Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2015, 07:34   #1

Boat: lagoon 410 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to Bliss-Schip
refrigeration-spillover-too cold in refrig

we finally decided on a frigoboat evaporator system for the freezer with a spillover to the refrigerator.

we reduced the volume of the freezer by 6" which allowed us to use the spillover and save the cost of another compressor and evaporator. the freezer works great, and would be better if I could figure out how to seal the top lid. I better seal would reduce the frequency of defrosting, which is about once a month.

but I digress! my problem now is that the refrigerator gets too cold. the spillover fan has a mechanical thermostat, which I have on the warmest setting. really the problem seems to be that the cold air drops to the bottom and freezes the lower shelf contents.

i'm assuming that the best course of action is to install a fan in the bottom to circulate the air evenly throughout the regrig box. has anyone dealt with this problem?
Bliss-Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 08:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: refrigeration-spillover-too cold in refrig

http://www.cruiserowaterandpower.com...5-27-2013_.pdf

This is how another manufacturer solves this issue. My spillover has no fan, just a hole or two in the divider, maybe use the current fan to circulate air in the fridge?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 08:26   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
refrigeration-spillover-too cold in refrig

Does your spillover fan run continuously? It should not - it should be controlled by a thermostat. If it does have a thermostat control, then you need to move the temp sensor to a place in the box that better represents the refer temp you want.

Or the thermostat is bad.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 09:19   #4

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43

You really shouldn't need a spillover fan. You want to control the amount of cold air that comes into the bottom of the fridge. Reduce it to that one variable and adjust the size of the hole at the bottom of the box until the fridge is the temp that you want.

Without a fan at the opposite end to circulate the air in the fridge, there will be a marked difference in temps between the top of the fridge and the bottom. I have to thermometers in my fridge - one at the bottom and the other in the top section. I aim to get the bottom to 32-36 degrees or so and that will get the top (without a fan) to around 40 or so.
Mycroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 17:51   #5

The spillover should never be on the bottom of the box. It should be at the middle or higher, with the return at the top of the barrier. Adler-Barbor states that both the spillover hole (with fan) and the return be at the top of the barrier on opposite ends. I think Frigoboat states to put the spillover in the middle and the return on top.

This way, the cold air tumbles and exchanges as it spills over and helps to equalize the temperature through the box. Our spillover and returns are at the top of the divider and the 6cf reefer box has even temperature throughout (except immediately in front of the spillover hole, where we must never place lettuce or it will freeze - anything else placed there is just fine).

To the OP: you do have a return hole as well as the spillover/fan hole? Are you sure you have a reefer thermostat and not a freezer one on the spillover fan? Are you sure the thermostat is not faulty?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 22-04-2015, 08:14   #6

Boat: lagoon 410 S2
Send a message via Skype™ to Bliss-Schip

frigoboat spillover fan comes with thermostat and probe all in one unit. frigoboat rep thinks too many return holes, so plugging one to see if that helps. I also ordered a small circulation fan to sit in the bottom of fridge to circulate colder air off the bottom. going to try these options to see what happens. more to follow.........

thanks for the always valuable input
Bliss-Schip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 08:21   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You guys educate me, I don't understand.

On mine there is about a 40 degree temperature difference between the fridge and the freezer, freezer is about -5 or so and bottom of fridge is just below freezing, perfect for beer, but milk I have to keep on the shelf or it will freeze.

I don't see how you could keep a 40 degree temp difference with any kind of fan between the two? I have two 2" hole in the bottom of the dividing wall and I have to keep one closed or the fridge is way too cold, I assume you guy's freezers aren't in the negative temps?
Old 22-04-2015, 09:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

On mine there is about a 40 degree temperature difference between the fridge and the freezer, freezer is about -5 or so and bottom of fridge is just below freezing, perfect for beer, but milk I have to keep on the shelf or it will freeze.

I don't see how you could keep a 40 degree temp difference with any kind of fan between the two? I have two 2" hole in the bottom of the dividing wall and I have to keep one closed or the fridge is way too cold, I assume you guy's freezers aren't in the negative temps?
In my box I have one big, insulated box with a small freezer in the top with a thermostat controlled spillover fan.

If I don't do something to move the air around in the fridge the cold air from the spillover settles in the bottom of the fridge and freezes. Just like a thermocline in the water when you're diving. Know you've been there, done that.

If I turn the spillover thermostat high enough that the bottom of the fridge doesn't freeze it tends to be a bit warmer than I like in the top.

So, adding a small recirculating fan in the bottom of the fridge. Would be happy to eliminate that if I could figure a reliable way to do so.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 11:54   #9

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43

I have A single spill over thermostat controlled fan in a 2" hole, but no return hole! This is the original installation in our Belize 43.

I have always thought this is a bad solution and before I replaced the gasket the evaporator would freeze a big lump of ice at the top of the evaporator since I believe it would suck in warm moist air.

I believe I will provide for a return hole at the opposite side of where the suction hole is located.

Should the return hole be at the same hight as the suction hole?

Thanks for all replies.

Happy lead free sailing from Lucky
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 12:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

The fan only runs when the reefer gets too warm and wants some more cold air. When not running, the hole is small, mostly blocked by static fan blades, and should not be on the bottom so that cold air sinks through it and causes circulation. Hence, there is little air exchange between the two compartments until the fan runs.

I haven't seen installation instructions yet for any spillover system that says to put the spillover hole on the bottom of the divider. However, I do not regularly work on these systems, nor am I familiar with all of them. Certainly AB and Frigoboat - two of the more common ones - do not recommend this (AB says to put both holes on top, while Frigoboat says to put the spillover in the middle of the divider and the return on the top).

Mark

Old 22-04-2015, 21:27   #11

The CoolBlue cold plate system that I installed calls for a hole a couple inches from the bottom and a few small holes at the very top for spillover. Made sense to me. No fan required and only one point of adjustment- the adjustable size of the bottom hole.
Old 23-04-2015, 13:40   #12

Boat: Swan 48

Get rid of your system, I did. I don't eat meat and when I need cold I stock up on block ice - lasts for weeks - sometimes. All in all I use far less energy.
scottmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 14:43   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
The CoolBlue cold plate system that I installed calls for a hole a couple inches from the bottom and a few small holes at the very top for spillover. Made sense to me. No fan required and only one point of adjustment- the adjustable size of the bottom hole.

That is what mine is, except the dividing wall in mine doesn't quite go to the top.
I've bought a 40 mm 12V .1 amp fan that I'm going to put in the fridge part just to stir the air in the fridge as now the bottom of the fridge gets just below freezing, it freezes milk, but keeps beer perfect, so maybe I'll leave the fan off, we'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-04-2015, 07:53   #14

I had the same issue with frozen milk at first, but I just kept adjusting the hole size and now it's well tweaked in so that the top of the fridge is about 42 and the bottom is just above freezing. Love the ice cold beer in the growlers!

My next project is to mount the same kind of fan you're talking about in the freezer, pointing at the cold plate. Hopefully the moving air will help with both cooling and with reducing the frost buildup.
Old 24-04-2015, 07:56   #15

BTW, I highly recommend this wireless thermometer set for the fridge/freezer!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJVU78

Tags
refrigeration