel. Check out the Sterling regulators or B2B chargers
: Be carefull about the model and the install. These can be loud. I'd only get one if solar wasn't enough
with integrated AIS: We had a Radio
and it was a shitty piece of electronic, completely unreliable. Other models may be better
Satphone: A handheld like the isatphone is for us good enough for offshore
comms / weather
. Nearshore there will always be some cell phone
signal and local SIMs and data plans are dead cheap
is plenty and only costs a beer
at the bar to get the wifi key (unless its completely open). SSB
receiver plus computer programs to decode weather
info is a cheap backup.
Something like a Bullet HP2 with a decent antenna
gives up to several miles range depending on the other side's equipment
We don't have a TV as we only watch movies (and old series like Flipper & Lassie for the kids). That is OK if we or the kids
watch a movie
. To turn it into a family
entertainment we have a pico projector and a white blanket.