Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 09:50   #16

Boat: Lagoon 42'
Re: Order New Lagoon 42

Hi Steve

She is tied up next to the Yacht Sales office at Watergate Yachting Center, after arriving from Fort Lauderdale last week.

There is a preview showing this weekend (tomorrow), and she will be on display at the Southwest boat show at SouthShore Harbor the following weekend.

Well worth a drive down from Austin.

As far as I know, this one has not been sold, but I can't say for sure without checking with the dealer.

Cheers
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:57   #17

Boat: L42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matagorda View Post
Hi Steve

She is tied up next to the Yacht Sales office at Watergate Yachting Center, after arriving from Fort Lauderdale last week.

There is a preview showing this weekend (tomorrow), and she will be on display at the Southwest boat show at SouthShore Harbor the following weekend.

Well worth a drive down from Austin.

As far as I know, this one has not been sold, but I can't say for sure without checking with the dealer.

Cheers
Can't wait
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 07:56   #18

I drove down to Clear Lake yesterday and spent some time aboard. Apparently its the only one available this year anywhere. I was very impressed, unfortunately I am a year or two out before a purchase. They have done a nice job with refinements and its certainly near the top of my list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lagoon 42.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	120942  
Old 19-03-2016, 16:45   #19

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Hi Steve

Yes, I fell in love with with the 42 at first sight. Ticks almost every box for me.

The factory have apparently sold over 100 now, so should be a very popular model.

Cheers
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 16:51   #20

I can't believe how many still order a lagoon new with all the major issues they have been having. There are better choices in cats for the money. FP for one.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2016, 17:32   #21

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
I can't believe how many still order a lagoon new with all the major issues they have been having. There are better choices in cats for the money. FP for one.
Your Opinion: obviously differs from many others who likely looked at FP and others .
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 04:32   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
Your Opinion: obviously differs from many others who likely looked at FP and others .
How many others are marine surveyors?
I sugest you look at the sinking of the lagoon 500 for a rare look into how the boat is assembled. Glue and foam are a common theme, as is a design with no watertight bulkheads.
http://www.lagoonlitigation.com/acci.../the-accident/
Old 20-03-2016, 08:21   #23

Boat: Lagoon 50

Quote:
I sugest you look at the sinking of the lagoon 500 for a rare look into how the boat is assembled. Glue and foam are a common theme, as is a design with no watertight bulkheads.
The Accident » Lagoon Litigation
Ouch!!

But I really doubt that fp is much better.
warren460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 23:27   #24

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
The Accident » Lagoon Litigation
that is real issue. Pics of couple of lagoons circulate internet that inverted and stern submerged.

I think one should have ability to add buoyancy, using tyre tubes for example, just in case, before storm and deploy to back bedrooms etc. With 70 l per minute 12 v pumps, cheap life insurance.

Mine appears done correctly but can be sure only if boat flipped. Forward one is fine.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 01:45   #25

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Quote:
http://www.lagoonlitigation.com/acci.../the-accident/

I suggest you look at many more production boats, both mono & multi, & maybe even power boats & report how unsinkable they all are & how true they are to their marketing drivel before carrying on about one manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 04:51   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspeak View Post
I suggest you look at many more production boats, both mono & multi, & maybe even power boats & report how unsinkable they all are & how true they are to their marketing drivel before carrying on about one manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

I have a list of boats to not buy, lagoon cats are one.
Its really a theme for the company. I have seen bilge pumps, routed to shower drains. All sorts of odd things on them. Honestly if they made a watertight bulkhead on each engine room, and added some floatation foam aft, they would be 1/4 of the way to good. I would also like to see floatation foam in between the hull and liner, and for them to install proper flanged seacocks.
Old 21-03-2016, 05:36   #27

Boat: Lagoon 42

I think that you should absolutely Not buy a Lagoon, you would not be happy at all. But, to be fair, the quality of the Fountain Pajot boats are not as good as Lagoon. The last two years, we saw the FP44 and now this year the new 40 FP, and the fiberglass was so thin you could see the cloth print through the gelcoat. Perhaps it was just the ones we saw, new boats at the Miami boatshow, but until recently,we too were convinced the Pajots were the choice for us. We changed our minds. In the end, it is up to each individual to spend their money where they see fit, and live with the good and the bad. No boat is perfect, and often spending a great deal more, does not necessarily remedy this problem. Good luck to you, in your boat quest. I promise to be a gentleman and compliment your Pajot, if you do the same to my Lagoon!
Chris S/V Saltrun
Saltrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 05:57   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Order New Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matagorda View Post
Hi DeepCut

Which delivery option did you go for? We are still tossing up between a skippered delivery across the Atlantic Vs the high cost of marine freight on a container vessel. A Lagoon 450 was delivered to Texas last year on her own bottom with 500 hours on the Yanmars. Not sure how they managed to fit in so much motoring but it seems like a lot of early wear and tear on the boat before handover.

Methinks the owners picked a very bad delivery skipper/company.. object to earn as much as possible in as short a time as possible at the owners cost..

If we go for a skippered delivery on our boat in winter there may be a few storms about in the Bay of Biscay, but probably better than your situation with hurricanes brewing in the Caribbean in July.

Best all round time to aim for would be a September/early October departure (later means heavier weather and much smaller windows) from Les Sables/Rochelle... the Biscay bit just needs a 2 day window to reach N Spain then its downhill to the Canaries, Cape Verdes and across..

Another question for you:

Last week, we had had a good look over the 42 (the one from Miami show, and in the video) which is now at Clear Lake, Texas. After crawling all over it, we have adjusted our thinking on some of the options selected. How much time did the factory give you before their 'drop dead' date on locking in options?

Cheers
Best wishes with your dreams...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 06:13   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

You guys buying new lagoon don't hit anything with it.
They had a brand new 44' (I think) in the yard in Tortola that the owner took out on maiden voyage and ran aground on some rocks. He punched a hole in port side hull about eight feet wide. You could read the newspaper through the laminate it was so thin, and I have never seen so may voids in the layup as this boat. More than 50% of the laminate was not wetted out with resin and was completely dry. If this is the norm for their quality control I would be VERY scared of the structural integrity of there hulls.
Just sayin.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 11:48   #30

I wonder if its possible to have a thread about a new Lagoon without the "Lagoon Bashers" showing up? All boats have things that I would alter to my tastes, I still intend to purchase one. Like ANY vessel I would purchase I intend to have it surveyed before acceptance. All high volume production vessels can and will have issues. I will do my best to avoid running it aground or hitting rocks.

This thread is NOT about that. I guess discussions about Lagoons are like any topic that mentions;

Cat vs Mono
Best Anchor
Best anti-fouling paint
etc..

Tags
lagoon