Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 10:49   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2
Q about Reefing on L400 S2

On our new L400, Reef 3 line is not attached to the luff of the main sail -- it is only attached to the leech of the sail. Is this normal?

There is some kind of attachment to the leech of the sail at the reef point, perhaps for manual attaching to the mast, but no lead ring and the line does not connect to the leech at all.

I wasn't sure if this was normal, or the lead ring had disappeared and the line is supposed to be attached there.

Both Reef 1 and Reef 2 connect to both the luff and the leech of the sail through lead rings.
Whomda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 13:19   #2

Re: Q about Reefing on L400 S2

That is as supplied by Lagoon. 3rd reef is manual hook on mast base.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 16:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
That is as supplied by Lagoon. 3rd reef is manual hook on mast base.
I knew that 400's used to be rigged that way, but I thought they had switched to single line in all reefs on the latest models.

My user manual states "On each reef you will find a stopper on the leech and on the tack" and has no special instructions for third reefing, the instructions are the same for all reefs. I know this is different than the older manuals, which had different instructions for reef 1/2 and reef 3, but I have no idea when it switched.

Note that my manual also no longer has the warning text prohibiting 100% Genoa and 2 reefs on the main.
Old 08-02-2016, 16:35   #4

"but I thought they had switched to single line in all reefs on the latest models"

Sorry was not aware of that, I was only talking from my experience with my L421 and L450.
It always seemed funny that the 3 rd reef, that one assumes is being put in when the weather and sea state are getting up, requires a trip to the mast base. The only down side to making the 3 rd reef a jiffy set up that I can see would be the extra line length required to go up and back to the 3rd Reef point on the leech of the sail.
Old 08-02-2016, 16:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
"but I thought they had switched to single line in all reefs on the latest models"

Sorry was not aware of that, I was only talking from my experience with my L421 and L450.
It always seemed funny that the 3 rd reef, that one assumes is being put in when the weather and sea state are getting up, requires a trip to the mast base. The only down side to making the 3 rd reef a jiffy set up that I can see would be the extra line length required to go up and back to the 3rd Reef point on the leech of the sail.
Yes, but you may also be right, which was why I was asking.

The manual switched to say nothing specific about 3rd reef, as I mentioned. But there's an additional clue, based on what you said -- the "description of the ropes" in the standing rigging section lists Reef 3 as having a shorter line than Reef 2 (30m versus 34m). So maybe you are right after all.

I'll keep looking around.
Old 08-02-2016, 17:32   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Yes the luff is attached to the ring on the boom with a shackle/soft shackle I think. The reefing line only goes to the leech to keep the line length shorter (20m I guess)
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 22:24   #7

There is sort of a conflict.
On the one hand, single line reef for the 3rd reef would need a very long line (50m?).
On the other hand, it seems strange, that for the 3rd reef that is deployed in the worst weather, there is need for a trip to the mast, that is not required for the 1st & 2nd reefs (admittedly - more frequently used).

What I am considering is to make the following adaptation:
Attach a new and separate line to the 3rd reefing point on the luff.
Lead this line to mast base block and then back to the cockpit.
It will certainly need an addition of a new clutch near the winches and probably a new turning block to lead the line along the cabin top.

Anyway - once this line is in place, the 3rd reef would be possible from the cockpit, albeit using 2 lines, one for the luff and one for the leech.
Old 08-02-2016, 23:01   #8

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
There is sort of a conflict.
On the one hand, single line reef for the 3rd reef would need a very long line (50m?).
On the other hand, it seems strange, that for the 3rd reef that is deployed in the worst weather, there is need for a trip to the mast, that is not required for the 1st & 2nd reefs (admittedly - more frequently used).

What I am considering is to make the following adaptation:
Attach a new and separate line to the 3rd reefing point on the luff.
Lead this line to mast base block and then back to the cockpit.
It will certainly need an addition of a new clutch near the winches and probably a new turning block to lead the line along the cabin top.

Anyway - once this line is in place, the 3rd reef would be possible from the cockpit, albeit using 2 lines, one for the luff and one for the leech.
I am thinking about 3rd reef too. Ideally just have line thru the 3rd reefing point and boom only and use some kind of large soft shackle and perform exercise directly from driver's seat area. And use current reefing line for luff only. Have not found satisfactory solution yet.

One can pull luff down but still have lots of flogging to deal with and fixing soft shackle can't see how can be done reliably.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:36   #9

I have described what I believe needs to be done to operate 3rd reef from helmsman's station.
To do that, the line that will control the luff must come back to the area of the winches.
I do not believe a ring will do the job properly, while there are (at least on our L400) free blocks at mast-step to direct the line aft.
Obviously, there is a need to anchor the line after sail comes down to the new position - at best a clutch or at least a cleat to secure the tail.
I have an extra clutch and block anyway as we have added an outhaul for the foot of the mainsail which comes back using the same path. I can free this clutch and block if weather worsens and pass the new reefing line through the same path back to the cockpit.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:57   #10

Boat: LAGOON 400

thanks for elaboration. Will have another look.

How do you use outhaul ? Is worth the trouble ?
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:24   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
thanks for elaboration. Will have another look.

How do you use outhaul ? Is worth the trouble ?
The outhaul is used like on any boat.
One end is at the clew of the mainsail, then inside the boom towards the mast and down.
When pulled - flattens lower part/foot of the sail. when freed, lower part gets more camber.
Anyway - I do not think it is worth the trouble on the L400.
I certainly use it to great effect on other boats I sail.
Old 09-02-2016, 16:09   #12

Boat: Baltic 52

There is always in-boom roller furling. Forespar makes a good one that is easy to operate single-handed on a multi-hull platform
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 16:31   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by phydeaux View Post
There is always in-boom roller furling. Forespar makes a good one that is easy to operate single-handed on a multi-hull platform
Good option but last Quote I had for L450 was North of $35,000 AUD and that was over a year ago. New sail and New boom and Vang required as well as installation.

Cheaper if supplied as original equipment.
Old 24-10-2016, 03:47   #14

I read through these posts again and perhaps I missed it - is there a dedicated eye bolt (indicated in the manual) for the connection of the 3rd reef at the mast or boom? Looked twice and don't see anything on our boat.

How are others connecting the third reef tack point when needed?
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote