Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-11-2013, 09:54   #16

Boat: 2006 Lagoon 440
Re: Saildrive Fairing / Skirt

A note of caution about the external cover. A slipway in Croatia made a new cover for one of my two sail drive units early 2013, out of 3mm thick poly-carbonate material and then used 10 X 3mm stainless screws and Sika Flex adhesive to affix the cover. About 1 month after the slipping, I started to notice water entering the boat via the Volvo D2-55 engine mounting case which is bonded to the hull in construction. By the end of the year, I was taking in about 5-7 lph, which was managed adequately by my keel bilge pump on that side. We slipped our cat in Marmaris, Turkey 28th October to find that the repair guy had pierced the hull in 3 places while drilling the screw holes, and the Sika adhesive was incomplete, allow water to enter. I strongly suggest NO screws be used, and that the skirt be affixed with a good quality adhesive only. The outer skirt coming off part way through the season is far less of a concern than some over zealous soul puncturing you hull!

coldar1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off