Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2016, 19:51   #121

Boat: FP Elba 45
Re: NEW LAGOON 42 coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Hi PeterP, thankyou for the comments on the boat , can i ask you a question though, if you didn't own a 400 which would you think you would buy a cheaper 400 or the more expensive 42

Hello Almack, what a good question, I am assuming you are referring to either a new 400S2 or a new 42S not a used 400. Well firstly you would have to establish the current best buy price you can negotiate on both, then add the cost of the extra’s you require over and above the cost of the standard boat and there are many to choose from and can easily add A$120K plus to both before you can establish just how much cheaper the current 400S2 actually is. The two craft are quite different, the L42S has the new set back mast which effects the rest of finished product such as the compression post in the middle of the saloon, a self-tacking jib, the stairway to access the main sail, an option for a hard top bimini, you may not like the compression post in the middle of the saloon you may prefer a larger jib etc. etc. There are two main negative in my view on the 42S, storage and water. If you want a gen set you lose one water tank leaving you with only 300 ltr of drinking water, the obvious solution is a water maker however a good one is going to cost around A$25K plus the hassle of looking after it and if the water maker failed when far away from a tap? I did ask some questions re water makers at the show, one manufacture advised 12 volt is fine the other said 240 volt is the only way to go, re the later a gen set is then required. The L400 has the gen set comfortably under a seat in the rear saloon area with two 300 ltr tanks in the same position up front as the 42S allowing a much more comfortable 600 lts of drinking water and the gen set, of course delete the gen set from the L42S option list and problem fixed for you but not the next buyer of your boat or if sometime down the track you decide you want a gen set, there is no room to fit one, other than a petrol driven small gen set which are useful but none are as nice as a factory fitted 7 kva diesel built in, which will run a reverse cycle 45K BTU air conditioning, run any 240 volt angle grinder, drill etc. just press a button and she starts immediately, solving any problems you may have with a toaster, a bread maker, a micro oven, plug in a 240 volt battery charger if you like. I was on a nice downwind sail from Melbourne one weekend and decided to start up the gen set plugged in my 240 volt Gerny and washed down the L400 whilst sailing home. So the Gen set downside, heavy and about A$75K with air. The L42S has just two small storage areas under the seats in the outside saloon area one of which is taken up by two gas tanks, the L400 in the same area has at least three times as much storage, I think these are important high value storage areas because they are easily accessed, I store my mooring lines, boat hooks there, things I might need in a hurry when tying up to swing mooring or a pontoon, whilst there is good storage in the front bow lockers of the 42S and the L400 they are very deep and not quick and easy to access, I have a couple of foldaway bicycles stored in the locker in front of the saloon, trust me you can never have enough storage, when you live on the craft for a couple of weeks you realize these things make life more relaxed and comfortable. On a more minor matter that struck me was the inconvenient position of the oven.
So has been often said all boats are a compromise one has to choose what suits you, for me if the L42 had at least the same storage as the L400 and had two sinks and only one head in the port hull I would buy the L42 but sadly it does not, and I don’t think there is a significant difference in size or sailing performance. The L42S has a lot to like as I described in a previous post however for now to answer your question the L400 gets the nod. As always just my opinion.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 01:59   #122

Boat: TBA

Hi PeterP,

Yes i was referring to new build boats, i have resolved the issue of tank and generator by installing a smaller 5 Kva set , i require no air con only heating, the cockpit storage is resolved by changing out the helm seat and building a storage box under a new seat, the sink (unfixable) galley storage via a series of drawers in the seating areas, these are my thoughts for the 42.

The 400 i don't think needs much changed although i don't like the beds pushed up against a wall but apart from that i could live with it.

Thanks for you opinion though it was greatly appreciated because i'm stuck between 3 boats 42,400 and the leopard 45 (18 tonnes)
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 02:42   #123

Boat: FP Elba 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Hi PeterP,

Yes i was referring to new build boats, i have resolved the issue of tank and generator by installing a smaller 5 Kva set , i require no air con only heating, the cockpit storage is resolved by changing out the helm seat and building a storage box under a new seat, the sink (unfixable) galley storage via a series of drawers in the seating areas, these are my thoughts for the 42.

The 400 i don't think needs much changed although i don't like the beds pushed up against a wall but apart from that i could live with it.

Thanks for you opinion though it was greatly appreciated because i'm stuck between 3 boats 42,400 and the leopard 45 (18 tonnes)
Aclmck, good luck with your decision making process. I quite like the Leopard practical design, the new 45 will be another craft to offer more competition to the other brands, the end result should be a better product for us all.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:47   #124

Boat: Lagoon 42

I was notified this week by my Lagoon dealer, that the exterior colors on the new 42 are changing. The Lagoon factory has been idle for August holiday, and they notified us on Wednesday that the colors for the outside canvas and cushions was changing from beige to grey. I even signed a new PO showing the color change. Not a big deal, might look better actually.
Chris
SV Saltrun
Saltrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2016, 12:06   #125

Boat: None

loving the new superbly spacious Lagoon 42 .....
brainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon