Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 02:36   #76

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: NEW LAGOON 42 coming soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkstar View Post
Seems the 42 is a Bigger Version of the 39.. People here disliked the 39,, But love the 42. Interesting
1. 39, 42 and 52 are one lagoon style.

2. 400 and 450S another lagoon style.

39 and 52, when I met them, not exactly thrilling performance which is surprise to me as boats look fine. Maybe issue with driver.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 06:31   #77

Boat: Balance 442

A lot of talk about performance here. What I would like to know though, is how these boats (the new 42, 38 and 45) behave in wind in excess of 40 knots. How is the reefing system on the main and can you roll the self tacking jib and actually use it in 40 knots of wind. Does it keep shape.

I plan to sail with my wife so this will be a single handed experience . How easy are these boats to handle by a single person in heavy seas/strong winds.
promanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 07:58   #78
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

No worries pro
https://youtu.be/EBpjaJkbMQ0
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2016, 08:02   #79
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

Always excited to see any new Lagoon!
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 00:31   #80

Boat: 1980 Aloha 34

I agree with mjeneau and peterp regarding offering a 2-head version. Just my wife and I. The occasional visitors could share a head. Either make the guest head larger or use space savings for storage/pantry.

Maybe a later build they will offer such an option? Do you think Lagoon monitors these threads to get customer feedback or would it be worth writing the company directly?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BionicT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 03:26   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicT View Post
I agree with mjeneau and peterp regarding offering a 2-head version. Just my wife and I. The occasional visitors could share a head. Either make the guest head larger or use space savings for storage/pantry.

Maybe a later build they will offer such an option? Do you think Lagoon monitors these threads to get customer feedback or would it be worth writing the company directly?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
is not that simple. more heads is desired from structural point of view, i believe. more bulkheads, more rigidity.
Old 18-04-2016, 07:24   #82

Hi arsenelupiga,

I'd be relatively happy with the same layout but instead of the toilet/sink/etc in the head, if they turned it into shelving for a pantry. Keep the bulkheads as is if needed. Maybe if one buys new Lagoon would accomodate that?

It seems unlikely to be just a bulkhead structural issue though because the 3-cabin owner's version already has such an open layout (at least on one-half the boat). Doing a similar layout on both sides would seem to make the boat even more balanced.

BionicT
Old 19-04-2016, 05:58   #83

Boat: I want Lagoon 42

Quote:
Hi arsenelupiga,

I'd be relatively happy with the same layout but instead of the toilet/sink/etc in the head, if they turned it into shelving for a pantry. Keep the bulkheads as is if needed. Maybe if one buys new Lagoon would accomodate that?

It seems unlikely to be just a bulkhead structural issue though because the 3-cabin owner's version already has such an open layout (at least on one-half the boat). Doing a similar layout on both sides would seem to make the boat even more balanced.

BionicT
I just typed a whole thing and my browser crashed so now I will be shorter.

don't get me wrong I like the 42 and want one...

what I want to do is live aboard and the 3 or 4 cabin version seems not to suit the space requirements for stuff/food/etc... a live aboard might need or event a place to relax/laydown on a comfy couch to read/TV

I attached a picture of what I think would be good , what do you thnk?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lagoon 42-31.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	122846  
mjuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 10:58   #84

mjeneau -I think your layout is interesting.

I would do port side exactly as you sketched out.

On the starboard side I would be hesitant to give up the commodious forward head. If I was (and hope to be) a live-aboard, I think a large head associated with the owner's cabin would be space well spent. I'm sure my wife would agree.

However, I see the value of having a separate tv/lounging area if living aboard. Maybe the wife or I want a private "fortress of solitude" as a retreat. I've only done trips up to 3 weeks on board so I can't judge how we would react in close quarters for months on end.

I see the forward lounging area as an improvement on the typical amidships desk in the owner's version. Given the mobility of laptops and tablets I'd rather be above with the scenery than use a desk down below. Turn the desk area into more useful storage.

Again this all speculation on my part. Would love to hear what real "live-aboards" think about separate lounging space.

BionicT
Old 19-04-2016, 11:36   #85

Quote:
mjeneau -I think your layout is interesting.

On the starboard side I would be hesitant to give up the commodious forward head. If I was (and hope to be) a live-aboard, I think a large head associated with the owner's cabin would be space well spent. I'm sure my wife would agree.

BionicT
I know I'm still not sure I'm right on the line 50/50...

the 2 reasons I would do it this way is
1. while living on the hook water usually in short supply "no long showers" so having a big shower space seems too much wasted space.

2. I know my wife would probably claim one bathroom for her self anyway and I would have to use the other one.

one reason I don't like it is that the hall way might be tight

Mike
Old 29-07-2016, 17:52   #86

Boat: TBA

Just been onboard the new 42 at the Sydney Boat show and liked the boat , the boat has a lot of features i like but has a few i don't and require a bit of thinking to make the boat workable for me, the issues i have with the boat are as follows

1.the galley only has 1 cupboard with a shelf , 2 o'heads, and a drawer plus 2o'heads above the fridge it does have 3 open shelve sets and a trash cupboard ,the comparison to other boats leaves it short of space for live a boards
2. the cockpit has only 2 smallish lockers one for gas/propane and the other is behind the helm seat
3. the cockpit floor is lowered by about 10 inches/250mm to the l45 and therefore there is no floor above the motors for storage
4. the cockpit seat cushions have "raised edges" on the cushions cutting off leg circulation for shorter people, the transom seat is too narrow to sit for any length of time.
5. the helm seat is too uncomfortable (for me) it has arkward foot rests and generally unacceptable
6. if ordering a washing machine you lose all but 500mm of hanging space
7. the 2nd water tank cannot be ordered if you want a generator as it sits in that space
8. the rail from the helm to the cockpit roof is a bit of a miss it is too short

9. limited positions for a bbq and a outboard when the dinghy is up on the davits. more stainless is required.

10. the cockpit lighting may be ok but appears to be lacking , it has 3 small leds over the walkway
11. refrigerator is too small and the icebox needs to be turned into a freezer otherwise its useless

12. the cockpit fridge option is too small for any more than a few people (we all drink a lot) but a different model would work well.
13. the electric sheet winch has no foot control at the helm only on off switch up at the base of the winch

Storage space forward is generous in both hulls if they aren't fitted out as cabins, ample space for fenders and ropes but not a lot of spare space once the essentials are loaded, some space is available around the motors.

i wasn't allowed on the roof but the top of the boom is about 2 m off the roof so easy enough to reach.

plenty of roof space available for solar, the design of the roof going forward is a good hand hold but like most other boats the cockpit area is lacking it has no hand holds at all not even for boarding

at its narrowest point it is 3.25m between hulls so a large dinghy should easily fit on the davits.

the boat was not fitted with covers for the helm or cockpit but the areas should be good with them fitted, the helm will need at least a "windscreen"

lighting inside the boat was very good

the boat was bright and comfortable with plenty of air circulation

the bedding was generous and access easy.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 01:05   #87

I have checked L42 as well. Notably wider hulls, even than L450.

Different hull design that seem to support faster reaching and downwind speeds, maybe on expense of windward ability.

L42 comes out brighter and nicer than L450 that is sitting just next to it but L450 is much larger boat.
Old 30-07-2016, 01:20   #88
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Just been onboard the new 42 at the Sydney Boat show and liked the boat , the boat has a lot of features i like but has a few i don't and require a bit of thinking to make the boat workable for me, the issues i have with the boat are as follows

1.the galley only has 1 cupboard with a shelf , 2 o'heads, and a drawer plus 2o'heads above the fridge it does have 3 open shelve sets and a trash cupboard ,the comparison to other boats leaves it short of space for live a boards
2. the cockpit has only 2 smallish lockers one for gas/propane and the other is behind the helm seat
3. the cockpit floor is lowered by about 10 inches/250mm to the l45 and therefore there is no floor above the motors for storage
4. the cockpit seat cushions have "raised edges" on the cushions cutting off leg circulation for shorter people, the transom seat is too narrow to sit for any length of time.
5. the helm seat is too uncomfortable (for me) it has arkward foot rests and generally unacceptable
6. if ordering a washing machine you lose all but 500mm of hanging space
7. the 2nd water tank cannot be ordered if you want a generator as it sits in that space
8. the rail from the helm to the cockpit roof is a bit of a miss it is too short

9. limited positions for a bbq and a outboard when the dinghy is up on the davits. more stainless is required.

10. the cockpit lighting may be ok but appears to be lacking , it has 3 small leds over the walkway
11. refrigerator is too small and the icebox needs to be turned into a freezer otherwise its useless

12. the cockpit fridge option is too small for any more than a few people (we all drink a lot) but a different model would work well.
13. the electric sheet winch has no foot control at the helm only on off switch up at the base of the winch

Storage space forward is generous in both hulls if they aren't fitted out as cabins, ample space for fenders and ropes but not a lot of spare space once the essentials are loaded, some space is available around the motors.

i wasn't allowed on the roof but the top of the boom is about 2 m off the roof so easy enough to reach.

plenty of roof space available for solar, the design of the roof going forward is a good hand hold but like most other boats the cockpit area is lacking it has no hand holds at all not even for boarding

at its narrowest point it is 3.25m between hulls so a large dinghy should easily fit on the davits.

the boat was not fitted with covers for the helm or cockpit but the areas should be good with them fitted, the helm will need at least a "windscreen"

lighting inside the boat was very good

the boat was bright and comfortable with plenty of air circulation

the bedding was generous and access easy.

I tend to agree as I also had a look at a L420 and although it is a nice boat l found it to not be as nice as the L450 (I own an L450 so this was never going to be easy) yes l know there is a significant difference in price but you get what you pay for and l just found some of the compromises too much.

I agree with your well thought out comments, just added a few of my own -

1. I would be worried about the Freeboard as the boat sits low in the water.

2. The freezer is hard to reach the bottom.

3. The navigation desk in the salon would be very uncomfortable to create your chart plotting from as it is far too deep.

4. Not sure l like the idea of removing stair treads to access the hull escape hatches.

5. The davits are restricted to 170kgs.

6. The davit winch is a fair way from the davit itself.

7. Most of the storage area on this boat (including the galley) are just cut outs with a shelf (I think they did this to reduce weight and costs), doors would be more appropriate for blue water sailing and appearance.

But hey this boat is fast becoming a record breaker the way it is selling so it obviously appeals to a lot of boaters.

The above is just my opinion and l hope it does not offend anyone as l am sure they are a great boat.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 30-07-2016, 02:31   #89

Boat: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
I tend to agree as I also had a look at a L420 and although it is a nice boat l found it to not be as nice as the L450 (I own an L450 so this was never going to be easy) yes l know there is a significant difference in price but you get what you pay for and l just found some of the compromises too much.

I agree with your well thought out comments, just added a few of my own -

1. I would be worried about the Freeboard as the boat sits low in the water

2. The freezer is hard to reach the bottom.

3. The navigation desk in the salon would be very uncomfortable to create your chart plotting from as it is far too deep.

4. Not sure l like the idea of removing stair treads to access the hull escape hatches.

5. The davits are restricted to 170kgs.

6. The davit winch is a fair way from the davit itself.

7. Most of the storage area on this boat (including the galley) are just cut outs with a shelf (I think they did this to reduce weight and costs), doors would be more appropriate for blue water sailing and appearance.

But hey this boat is fast becoming a record breaker the way it is selling so it obviously appeals to a lot of boaters.is

The above is just my opinion and l hope it does not offend anyone as l am sure they are a great boat.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Hi ToT,

i had the advantage of the 45 and 42 sitting side by side the bridge deck clearance is about the same the side decks were as well, the hulls are fatter than the 45 and different shape. although the cockpit floor is about the same height out of the water it has a flat floor so appears to be much lower than it actually is (very deceptive really)
i agree with the rest of your comments though
the compression post seems to dictate the saloon layout and i wonder if a couple of chairs that were removable wouldn't be a better option instead of the bench seat. I liked the boat though and am working on solutions for most of the areas i found inadequate( mostly resolved these now)
Iv been told the davit system was good for 250kg so i'll need to check this out further
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 04:25   #90

Hi thanks for the insight, I will be visiting them at this September Genoa boat show (I hope). Can somebody give me a little comparison on the 400 compared to the 42?

there are many things I like, and things I don't like similar to what was stated above.

I think most models are missing a Hull layout of a cruiser version, where there is extra storage and sitting areas.

Tags
lagoon