Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 23:44   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006 Owner Version
New sails for lagoon 410s2

Hi all, it's time for a new set of sails for my Lagoon 410 s2. Question being, do I go for the same as the boat came with (2006 model) or has there been advancements in sail design that I should take advantage of? Such as square top main, or in the long run am I just waisting money?

We use the boat for cruising and live aboard eight months of the year

Thanks
catstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:39   #2

Boat: currently boatless
Re: New sails for lagoon 410s2

Hi CS,
we have just purchased a L 410 and hope to take ownership in the next week or so. While our sails are the original (2004) they are in reasonable condition but we intend to renew them as soon as the budget allows.
There have been significant improvements to sail cloth since 2006 with some very good cruising sales made of superior materials that are lighter, maintain shape and are very cruiser friendly.
I was intending to discuss the best cut sales with the sail maker to determine if a square head on the main would be cost efficient against improvement in performance. I was more interested in having a gennaker attached to a torsion halyard and a endless furler. This seems to me to be a very easy system of deploying and retrieving a genacker and then easy dropping of the system for storage. Very first mate friendly and easy to douse in windy conditions.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Greg and Sue
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 23:53   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241
Re: New sails for lagoon 410s2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hi CS,
we have just purchased a L 410 and hope to take ownership in the next week or so. While our sails are the original (2004) they are in reasonable condition but we intend to renew them as soon as the budget allows.
There have been significant improvements to sail cloth since 2006 with some very good cruising sales made of superior materials that are lighter, maintain shape and are very cruiser friendly.
I was intending to discuss the best cut sales with the sail maker to determine if a square head on the main would be cost efficient against improvement in performance. I was more interested in having a gennaker attached to a torsion halyard and a endless furler. This seems to me to be a very easy system of deploying and retrieving a genacker and then easy dropping of the system for storage. Very first mate friendly and easy to douse in windy conditions.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Greg and Sue
Greg & Sue,
I can recommend Charles Wallace at Doyle Sails, Airlie Beach. He outfitted Seabreeze with new main, genoa, stack pack & bimini when I picked her up before our delivery cruise. At my request he made the sails with Contender Fibrecon. After 2.5 years they still look like new. I forego the idea of a square head main or cruising laminate material.

The only problem we have had is the bimini material.

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, sail, sails