Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2016, 14:23   #1

Boat: Lagoon 39
Shower pump electric protective time relay

Our Whale Gulper shower pump stopped working. The motor is getting electric current. The Whale Gulper motor is about 1 /12 years old. I've been trying to source a new ETA protective relay 12v 20amp 15 sec five spade. Not having any luck locating a source?

Can anyone assist with a source? I have two showers aboard that use this device. I'm guessing but working under the impression that many Lagoons built since 2012 have similar devices.

The relay's function is when the button is pushed in the shower, it activates the Whale Gulper motor to pump shower gray water overboard. After 15 seconds it shuts itself off.
faa50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 17:31   #2

Re: Shower pump electric protective time relay

"Our Whale Gulper shower pump stopped working. The motor is getting electric current."

So pump is not pumping, but it is getting power to motor. So the Pump motor is faulty. The Whale gulper from memory has a 3 year pump manufactures warranty.

So explain why do you need a a new timer relay?

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 17:49   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

If you have determined that the problem is with the relay and not the motor, there should be a manufacturer's name and part number on the relay. Do a web search on this and you should find it or at least who makes it.

If all you have is a part number, try searching on that number or "relay" and the part number.
Old 15-12-2016, 18:08   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

I have already fixed 4 of the timer relays on board our Lagoon 450. All have the same problem. There is a small build up of rust on the relay coil center that pulls the switch plate in. The rust is so thick that the switch plate can not make contact anymore.
Simple fix:
Open the relay
Remove the small spring that holds the switch plate.
Remove the switch plate
Carefully sand the rust off the center metal in the center of the coil.
Spray lightly with rust inhibitor
Reassemble
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 18:48   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

If I was having that problem, I'd just bypass the relay and use a manual switch, running the pump however long it takes to clear the sump.

Actually, that is exactly what we do on Insatiable II. It's pretty taxing, holding that switch down for 15-30 seconds, but we are tough!

Jim
Old 15-12-2016, 19:54   #6

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

We don't know how big your sump is, maybe it will overflow before you finish your shower.
The Whale Gulper is diaphram pump and can run dry without any problems. So, an interim or if you wish, a permanent solution is to turn on the pump when you start your shower and switch it off when you leave.

Although I still wondering: why a time delay, and not a water sensor to activate the pump?

But as an answer to your question regarding source of parts.... sorry, cannot help.
Edit: if the sump is also by Whale, there are Whale water-sensors to fit their sumps, part number #BE9003 is one of them.
Old 16-12-2016, 22:45   #7

They are a real bugger! Especially if the pump is not regularly used.

New ones can be obtained from:
http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.u...6/category/210

Alternatively, short length of electrical wire with a crimp on spade connector at each end can be used to power the circuit if you remove the relay and wish to use the shower pump. It runs only while the black shower button is depressed.

I'm keen to try Roetter's fix on my collection of U.S. relays. Thanks!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 02:34   #8

"We don't know how big your sump is"

The lagoons in question have NO sump, the gulper pump is connected directly to the shower drain connection.

"Although I still wondering: why a time delay"

To prevent pump from being left switched on continuously.

Old 17-12-2016, 14:35   #9

I'm pleased to report that Roetter's fix actually is possible and works, even for an electrically incompetent clutz ( me ). Thanks again!

Hankonthewater wrote :
"Although I still wondering: why a time delay, and not a*water*sensor to activate the pump?"

It's a "relay", not a " delay". I'd stay away from water sensors, float switches, bilge pumps, etc. in your shower plumbing, unless you are keen to spend a lot of time playing in the bilges. They are about as reliable as a " two bob watch ".

The Lagoon shower system is quite reliable and robust, EXCEPT for the 15 sec. timer relay. These often fail within a couple of years. These are mounted under the floor next to the pumps , in an environment not ideal for electronic components. Perhaps repositioning these to drier location may help. Alternatively, remove the red case and give a protectively spray with Innox or WD40.
Old 17-12-2016, 15:58   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

That would be an irritating failure just when you want to shower.

If the Lagoon design has no reservoir to accumulate shower water can you relocate pump further away from drain with a longish hose to create that reservoir and then install pump with waterproof manual switch as Jim described.

On my Guest shower it is push and hold to operate pump.

On ours it is simply on and off as we don't forget to shut it off.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 16:27   #11

"That would be an irritating failure just when you want to shower."
Not at all, Lagoons all come with 1, 2 or 3 backup showers just for this purpose.

The system does not need any sort of sump added, the area under the Shower floor (removable composite board) acts as the accumulator.

The draw back of the system as I see it is the use of an automotive 12 V DC 15 second delay relay. The most readily available device available I guess from searching for replacements.

1: Not IP rated for wet area use
2: Delay would be a lot more user friendly at 30 to 50 seconds.

Clean existing relay as per Roetter and Tuskie's posts
or replace with a a variable time delay relay in waterproof enclosure.

Old 17-12-2016, 16:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
That would be an irritating failure just when you want to shower.

If the Lagoon design has no reservoir to accumulate shower water can you relocate pump further away from drain with a longish hose to create that reservoir and then install pump with waterproof manual switch as Jim described.

On my Guest shower it is push and hold to operate pump.

On ours it is simply on and off as we don't forget to shut it off.
If you find that the relay failure every 2 or 3 years is intolerable, then by-pass the relay with the short wire as described in post#7. Then you will have a reliable "push and hold" system that you desire.

If you wish to have the pump to run for 15 secs all by itself, reinstall a new or "Roetter method refurburbished" time delay relay.

If you don't have a Lagoon then it is all vicarious interest.
Old 18-12-2016, 02:00   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post

If you don't have a Lagoon then it is all vicarious interest.
Seems like quite a touchy response towards a technical discussion.

..May all your problems be Lagoon related....[emoji57]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 14:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Seems like quite a touchy response towards a technical discussion.

..May all your problems be Lagoon related....[emoji57]
Sorry Pelagic, no animosity was intended.

It is indeed a technical discussion about a specific electronic component, that to my knowledge is only used for this purpose on Lagoon shower systems. When forum members offer advise dispite obviously not having any understanding of the particular plumbing system design or function, then this advise whilst well-intentioned, is often not applicable.
Old 19-12-2016, 01:34   #15

Boat: LAGOON 440

In our recently purchased 2009 L400 we found having to push the black button every time the water in the shower started backing up to get only 15 seconds of action from the Whale Gulper a real nuisance, especially when your eyes are full of soap. Soon removed the gulper and 15 second relay, and replaced it with a shower sump box which includes a float switch. Works a treat.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, rot, shower