Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2017, 04:02   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Some stupid questions regarding the L400S2

Hello Lagoon 400 owners,

I have some questions regarding the Lagoon 400S2 (3 cabin / 2 heads).
We just bought a pre-owned 400S2 and a lot of new-bee questions come up.

1.) She has two fresh water tanks and 2 black water tanks on board.
For the battery Voltage and current, the fresh water tanks and the fuel tanks, the system panel delivers the fill level in percent -what is quite nice.
But how do you monitor your black water tanks? There seems to be no sensors at all - is there an easy way to tell how full they are?

2.) the vessel seems not to have a fog horn on board, how you handle this while cruising? I consider this is a safety device - isn't it? Maybe I just have not found it yet.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 05:11   #2

Boat: Lagoon 410
Re: Some stupid questions regarding the L400S2

Congratulations on the new boat.

My 410 has no black water gauges either. When they are full they just empty out the vent.

Most boats use a compressed gas air horn to meet the fog horn rule.

Rick
Old 15-12-2017, 05:45   #3

Ah, ok, thanks.

So one just watches the color of the hull around the vents ;-)
Old 15-12-2017, 11:40   #4

Quote "When they are full they just empty out the vent."

That's one way I guess, not very marina or crowded anchorage friendly. If you have access to the top of the tanks, a torch placed on top will give you a visual indication of the level in a darkened area. The other way is you need to be in touch with your own and crews motion (so to speak), so as to be able estimate when tank emptying is required. A skill you may not particularly think you wont but will acquire over time. Being the skipper is not beer and skittles.

Quote "Most boats use a compressed gas air horn to meet the fog horn rule."

Had one on board for two years until in a narrow channel approaching a fuel dock, I needed a horn in anger. Grabbed the pressurized air horn canister to deliver 5 loud blasts, to let the other vessel know I had not the slightest idea what they where up to.

"Very muffled frog fart" best describes the sound that was delivered (a small bit of corrosion under the cap at the top of the can appeared to have rendered the device totally unfit for purpose) , following week I installed a 12 volt DC operated horn system at the helm.

A loud horn is something you do not need very often but when you do, it needs to convenient to get to and work first time every time.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 15:11   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
"Very muffled frog fart" best describes the sound that was delivered (a small bit of corrosion under the cap at the top of the can appeared to have rendered the device totally unfit for purpose) , following week I installed a 12 volt DC operated horn system at the helm.
Nice simile, Paul! And I dig your frustration with the air horn for sure. But I wonder if the same small bit of corrosion that killed the air horn might not kill a 12 VDC horn as well? I suspect that more frequent exercise of any horn is a good idea, even though we all abhor folks running about tooting in public (their horns, that is).

We have always used a lung-powered horn to satisfy legal requirements, knowing full well that it is not a very useful tool. One that responds to the push of a button, and is actually loud enough to command attention would be a good thing. Perhaps some day such will come to the top of my gotta do list... who knows?

Jim
Old 15-12-2017, 16:21   #6

Quote "But I wonder if the same small bit of corrosion that killed the air horn might not kill a 12 V DC horn as well"

Occurred to me as well Jim, so instead of mounting out in the weather, I put it under the hard top on the fly bridge.

Up Side: out of the weather so hopefully will survive longer.

Down Side: The audio feed back when used lets you know immediately that it is operational. (CAN YOU SPEAK UP A BIT, I FIND MY HEARING NOT AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE THESE DAYS)

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 16:29   #7

Location: I am in Sydney, Ki(dec) is wrecked on a reef off Niue
Boat: Lagoon 400 S2

One, for me, glaring omission is that there is no alarm alerting you that the bilge pumps are operating. You may want to consider adding some. I put in 2 buzzers.

Brian
b_rodwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 16:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote "But I wonder if the same small bit of corrosion that killed the air horn might not kill a 12 V DC horn as well"

Occurred to me as well Jim, so instead of mounting out in the weather, I put it under the hard top on the fly bridge.

Up Side: out of the weather so hopefully will survive longer.

Down Side: The audio feed back when used lets you know immediately that it is operational. (CAN YOU SPEAK UP A BIT, I FIND MY HEARING NOT AS GOOD AS IT USED TO BE THESE DAYS)
That looks like 2 horns. Redundancy, in case one catches frog fart disease? Or can it play tunes?

I've gone for the manual "bicycle pump" type horn. It's cheap and made of plastic. If these horns don't operate there is also the redundancy of being able to throw the thing at the other vessel.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 16:46   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Ah, ok, thanks.

So one just watches the color of the hull around the vents ;-)
Usually the smell alerts those onboard or in the vacinity.

I've considered fitting these sensors to our holding tanks.

Maretron TLM100 NMEA-2000 Tank Level Monitor (620 mm)

But like BRodwell, have spent the time and money on bilge alarms and extra pumps.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 00:23   #10

One more question regarding propane tank lockers on the Lagoon 400S2.

There are two of them in the cockpit, but they seem way too small for propane bottles (52cm x 32cm x 42cm).
What are the biggest possible European propane bottles that fit in?

Or are they only designed for the tiny expensive blue Butane CampingGaz?

It seems, even a 5kg bottle is too tall to fit in, not to mention the regular 11kg what are standard in Europe in RV's. even the smallest 5kg Safefill will probably not fit in, besides it is quite rare. http://www.safefill.co.uk/

How do you solve the propane issue?
Old 21-12-2017, 00:29   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
One more question regarding propane tank lockers on the Lagoon 400S2.

There are two of them in the cockpit, but they seem way too small for propane bottles.
What are the biggest possible European propane bottles that fit in?

Or are they only designed for the tiny expensive blue Butane CampingGaz?

It seems, even a 5kg bottle is too tall to fit in, not to mention the regular 11kg what are standard in Europe in RV's. even the smaller 7.5kg Safefill will probably not fit in.

How do you solve the propane issue?
Unfortunately the locker is designed for small steel (rusts) butane bottles.

Solution: Reciprocating saw and fiberglass. 😆
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 00:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Unfortunately the locker is designed for small steel (rusts) butane bottles.

Solution: Reciprocating saw and fiberglass. ��
Have you done this? How deep can you go, how much space do you gain by removing the bottom of the locker? Any pictures of the result? I would love to fit in the 11kg safefill tanks, you can refil them at any LPG pump at the fuel station and they are really light.
Old 21-12-2017, 06:27   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Have you done this? How deep can you go, how much space do you gain by removing the bottom of the locker? Any pictures of the result? I would love to fit in the 11kg safefill tanks, you can refil them at any LPG pump at the fuel station and they are really light.
Ive not actually made the mod, just sailed a number of Lagoons w the same issue.

The reciprocating saw comment was made partially in jest, but other than building a new propane locker somewhere else on the boat, surgery is the only option I see.

I suppose you could mount a tank(s) on the stern and just route the hose (properly sealed and protected of course) thru the stern into the existing locker and connect to existing hose in there.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 17:07   #14

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Not sure about the propane storage on my 400S2 but I have 4 tanks, one active to supply the galley, another active on the BBQ and 2 in the storage. No modifications needed.
.????Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1455.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	161822
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote