Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2018, 17:28   #1

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Questions re Outhauls and Reefing lines

We sail a 2010 421. New to it, and sailing.

Can anyone explain why we don’t have a boom-end outhaul for the main? There is room, one sheave sits unused.

Also, our 3rd reef line passes through a grommet without the benefit of a block, like the other two. Why is this? Weight? Safety?

Cheers
Steve
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 17:39   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Questions re Outhauls and Reefing lines

If no outhaul, how is the clew secured?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 17:44   #3

Tied down to the end of the boom with several turns of lashings. The foot is free.
Old 23-06-2018, 17:58   #4

Boat: Expedition 36 Aluminium

Sounds like previous owner didn't realise the importance or concept behind the out haul. I would reinstate one.

The blocks are on the leach of the main I assume, nice luxury and makes for easier reefing. Third reef is not often used by most so I guess they saved some cost there. Cringle should be fine for the third reef, see how you go with resistance when you have a practice run. It will depend on how much resistance you already have.

Tim
Diamond Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 18:02   #5

I don’t think they come standard with an adjustable outhaul. There is no mention in the manual.

Yes, re the blocks. The reason I ask is that the 3rd reef line sometimes can take a while to “shake out”, so OCD me wants everything to look tidy. [emoji85]🤪
Old 23-06-2018, 18:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNut View Post
Tied down to the end of the boom with several turns of lashings. The foot is free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Life View Post
Sounds like previous owner didn't realise the importance or concept behind the out haul. I would reinstate one.

The blocks are on the leach of the main I assume, nice luxury and makes for easier reefing. Third reef is not often used by most so I guess they saved some cost there. Cringle should be fine for the third reef, see how you go with resistance when you have a practice run. It will depend on how much resistance you already have.

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
If no outhaul, how is the clew secured?
Doesnt sound like a factory arrangement to me. PO likely just lashed it down...maybe a provisional fix to a problem.

I agree, re route an adjustable outhaul.
Old 23-06-2018, 18:47   #7

So, do Lagoons come with outhauls as standard? Where do they lead to?
Old 24-06-2018, 01:02   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

They do not come with outhaul as standard. (at least, none of the several models I've seen / sailed, inc mine - 450F).

Standard setup for Lagoon Square top main is for the clew to be lashed back to the ring at the back of the boom, (pretty tightly) with a strap holding it down to the boom.

Reefing lines for Reef#1 and #2 are continuous line for tack and clew, but reef #3 only generally does the clew, and the tack has to be clipped onto a ring at the mast. There should be a strap with a clip attached to the main for this.

There are a number of people on here who have rigged their main differently, but it is after-market rigging.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 03:50   #9

Thanks Mark. So does that mean that having an adjustable outhaul doesn’t make much of a difference, given that Lagoon decided not to install one?
Old 24-06-2018, 05:43   #10

Quote:
So, do Lagoons come with outhauls as standard? Where do they lead to?
Ive sailed a lot of Lagoons, but dont recall at the moment. Realistically most cruising boats rarely touch their outhauls anyway so not a big loss for most.
Old 24-06-2018, 07:29   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Thanks Mark. So does that mean that having an adjustable outhaul doesn’t make much of a difference, given that Lagoon decided not to install one?
Caveat: I'm pretty new at this, and my sail trim isn't pretty average as yet, but no, I've not seen any issues with the way it is rigged. I'd say its tension is 'moderate to tight'.

From my limited understanding, the main time you'd want to let out the outhaull, is light wind, or downwind. With the cat, and the inability to let the boom out very far, I find that we're better off with a light air sail for those conditions. (not that I own one yet, soon though).

It would not surprise me if adding an outhaul to tighten up when going closehauled might help. I think there are a couple of people here who have switched a reefing line to be an Outhaul, perhaps they can comment.
Hope that helps !.
Regards
Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 07:42   #12

Thanks BelizeSailor and Mark. Very helpful.

We don’t have a light wind sail yet either. I figure it’s better to understand the two sails we have properly, before getting into something more.

We’re currently setting up new running rigging. Hence the questions.

(Making spliced ends in double braid without experience or fids is proving interesting. 🤪 )
Old 24-06-2018, 07:45   #13

Another reefing line question: what is the purpose of the jammers (2) located under the boom at the gooseneck for the reefing lines? They run to jammers at the helm anyway, and only hold the outboard end, if I am correct?
Old 24-06-2018, 09:36   #14

Boat: Cal-40

The reason and usefulness of the outhall at the clew of your mainsail is so you can tighten or slack the sail at this point for the wind conditions. This is an important part of proper sail trim. In general this outhall line travels from the clew of the sail and passes over a shive then down through the inside of the boom like your three reefing lines and it exits out the boom at the mast. Note that some older booms these same lines pass along the outside the boom and not through the inside. Once the line reaches the mast it then passes over another shive or through a block and can be routed to a cleat. The three reefing lines also make this passage but are most often routed to the deck then aft so you can control them from the helm.
You slack these lines a bit in light airs and tighten them as the wind picks up or anytime your sailing close to the wind.
Good sail trim is very important and setting up your boat to do so effectively will indeed increase the fun factor when your out there.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 10:25   #15

Thanks, SIberian Sea

Tags
outhaul