Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 21:19   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
noisy shrouds

on a brand new lagoon 56, as soon as the winds picks up, the shrouds start vibrating and the noise inside the aft cabins is very loud....
anyone with the same problem? possible solution??

Not from halyard banging on the mast, it is just the vibration of the shrouds that act like strings of a bass guitar
__________________

enrigenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 22:55   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2015
Boat: L 450
Posts: 107
Re: noisy shrouds

in the 450its not the shroud .
it is the topping lift who starts singing.

Check the topping lift


M
__________________

Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 23:53   #3
Registered User
 
markpierce's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Central California
Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Posts: 3,563
Re: noisy shrouds

Something is too loose.
__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 00:53   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 801
Images: 17
Re: noisy shrouds

On my L450 it used shake the mast and shrouds a lot, but it was caused by the Topping Lift vibrating. It could be lessened by loosening the main sheet off a bit. The vibration was a combination of wind speed and tension on the topping lift.

Solved the issue by having a place to park the boom on the hard top, that allowed the topping lift to be let completely off and no more problems.
__________________

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:50   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 897
Re: noisy shrouds

The shroud noise that you refer to is present on our L400 in moderate to strong winds. It is caused by the black poly rigging covers being not a tight fit over the shrouds. They start to rattle and the vibration is transmitted to the hulls via the chain plates.
I've had a modicum of success by straining a rope between the two shrouds. Alternatively, I've met those who have removed them and replaced with smaller lamb's wool rubbing protectors where the mainsail contacts the shrouds.

The "shroud vibration" is distinct and different from the "topping lift hum". PaulinOz's advise is relevant to the latter. On a good night both will be pumping, and you might even get a base beat from a slapping halyard or lazy jack line. Try leaving fishing rods rigged with dyneema braid in rod holders for some whining treble sound.

Welcome to the world of boats! If you can't sleep while getting accustomed to the boat's sounds, I recommend rum.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:06   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 1,521
Re: noisy shrouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
The shroud noise that you refer to is present on our L400 in moderate to strong winds. It is caused by the black poly rigging covers being not a tight fit over the shrouds. They start to rattle and the vibration is transmitted to the hulls via the chain plates.
I've had a modicum of success by straining a rope between the two shrouds. Alternatively, I've met those who have removed them and replaced with smaller lamb's wool rubbing protectors where the mainsail contacts the shrouds.

The "shroud vibration" is distinct and different from the "topping lift hum". PaulinOz's advise is relevant to the latter. On a good night both will be pumping, and you might even get a base beat from a slapping halyard or lazy jack line. Try leaving fishing rods rigged with dyneema braid in rod holders for some whining treble sound.

Welcome to the world of boats! If you can't sleep while getting accustomed to the boat's sounds, I recommend rum.
nice one ! Will check your theory next time. Mine start at 25 kn wind. It bothered me initially, but now if anchored, I know when to get more alert.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 00:10   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Boat in Greece, Beach cat in Israel
Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat
Posts: 851
Re: noisy shrouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
On my L450 it used shake the mast and shrouds a lot, but it was caused by the Topping Lift vibrating. It could be lessened by loosening the main sheet off a bit. The vibration was a combination of wind speed and tension on the topping lift.

Solved the issue by having a place to park the boom on the hard top, that allowed the topping lift to be let completely off and no more problems.
If topping lift wibrates I would loosen it. Not the mainsheet.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 06:09   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Re: noisy shrouds

i am used to the topping lift hum, but this is different, in fact even with the mainsheet completely loose there is no change in intensity or pitch of sound.
I suspected the black rigging covers and Tuskie confirms that, I'll see how I can try to fix this, at least a bit ...
not a problem for me , but I can feel that the new owner of this new boat won't be very happy!!
I'll double the rum in his cocktails!!
enrigenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:06   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Sydney
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 1,521
Re: noisy shrouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigenna View Post
i am used to the topping lift hum, but this is different, in fact even with the mainsheet completely loose there is no change in intensity or pitch of sound.
I suspected the black rigging covers and Tuskie confirms that, I'll see how I can try to fix this, at least a bit ...
not a problem for me , but I can feel that the new owner of this new boat won't be very happy!!
I'll double the rum in his cocktails!!

idea:
push black covers down to close water exit, once water fills inside covers = no hum 1 or 2 litres will do on each side
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 13:13   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 35
Re: noisy shrouds

..and I can use that as emergency water tanks....
enrigenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2016, 14:33   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 801
Images: 17
Re: noisy shrouds

"If topping lift vibrates I would loosen it. Not the main-sheet."

Either, will work both contribute to topping lift tension. I use to set boom height with topping lift then hold it in place with main sheet.
__________________

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2016, 08:12   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
Emerald Sea's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Live-aboard Cruiser
Boat: Lagoon 450
Posts: 628
Re: noisy shrouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrigenna View Post
I suspected the black rigging covers and Tuskie confirms that, I'll see how I can try to fix this, at least a bit ...
Consider drilling a series of small holes along the length these black shroud covers. This will disrupt the air flow going around the circumference and reduce or even stop the harmonic vibrations.

We were able to overcome this on our 450 by playing with the tensions on the topping lift and mainsheet as discussed above.
__________________

__________________
Steve
SV Emerald Sea
L450
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
shroud

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noisy Freedom Inverter / Charger Alan Wheeler Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 35 10-06-2018 13:05
Noisy Yanmar riptide Engines and Propulsion Systems 12 25-09-2009 18:24
Noisy Crown Head II kipwrite Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 1 22-06-2009 16:16
Noisy Borg Warner vickyruairi Engines and Propulsion Systems 12 16-03-2009 17:18
Noisy Wind Generators happy adventure Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 84 27-12-2008 10:17



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 22:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.