Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 05:07   #1

New Lagoon leadtime from factory

Does anyone have an idea of the leadtime from factory for a new 52S

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
tribusue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 06:10   #2
med

Re: New Lagoon leadtime from factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribusue View Post
Does anyone have an idea of the leadtime from factory for a new 52S

Why not ask them?
med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 01:58   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop

My 450S is getting delayed. Original estimate was spring, now it's late June or July. Ordered a month ago.
They probably have sold more boats than planned so they had to reschedule.
It's a bit like my job, Volvo Cars, we expected to sell 50 000 XC 90 this year and ended up selling almost twice as many. Gives interesting problems with logistics since the suppliers also must gear up suddenly.
In a business like the catamarans, the numbers are much smaller but that also means that changing production is harder: the plants are a given size and building a new one is a high cost, high risk, investment.
If you order now, I wouldn't expect you to have it until this time next year.
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 09:40   #4

Boat: Lagoon, 52

We ordered our New 52F in November and the current splash date is early March. We are really excited as this is our first boat purchase.

LagunaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 21:58   #5
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Maybe the S series are a bit delayed with retooling etc. generally the contract will have a specified launch date, with a decent penalty rate for late delivery.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 14:48   #6

We ordered a 450F just after the Newport boat show and our delivery date is mid June.

JayEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by afriis View Post
My 450S is getting delayed. Original estimate was spring, now it's late June or July. Ordered a month ago.
They probably have sold more boats than planned so they had to reschedule.
It's a bit like my job, Volvo Cars, we expected to sell 50 000 XC 90 this year and ended up selling almost twice as many. Gives interesting problems with logistics since the suppliers also must gear up suddenly.
In a business like the catamarans, the numbers are much smaller but that also means that changing production is harder: the plants are a given size and building a new one is a high cost, high risk, investment.
If you order now, I wouldn't expect you to have it until this time next year.
We ordered a 450F in October and expect delivery late June.
JayEnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 17:16   #8

Hi. Just thought I'd post an update on our 52F we ordered in November. The boat was completed and in the water around the 17th of March this was effectively right in time from their original estimate when we bought the boat. We visited the factory in Bordeaux about a week before it went in the water which was amazing. I highly recommend a visit if you are buying one. Good luck! Picture of "Summer Kai" below. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1459815336.783328.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	122010

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-04-2016, 18:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaRed View Post
Hi. Just thought I'd post an update on our 52F we ordered in November. The boat was completed and in the water around the 17th of March this was effectively right in time from their original estimate when we bought the boat. We visited the factory in Bordeaux about a week before it went in the water which was amazing. I highly recommend a visit if you are buying one. Good luck! Picture of "Summer Kai" below. Attachment 122010

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Your boat is the most beautiful Lagoon 52 I have seen yet. The blue hull looks georgeous¡¡¡ Do you have more pictures to share?
Another question, are you planning to hire crew for your boat? Will you sail it shorthanded? I am planning to order my 52 within the next 4 months, and the size of the boat is a bit overwhelming to be sailed shorthanded. 'd like to hear your opinion just before I make my final decision.

Thank you
tribusue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 20:28   #10

Thank you Tribusue! We are really excited about the boat. We plan to sail it short handed with my wife and two kids. If you've chartered a larger cat (Moorings 4800 or the like) and sailed it short handed, I don't think it will be that much of a problem (famous last words!). That said, I was really focused on the fly bridge model for a few reasons: 1) I can see both bows really well up there; 2) I think it will be easier to quickly get to other parts of the boat from the fly bridge as you have quick egress from the fly bridge form either port or starboard. I think the keys to safely sailing the boat shorthanded will be 1) reducing sail early; 2) being patient and minding weather windows; and 3) Keeping as simple as possible and getting everyone on the crew involved (Kids are 12 & 4). Of course, nothing is full proof. For longer passages the plan would be to bring additional crew on board to manage with watches and for safety.

Our current plan is to keep it on the east coast this summer and get to know the boat (we live in California) and then at the end of 2017 take the kids out of school and take off for an extended cruise of the Caribbean. I'll post a few more pictures for you... Good Luck and Keep In Touch!
Old 05-04-2016, 07:07   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop

I agree, it really looks good!
We are still waiting for our 450S, it is supposed to be delivered in Croatia in late August and Maiden Sail will be in mid September.
Blue hulls look nice but is a pain to maintain. OTAH, you have two kids ;-)
I have four kids but they have had their fill of polishing sailboats and are leaving for college one by one.

Sailing shorthanded shouldn't be too much of a problem, we opted for the Sportop just because we wanted to be closer to each other and the stern when docking. Here in the Meditteranean, everybody backs up to the dock so you need to handle ropes and engines together.

When sailing, it is as you say, just reduce sail etc early so you don't have to fight the elements with large sails and heavy ropes.

Regards,
Anders
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:28   #12

Afriis,

That's a great point about being close to the stern... I never thought about that. I'm always worried about looking forward. We did get back stern cameras on the boat which I hope will help. However, when we tie up to the stern, I'm going to need my first mate on the lookout! By the way, it will be fun to watch the kids cleaning the hulls (for awhile anyways). Congrats on your boat! We hope that we can get to the med one day but we're going to take it slow and head through the caribbean first.

Tags
lagoon