Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-03-2014, 16:29   #1

Boat: 2004 Lagoon 410S2
Preparing for Cyclone in Oz

Hello all,
well this is not the way I was expecting the first week of ownership of our 410 to be turning out. With the tropical low coming towards the Whitsunday coast here in Queensland in Oz. We are currently ensconced in a marina berth on Hamilton Island. The Abel Point Marina on the mainland stopped is full and has stopped boats from now entering or leaving. Sails are coming off all the yachts and all marina trailable boats are being taken out of the water and stored on shore. We have doubled and tripled our dock lines and put out all our buffers. I have even bought new buffers to ensure we reduce our risk to minimal.
The headsail has been removed and stored. The main has been securley doubled tied down in its boom bag and the boom securely tied off on three points. We have our cyclone plan in place and preparing our emergency grab bag amking sure any required medications and glasses go in. All loose items have been removed and we have ensured all our phones, torches, computer etc have been fully charged.
If the storm is rated up cyclone, then at 12 hours notice we will be evacuated to the convention centre here on the island. No one will be allowed to stay on their boats. We have prepared the boat even though the cyclone has not been officially named. The authorities must be pretty confident as they have indicated that should a cyclone develop it will be named 'Hadi".
Oh the joys of boat ownership. At least the boat is insured. Will keep the posts coming as news comes to hand. In the meatime our survival food has been packed. Chips, chocolate, Jim Beam bourbon, Coke and lollies.

an anxious Greg and Sue
"SV Sunshine"

Old 07-03-2014, 16:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Preparing for Cyclone in Oz

At least you can be assured of getting one of the three main food groups for survival then in any meal. Chips, chocolate or alcohol.

Coops.

Old 07-03-2014, 17:07   #3

Boat: Oyster 53

Good luck with everything. It sounds like you have planned well.

Just remember your greatest enemy is chafe. Wrap chafe protection on all dock lines where they touch the boat - or touch anything. A dishtowel and cable ties will work in a pinch.

Perhaps you have a garish Ozzie sweater your great aunt bought for you. That will work too.

Good luck.

Dhillen (in calm, sunny Seattle)
Old 07-03-2014, 17:20   #4

Don't most insurance companies beg off when its a named storm??
Old 07-03-2014, 17:46   #5

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Tropical Cyclone Forecast Track Map Page (1)

Not good as Hamilton is not far from Bowen. I would prefer mangroves myself.

All the best.

Cheers
Old 07-03-2014, 17:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
We have prepared the boat even though the cyclone has not been officially named. The authorities must be pretty confident as they have indicated that should a cyclone develop it will be named 'Hadi".
Good luck weathering the storm.

For what it's worth, the names used for tropical storms in Australia follows a well-defined list. At all times we know the name of the next storm that increases to a named tropical storm.

The current tropical storm name list is on Wikipedia at:Lists of tropical cyclone names - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 07-03-2014, 19:32   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mentally prepare yourself to lose the boat. I don't know if this is literally correct, but there is a rumor that the piles at Hamilton were shortened after installation to such an extent that at high water plus a storm surge, they expect the marina to float off the top. The chap above who recommended hiding in the mangroves with a cat probably has the right of it, they mage superb wind protection.

I second the motion about the chafing gear. If you have any old flip-flops, zoris, or jandals, use them where the lines go around the cleats. Any chafing gear you can manage will help protect your boat. If you have left up an awning or weather cloths, it is best to remove them. Even in a marina, the least windage you can manage will serve you the best.

Good luck, mate, we'll be watching and wishing all of you up there to be well.

Ann
Old 07-03-2014, 19:51   #8

Boat: CSY 37 Plan B

Take the main off and strip ANYTHING else off the boat, tying it up isn't enough. Goodluck...
Old 07-03-2014, 21:10   #9

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006 Owner Version

If you are wondering around the marina could you look at Songline for us? We are next to the fuel jetty.
Hope all goes well and best of luck

Cheers
Ron.
Old 07-03-2014, 23:35   #10

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Seems the track is moving closer to Hamilton/Mackay than previously (I am in Mackay).

Hopefully it will be more rain than wind as seems to be indicating Cat 1 only.

Cheers
Old 08-03-2014, 01:08   #11

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

The system in the gulf of Carpentaria has been named Gillian, both cyclones are predicted to cross the coast at about the same time at cat 2.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:35   #12

Boat: 2004 Lagoon 410S2

Hello all,
well the low continues its track sow west and expected to be named in the early hours of the morning. Winds have increased moderately and are going from almost no wind to 25 knots in seconds and swinging through 360 Degrees.
I whole heartedley agree that I would rather be in the mangroves but the directos of our insurance company have decreed that you are covered if in a marina. Go figure.
While we have stripped the boat of almost everything this is our first ever cyclone we will be going through. I have followed the advice of the local and very experienced yachties I left the main in its bag the have very securely tied the bag to the boom with stout line. It also has several redundant lines should one or more fail. If more than a Cat 1 or Cat 2 cyclone I would take the main off.
As to not becoming to attached to my boat, to late. From what I have been told you are correct that the pylons for the marina have been reduced in height as they were not asthectically pleasing to the eye. And this is from a guy who owns sail boats. Go figure. We are in the safest part of the marina but if the tidal surge is such that the marina goes over the pylons then I can assure you our claim will be one of the cheapest ones.
Ron, already gone over to your boat and checked her out.She's snug as a bug in a wet rug. I will keep an eye out on her for you. Love the stainless snubbbers. They will look great on our boat.

Greg and Sue
SV Sunshine
Old 08-03-2014, 01:45   #13

Good luck with it, mate,

We've anchored in Vanuatu waiting for a cyclone to pass over, stripped the boat as well as possible (our main was wrapped, too), and the cyclone went elsewhere. So we never had to sit it out at anchor.

But I know about waiting, and waiting..........and waiting, and it's hard, even though nothing's happening, or perhaps because nothing's happening--yet.

Like I said before, best of luck with it. It's an ugly feeling looking down those barrells of that shotgun!

Cheers,

Ann
Old 08-03-2014, 02:09   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Living on dirt waiting for our new yacht to be built.
Boat: Half built Bestevaer.

Chocolate and Jim Beam you are ready

Tie on a couple of extra lines for me. Don't forget to inspect the neighbours and the surrounding area for loose objects.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:43   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Chocolate and Jim Beam you are ready

Tie on a couple of extra lines for me. Don't forget to inspect the neighbours and the surrounding area for loose objects.

Good luck.
Good suggestion Noelex. Anything unsecured, when accelerated to 50-60+inots can do a lot of damage.

Hope they're well.

Ann

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: