Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 08:51   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Owners Version vs. 4 Cabin Layout

We made the decision to buy a 44, but are now hung up on the layout. Any opinions on 3 cab versus 4 cab layouts?

The owners version seems cooler and spacious, but is it really practical. Do owners really use the desk space and small sofa that much? Would a 4th cabin be better use of that space? How about for resale, is one better than the other? On the bareboat charters I've done I'm only down below when I'm sleeping.

Anyone have regrets buying one layout versus the other?

Thanks.
sailingforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 09:12   #2

Boat: PDQ32
Re: Owners Version vs. 4 Cabin Layout

We have an owners version of the FP Orana 44 and certainly do not regret our choice. If the boat is in charter you will see less revenue but also less wear and tear.
On resale owners versions usually sell for more.

Henry

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-10-2014, 09:24   #3

Boat: Lagoon 38

We have a 380 lagoon owners version and we (wife) loves it. You can actually take a shower in comfort and space however a 44 may have that space with the 4th bedroom. My experience in looking at many used cats is that the owners version were more expensive to purchase. I guess it depends on how often and how many guests you plan on having aboard. Good luck enjoy the search for your boat!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 20:32   #4

Boat: Leopard 50

We bought a 4 cabin 440 and it definitely meets our needs and gives us the flexibility of more guests and/or storage room or pantry as we spend our time upstairs and doing short trips The 4 cabin bathrooms are however pretty narrow when you are seated .... but enough said there ! So decide if you might need guest beds or want liveaboard luxury /space. From our observation, the demand for 4 cabins is equally as strong.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Boardshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 01:46   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I prefer the owners version. The space in the owners hill is much nicer to live in than the other hull. Yes owners versions are more expensive but as you are buying used there's no Benifit to either as you will be paying the premium for the owners version and receiving that when it comes time to sell. If you are on the fence I'd try stay that way to leave more options when boat shopping. No need to have your heart set on an OV when a fully loaded 4 cabin may come up at a much better deal. I'm not sure what head arrangements the 440 came out with but I would avoid a 4 head version and go for a 2 head with larger shower space if that's an option. Also you mentioned taking it to the med. I'd seriously consider buying in the med I that case. You would probably save 20K + just on the delivery which would go a long way toward charter costs in the Caribbean in the mean time. Look for cats in the med that haven't had vat paid, so most likely ex charter or foreign flagged, but all used yacht sites specify vat paid status..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 07:46   #6

Many thanks everyone. I think what I'm hearing is it is personal preference depending how you will use the boat. The Mrs. will want the large OV, but I like the lower cost and more cabin approach. This is just going to be an interim boat to sharpen our skills before moving to the 450 for cruising, so I think we can be flexible and buy "best available" on the market.
Old 27-10-2014, 07:54   #7

Boat: Leopard 40

I think it depends what you want to use it for. We are living aboard, and I refused to consider an owner's version. Catamarans are notorious for lack of easily usable storage, unless you like diving under your settee or bunks for food. So, we're turning our forward starboard cabin into a pantry/work room.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 08:03   #8

That was actually my thinking, but I wanted to check with others. It just seems to me the desk and sofa area are not the best use of space in a limited space environment.
Old 27-10-2014, 12:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

The owners versions are always in demand - so could help with resale value. I rarely see anyone cruising who needs three guest cabins. The larger head with possible separate shower is the big draw for me.

I have seen several four cabin boats with one of the cabins converted to a workshop / storage area. Always seems like a good idea.
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 12:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I am not an owner. But I would prefer an owners version for long term cruising and liveaboard.

I think the small sofa/seat and small desk/shelf on some is not practical, and would prefer larger hanging lockers instead.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 14:47   #11
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

We love the owner's version L440. Whilst we don't often sit on the sofa in the owner's cabin, we do occasionally and it otherwise serves as a good spot to temporarily place clothes or other items...and (importantly for the Admiral) it looks nice! The desk in the cabin is often used, allowing us to have a desk each basically. Most importantly and as others have suggested, the bathroom arrangements (including the closed shower cell with a seat; the large(ish) sink+vanity; and the walk-through wardroom inside the closed bathroom door) are excellent, amoung the best for a vessel that size.

Steady Hand's comments about preferring more hanging space are fair enuf and that might be a legitimate criticism of the L440 owner's version layout. That said, there is at least some reasonable hanging space in the walk through wardrobe...and we also use the guest cabin wardrobes for overflow, including our wet weather gear and so on.

There is certainly a case for the extra berth if you're likely to have lotsa guests, but we rarely sail with guests. Guests on board for a day outing is another matter, but we don't need berths for that and, as the OP will know, the L440 handles lotsa guests easily. Even when we do sail with guests it's another couple (or perhaps a family) such that the two cabins (and two heads) in the 'guest wing' cope nicely.

Good luck with your purchase!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 15:42   #12

Boat: Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
That was actually my thinking, but I wanted to check with others. It just seems to me the desk and sofa area are not the best use of space in a limited space environment.
We chartered an owner's version and, other than catching clothes, wasn't much use. Yes, the shower is larger, but even my 6'4" husband can fit in the smaller shower. A pantry/work space is much better use of space.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 06:19   #13
TOT

Comfort is King, the owners version is what is says, A Better Option For The Owner...
Old 31-10-2014, 02:43   #14

L450 with 4 cabins and we are almost always using the 4 cabins to take friends out. The showers on the L450 are ample.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin