Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 07:50   #31

Boat: I want Lagoon 42
Re: NEW LAGOON 42 coming soon

well if lagoon would give me one I would be happy
mjuneau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 14:07   #32

Boat: Lagoon 400 S2 #497

Any news on the price?

Sent from my SM-P605 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
mcmanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:15   #33
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Lagoon's marketing dept are seriously preparing for the next boat show.
Quote:
The performances of this boat are amazing and the images speak for themselves: 20 knots of wind and a speed of 16 knots!
Unquote

That's why Gunboat is bancrupt )

http://mob.cata-lagoon.com/mob_lagoo..._uk.php?id=802
Old 13-03-2016, 17:31   #34

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Two things, no decent multi should sink, and I am not making predictions based on anything other than direc t experience with a range of boats including the lagoon 39 My offer still stands, $1000 is on the table. (I realise thats in the south pacific peso, but its still a fair amount of money for an old retired gentleman)
Dont take the bet with Factor; helmsman and crew is much more important than boattype. A more interesting race would be me and my Lagoon 380 against Factor in a Leopard 38 or 38.
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:32   #35

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Now SVI, you know this new L42 won't do 16kts in 20kts of wind. That's just silly talk.

Not everyone is seeking a race boat, and I agree it's nice to have a variety of boats out there meeting a variety of needs. With that said, yesterday I came up from Egg Island, to Little Harbor, Abaco's at the same time as a Lagoon 39 and an old Whitby 42 ketch. Distance was 54 miles, winds 12-14kts @90 degrees. I got I at 2:30, the Whitby got in about 4:30. The L39 got there just before sunset. It's getting a bit much when a Whitby 42 can beat a cat by 2 hours. I don't care who was behind the wheel. Unless they spent two hours reeling in fish. I can only hope for their sake. This story aside, from many observations I've made the newer Lagoons are some of the slowest boats out here. They are lovely to live in, and if that's at the top of your priority list, fine, I get it. But for the select few who are still arguing there's been little to no sacrifice in speed...time to take a physics class.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2016, 19:35   #36

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Oh, SVI, sorry- just reread your post...didn't catch you were poking fun...
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 03:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Dont take the bet with Factor; helmsman and crew is much more important than boattype. A more interesting race would be me and my Lagoon 380 against Factor in a Leopard 38 or 38.
Thanks for the advice Django!

The owners of the only Lagoon 39 I know aren't into racing either. They are mostly novice sailors. That being said, I have regularly witnessed that boat take out groups of 10 or 12 people, in comfort and safety, for trips of a few days to more. The novice sailors manage to operate, manoeuvre and even sail the boat. They return happy. Isn't that what this type of cruising catamaran was designed for?

The new L42 is of similar breeding, but has shown it is capable of a turn of speed in the right hands, as you have shown with your L380.

Congratulations on your trans- Atlantic success! You have really smoked a few of the more pretentious "performance" catamarans. Good onya, Mate!
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 04:02   #38
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I don't know about silly talk 4Cs this is pretty impressive but probably not your normal cruising
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 04:31   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I don't know about silly talk 4Cs this is pretty impressive but probably not your normal cruising
Is that the 4th or 5th time that same video has been posted here in the last few days?

Looks like Lagoon is really going all out on the publicity.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:04   #40

So why do people get so fired up about Lagoon posting a video showing the performance of their newest designed boat?

I can go back through the various topics on this and there are numerous people stating that it is going to be as slow as a pig because of it sail area to displacement. Now this boat that hit 16 knots in 23 of wind (for however brief of time) was definitely not loaded for long term cruising, no dinghy...but it was a boat with 6 people aboard and equipped with a generator and A/C.

When Outremer sends me sales videos of their O45 doing 18 knots in 26 of wind their is no dinghy...no details of how the boat is loaded.

I guess I come from the car industry and wonder why a lot of people find it hard to believe that actual progress is made in the designs of these boats to optimize performance. Yes I get the whole "its basic physics" thing since I'm an engineer myself, but to think the best and brightest minds in the marine industry aren't harnessing the computer modeling horsepower that is now available that simply was not 20 years ago is silly.

Yes, professional guys sailing the boat in optimal conditions for a brief period of time. Is it a performance cat, hell no, it is not intended to be. I think all Lagoon is saying is that this is not your fathers catamaran that was designed in the 90's and incremental progress does happen. Maybe I'm missing something though...fun topic regardless!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:28   #41
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

ol1970, I don't think anyone is suggesting that the design of catamarans is stagnant, or that advancements in CAD can't help in maximizing performance. Neverthless, your car analogy fails to make your point on the issue of performance to the extent that if today's automobiles are faster, they are faster because current technology has improved the power to weight ratio and aerodynamic efficiency over designs from 20 years ago. Cars are lighter due to more efficient packaging, increased use of aluminum and thinner steel where permitted by finite stress analysis and smaller engines having higher output.

With the new Lagoons, there has been no revolution (nor I suspect evolution) in the power generated by a square meter of sail area. Simply put, the horsepower is down.

Secondly, in order to increase living space the weight has actually gone up. Moreover, windage has also increased and, when one considers that the displacement has also gone up (and that the length to beam ratio of the hulls has gone down), it is hard to imagine that there has been any hydrodynamic gains.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 08:08   #42

Southern Star, I'm not saying todays cars are just faster, I'm saying they are more dramatically more efficient. I should have clarified that. Your statement about cars getting lighter really is not accurate. Actually cars have gotten a lot heavier mostly due to the regulations that the government imposes. There is so much more "stuff" that is on cars these days that were not years ago. A lot of this has been offset though through some of the things you mention.

Random example...the curb weight of a 1996 Camaro with a V8 was about 3,300 lbs, a 2016 Camaro is 4,100 lbs. with a V8. I don't even need to go into performance details but it is night and day in every single category and 25% +heavier. Hell for that matter a modern Toyota Camry would probably smoke it. Greater performance (fuel efficiency, comfort, handling, speed) is achieved through a myriad of technological improvements that together make the difference.

No boats other than offshore racers have the type of engineering horsepower that goes into designing cars, but some of the technology that was developed for other industries spill over into the marine industry. Yes boats are heavier, more comfortable, and floating condo's...but I'm just contending that they have made progress. You are right it isn't revolutionary, but it is progress.

If there were only formal races that tracked times and various boats where you could compare real world data...
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:56   #43

I really don't understand the most of you here. The only thing they talk about is speed and performance, bud anyone who wants to buy a multihull is not looking for a racemonster or whatever but wants comfort and space and a boat that doesn't heel over all the time. So if you can't imagine what we future cruisers want from a vessel please stop arguing about speed and performance. This is the future of sailing around the world I'm quite sure about that one.

I love the layout of the Lagoon 42 it is a one of it's own in this class.
sanderkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 13:05   #44
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Sanderkemper, if you read the entire thread you would see that no one is suggesting that performance is the sole, or even the primary criterion in choosing a cruising catamaran. Rather, many are questioning Lagoon's claim for the preformance of this particular boat.

While I don't have your prescience to know what the future will be for sailing around the world, I do know that at present performance is important to some of us; indeed, it would seem that Lagoon recognizes this as they have featured that in their promotional video.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 13:40   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Sanderkemper, if you read the entire thread you would see that no one is suggesting that performance is the sole, or even the primary criterion in choosing a cruising catamaran. Rather, many are questioning Lagoon's claim for the preformance of this particular boat.

While I don't have your prescience to know what the future will be for sailing around the world, I do know that at present performance is important to some of us; indeed, it would seem that Lagoon recognizes this as they have featured that in their promotional video.

Brad
Well Brad,

I started this thread with the question if there are more people to find who consider or did buy a Lagoon 42. To discuss with them all the issues why we love this cat so much and what options we should put on our list. I did not start this thread to argue about the speed and performance of this ship. That is why I said I don't understand those who are (off topic) discussing about speed and performance.
sanderkemper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon