Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 18:16   #1

Boat: currently boatless
Replacement external Stereo Speaker

Hello all,
I have replaced out internal stereo speakers and now want to upgrade our external stereo speakers. Currently our outside speakers appear to be the original speakers being Azimuth brand with a 6 inch and 8 3/4 inch speaker. I am able to the smaller Azimuth speakers but cannot locate or source the large size one adjacent the helping position. Can anyone assist in putting me onto the supplier of Azimuth speakers or a suitable replacement. I really don't want to make up a backing plate if possible.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine.
Currently Great Sandy Straights North Queensland.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 01:35   #2
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450
Re: Replacement external Stereo Speaker

Hi Greg
You may want to also take a look at Fusion speakers as they are rated as one of the best producers of Marine sound systems so l would think their speakers would follow suit.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 20-11-2015, 02:29   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It's probably not exactly the answer you're seeking, but there's another viable option.
- You can pick up some nice automobile speakers, with water resistant (plastic) innards/cones, & then make speaker boxes for them. And by that, I literally mean boxes, as in, out of wood. Much like is done for the Big speakers in high end systems in cars.

From there, you simply put a couple of electrical plug connectors in a spot or three in the cockpit, so that you can put the speakers where ever you desire. And needs be, you can put brackets in your cockpit for them, with the other half of the mounting bracket on the speaker box. And or, put a couple of tiny pad eyes in the cockpit, to attach pieces of heavy bungee cord to, & use the bungee (or webbing staps if you like) to hold the speakers in position.

It's a KISS solution, that's worked for many decades. The only real catch being that it's wise to disconnect the speakers & stow them belowdecks when the weather turns fould.
Though, the upside is that automobile speakers tend to have great sound quality, & are fairly inexpensive. Also, since the speakers aren't being exposed to the elements (water & UV) 24/7, they tend to last longer as well.

One other semi-Gucci perk to build into your boat's audio system, is to set things up so that you can have music on deck, but not down below (or vice versa). So that the off watch can sleep in peace, while the watch keeper/helmsman is rockin out, up on deck.

You can do this with physical connectors for the speaker wiring, or via the controls built into the stereo which let you select which speakers the music is going to.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:37   #4

Boat: Lagoon 420
Send a message via Skype™ to casablanca

I don't think Azimuth are original. At least they weren't on our 420. A couple of years ago I replaced the external speakers with Azimuth, and they have been good. I had to enlarge the cutout slightly as the Azimuth are a bit larger in diameter.

I found the Azimuths on line at a pretty cheap price as I recall. But I don't remember the site.

Bob
CASABLANCA L420 #86
casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 22:52   #5

Boat: currently boatless

Thanks everyone for you advise and assistance. I ended up sourcing New Pioneer 8 inch speakers as they fitted the already existing hole. I found it impossible to purchase just one speaker so I ordered a pair. It was either fill the hole and put in 7 inch speakers or enlarge the other hole to fit. Decided to buy the pair but as the other smaller speaker is still working and in good order fit the new larger one, See how it goes and then if happy with selection pull out the smaller speaker, enlarge the hole and put in the new one. It was a kind of no win situation, make one hole bigger or make one hole smaller Being in the cockpit I don't thing a filler would have look good as opposed to a flush finished and then the issue of making sure not only does the speaker seal but the filler as well.

Speakers should arrive by end of week.

Greg H
SV Sunshine
Lagoon 410
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men