Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2019, 10:52   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: No 6-pack, no insurance. Huh, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
No it's not. In fact, the racket is that you have to pay to have someone teach to the test. The reality is no one who pays the money to have the class ever fails and anyone who goes straight to the Coast Guard would have to spend lots of weeks/months studying. I think it's 120 questions w/ 30 devoted to Rules of the Road, of which you can only miss 3 as you must get a 90% on that portion to pass.

Here is an easy sample question:
INTERNATIONAL & INLAND At night, which lights are required to be shown by a dredge on
the side of the dredge which another vessel may pass?
A. One red light
B. Two red lights
C. One white light
D. Two green lights)
answer 2 green on a vertical line.
And no I don't have a ticket of any kind ( anymore that is )
was unlimited engineering)
Old 27-09-2019, 06:37   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
spend a day filling out the forms and get a 6 pack. They feel of you and if you are warm and can copy the rules of the road they give you one.
Yeah...good luck with that.
captjamied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 06:44   #63

Boat: Sea Ray 410 Sundancer - 44ft LOA

Just moved to southeast Florida. Based on what I am seeing, they have a maximum IQ of 100 to operate a vessel down here. Scary!
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 06:52   #64

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

I’m a licensed captain that has done the 40 hours with new boat owners with no experience required by their insurance company.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:01   #65

Boat: Gulfstar 50' Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
So, what is your sailing resume'?

You must have presented some basis of training or experience? First boat?
My insurance is with Markel of my 50' Gulfstar Ketch. I filled out a long resume of sailing experience and boat ownership including documentation they didn't ask for. Plus indicated that I was in the process of obtaining my OUPV. There were not further questions but it was a part of the process. In there shoes I would be doing the same. I'm an unknown entity to them and am looking to purchase and insure a 50' - 35K lb Sailboat. Yeah, I would ask also, who is this guy because the liability could be great. I have seen just about as much "Stupid" on the water as I have on the roads.
CptJ-GS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:14   #66
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tashing, Panda, 38

Hi, that sounds like one companies requirement. I have recently written several cats for new owners. Send me a PM if you would like to discuss.

Laura
blueblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:14   #67

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

I bought a Lagoon 42 2017 Catamaran in the Caribbean last April. I had the asa 101-114 classes and some sailing experience in the Caribbean and the Chesapeake.

I went with Hugo Hanaman, someone already linked him, and he was fantastic. I still could not get a carrier to cover me without hours with a certified captain. I ended up with a young lady, less than 1/2 my age, and an odd assortment of crew.
She was very young so I try to give her credit. She knew how to navigate (by phone app 100% of the time) and navigational rules. Paper charts she could not read, she could not remember after several days the name of our boat when hailing other vessels, and the only sail controls she was confident with were the throttles. Again she was very young and I applaud her gumption. She had taken a captains class, twice, and passed.
There are Captains, and there are those that hold Captains certificates, some have both.

We all learned a lot about sailing in the 32 days from The Carribean to the East Coast.
Old 27-09-2019, 07:23   #68

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

Question: Does your insurance company know that you are not going to take paying customers out sailing? Perhaps if you make that clear, they will drop the requirement. A 6-pack license is what is required to take up to six paying passengers for a sail. It is not needed if you are not going to do that.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:32   #69

A few years back a friend called me asking if I knew a CG licensed Captain to take a new 57’ Jeanneau from Virginia down to St Thomas. I reminded him I had a license and he put me in touch with the owner. The owner asked me to contact his insurance company. With 50 years of sailing on boats up to 70’, 10 international races, etc the insurance company had only one question. How many times have I sailed this route? I hadn’t. I was disqualified.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:51   #70

I HAVEN'T HAD THE PLEASURE:.. of getting a 6-pack partly due to the lack of recent experience required to qualify. It's about what has been done in the previous three years.....

Understanding the insurance business is like figuring (the odds) in a horse race. For some price, an insurance underwriter WILL TAKE THE BET.

The idea is to make it more comfortable for you. TRAINING is a WAY. As a long time aviation buff and sailing enthusiast, I have been a voice for using experience and training to off set the cost of operating aircraft/boats..

Problem is that while many 'think' they would be educationally TAXED in an aircraft without training, they somehow consider themselves ABLE to operate a boat without so much as an instruction book.

My job as aviation buff was to use my experience in aircraft operations to aid new buyers with 'the insurance problem'. How? by setting in the right seat and providing an experienced crewman AND instructor in a particular type aircraft. I being a crew member, meant the cost of insurance went down...

So much so that the difference in cost would often PAY MY KEEP for a term while the primary pilot got 'up to speed' on the equipment. I could earn enough by just being there to justify a lower primum.

The result is some major RISK REDUCTION for the insurance company.
avnbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 07:54   #71

This discussion is somewhat academic. The OP hasn't returned to provide relevant details such as "Whom" is indicating that they need an OUPV license and the extent of their boating experience.

Everything else is anecdotal.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 08:12   #72

Getting your six pack license is not as easy as filling out forms and copying rules of the road. If you are not going to hire out why do it? There are plenty of insurance companies to insure you without the requirement you are speaking of.
gregk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 08:16   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriadel View Post
We are interested in purchasing a 2018 Lagoon 42 and were told that we could get insurance however, if we don't have our 6-pack we would have to hire a captain(who has a OUPV) to move the boat for us (every time, even if we wanted to go out into the harbor) or its not covered.

Is this correct? Is this something new?

Also, who are some of the insurance companies that can help us out and what are you charged?

Proper insurance coverage is a must(for us anyway)
I do insurance approved Owner Orientation. It comprises a 5 Day Cruise and Learn format. Goog YachtAide
aeronautic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 08:22   #74

Boat: Jeanneau DS 43

I agree that the 6 pack test is demanding, as it should be. The other guy taking it when I did failed. The auxiliary requirements, health, hearing, vision, merchant mariner, are time consuming.
sailoray531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 08:30   #75

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriadel View Post
Also, who are some of the insurance companies that can help us out and what are you charged?

I have signed off on insurance with Markel, Pantaenius America, and BoatUS/GEICO. I suggest you start by callling Gowrie/IMIS (brokers) for a quote.

Let me know if I can help. I'm based in Annapolis.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance