Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2017, 10:43   #16

Boat: Lagoon 42
Re: New L42 owner - thoughts and questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Sailor View Post

So, the point of my message here is (1) congrats on your purchase, (2) do your homework and stay on top of DYC in general from now through the end of your charter life, and (3) good choice on Antigua as its a great location in general and the only DYC base manager in that area that's worthy.
Thank you. Yes, we know well the issues with DYC BVI base and I would never put a boat there (although they are changing the base manager so things may improve) - same goes for St Martin. We got sufficient feedback about all bases to feel comfortable that the Antigua base was the best option, as the experience of owners and customers has been universally positive. So I was very happy to hear that you had the same experience.
Thanks again!
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:53   #17

Boat: None, Currently (though looking)

Interesting - I wasn't aware of that change. Good luck and I suggest you stay very on top of everything! Maybe one of these days I'll be aboard your boat - in some respects I'm very jealous!!!
Breck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:31   #18

Congrats!.

Do you have more information on the financials that you ran? We have been thinking about it as well. But there are so many open questions. Really curious if you have more information.
xnnb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnnb2 View Post
Congrats!.

Do you have more information on the financials that you ran? We have been thinking about it as well. But there are so many open questions. Really curious if you have more information.
Send me a PM. I'd glad to chat via email or phone.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:56   #20

BlueBuddha:

Congratulations on your L42! We were in Annapolis as well and may have crossed paths. I had Hull #146, Ocean Song, with TMM. Unfortunately, OS was an Irma casualty. She arrived on 8/24 only 13 days before Irma hit. We were suppose to be on our maiden charter 9/30 -10/21. Our boat was moored beside DeepCut's L42, Sea Tiger.

Obviously I think you made a very good choice. My wife and I looked at most of the boats you mentioned and kept coming back to the 42. There are clear compromises, but that will be the case regardless of the boat one ultimately chooses. The #1 issue we have with the 42 is the cockpit storage. We went with the owners' version, with storage in lieu of the love seat. We plan to live on board for 2- 5 years after charter. I think my wife and I have come up with storage solutions for the galley, but the cockpit is more of a challenge. We ordered the cockpit fridge due to charter, but it might be better as a storage space in her post-charter life. We have also though about a storage bench on the open side of the cockpit table. One very good solution I saw on another type of boat was a large Yeti cooler on slides. It slides several inches under the table leaving plenty of room to walk and it creates great storage. It was divided so that one section could be used for dry storage and the other as a cooler. There are many options for a storage bench at the table. We also found nice hanging mesh bags for fenders and snorkel gear. There are definitely storage solutions out there.

Adding additional high storage under the existing port-side high storage in the galley was another thing we've thought about. The great, open feel of the 42 is, at least in part, accomplished by not having storage spaces around every corner. Having spent much of my sailing life on monohulls, I was ready to come out of the cave. Hand holds, and tight quarters are nice when heeling and in rough weather, but tight quarters are not fun once one arrives at one's destination.

We don't know what insurance is going to do on our boat but we have reserved a build slot for another L42 (we expect a total loss). We made the purchase on Thursday at the boat show. We were told our slot should come out of the factory in September or October 2018, so we will not be too far behind you.

Do you know your Hull #?
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 14:12   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woodall View Post
BlueBuddha:

Congratulations on your L42! We were in Annapolis as well and may have crossed paths. I had Hull #146, Ocean Song, with TMM.
Do you know your Hull #?
Hi Jim, thanks! So sorry again to hear about Ocean Song. I always loved that name. I'm glad to hear you placed another order. We also have a delivery date of Sept or October. We have the sample plans of moving into the boat once it comes out of charter.

Unfortunately, they did not have a hull number yet for me. DYC had a slate of 7 L42 ordered already but they did not have hull numbers to assign to the owners just yet. They say it may be a couple of months before we get hull numbers.

Are you going to keep the new boat with TMM? We seriously considered it but we decided for the guaranteed income program of DYC as we are a bit risk averse (although that sounds ridiculous in the context of buying a boat )

Anyhow, let's keep in touch. We will likely start cruising at the same time.
Nestor.
Old 11-10-2017, 20:11   #22

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
So, we did it. After visiting all of the boats in our price range at the Annapolis Boat Show, we placed an order for a new Lagoon 42. Delivery expected September/October 2018.

We considered the FP Lucia and Helia, the Leopard 40 and 44, and the Lagoon 450S. After spending time in all models, we decided the Lagoon 42 made the most sense for us.

Questions:
Anyhow, now that we jumped in the Lagoon wagon, is there a Lagoon 42 owner's Facebook group?

For other L42s owners, any options you got but now regret getting? Or alternatively, any options you did not get but now wish you got? We have some flexibility on the options and have a few months to make final decisions given that the buil will likely not start until the late winter spring.

Thank you all!
S/V BlueBuddha
Hi Blue Buddha

Congrats on the new boat. You will love the L42. She is a great boat.

Yes. We looked at all of these models also and came to much the same conclusions.

We are very happy with our Owner's Version Hull #60.

The one main gripe we also have is the lack of cockpit storage space.

We are gradually figuring out some workaround solutions for this, but we have found that we need to be a little creative. For the moment, we are using the port forward head for additional storage as one option. We also utilize the bow storage compartments extensively for light weight items, and have installed S/S ladders on the bulkheads below the deck hatches for ease of access.

We will also install a storage compartment above the cockpit fridge (below the helm station). We have checked the space and it looks fine for a small compartment.

For long slender items such as boat hooks, fishing rods, etc. we will hang these on clips under the cockpit roof.

The only other slight annoyance we have is with the helm seat. It is too low, and the circular cross section back cushion protrudes too much into the seat area and prevents getting into a comfortable position. This I especially annoying on longer passages. I notice that "Bec10" has posted her solution, at least for the height problem.

Regarding options we chose, the boat is fully loaded except for:

- Code Zero (we added the bowsprit option, but will get our own Code Zero. We also have an assymetric kite with sock which we will use on the sprit or fly the tack from a dead eye which we will mount on each bow.)

- Watermaker. Because we ordered the genset, we didn't go with the 12V watermaker option. We will install a high voltage / high capacity watermaker and run it from the genny.

For cruising we are adding to the three x 120W solar panels, and probably another 300 Amp Hrs or so of battery capacity to the existing 450 Amp Hr house bank.

The boat is pretty heavy now that we have loaded our cruising gear on board, but it is sitting higher than we expected and we are still happy with its performance.

The only other recommendation we would make is that a factory visit is very worthwhile. We weren't going to do it because of the expense, but glad we did. Olivier D'Enquin looked after us very well and we learned a lot about the build process, and identified the location of plumbing and wiring runs which we could never get to see after the deck goes on.

Good luck and hopefully the next year of waiting time will go quickly for you.

Cheers
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 03:23   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matagorda View Post
Hi Blue Buddha

Congrats on the new boat. You will love the L42. She is a great boat.

The only other slight annoyance we have is with the helm seat. It is too low, and the circular cross section back cushion protrudes too much into the seat area and prevents getting into a comfortable position. This I especially annoying on longer passages. I notice that "Bec10" has posted her solution, at least for the height problem.
Thanks! We also noted the helm seat problem. I heard from the dealer they are making many changes to next year's model, so hopefully, this will be fixed. Otherwise, we will likely simply replace the bottom cushion with a custom extra firm memory foam cushion of the right thickness. We also have the height problem but we can increase the seat several inches by changing the cushion. Although we would have to come up with a solution for the backrest given that it would now sit to low on your back. Maybe before we truly take off, we may get the entire seat redesigned.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:47   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
Hi Jim, thanks! So sorry again to hear about Ocean Song. I always loved that name. I'm glad to hear you placed another order. We also have a delivery date of Sept or October. We have the sample plans of moving into the boat once it comes out of charter.

Unfortunately, they did not have a hull number yet for me. DYC had a slate of 7 L42 ordered already but they did not have hull numbers to assign to the owners just yet. They say it may be a couple of months before we get hull numbers.

Are you going to keep the new boat with TMM? We seriously considered it but we decided for the guaranteed income program of DYC as we are a bit risk averse (although that sounds ridiculous in the context of buying a boat )

Anyhow, let's keep in touch. We will likely start cruising at the same time.
Nestor.

Buddha:

Thanks, we meet several Lagoon owners in Annapolis in similar circumstances a brand new boat - recently delivered, destroyed or heavily damaged by Irma, that they had never seen in person.

We are definitely staying with TMM! Barney and Lin Crook, TMM's owners have been great. Barney has kept us updated and has answered almost all of our questions. Of course, there are still many unknowns and Barney is in the same wait-and-see position we are in on those issues. Because Ocean Song was in Road Reef Marina and accessible, she has been surveyed. Hopefully the insurance settlement will happen relatively soon. Keeping our fingers crossed!

I talked to many owners from various charter companies and I think TMM owners have been given much more information than most. There are still many TMM owners without nearly as much information as we have because their boats were in Paraquita Bay and they are not fully accessible for survey. I heard horror stories from several owners about one charter company that (according to the owners) has been totally unresponsive. I heard the charter company representative at the show giving two owners the runaround about their boats. I feel lucky to be with TMM, they have really been working hard for us.

Even though OS had just arrived on Tortola, we already had enough charters booked (after charter expenses) to triple-down on our loan payments once the income stream started. We did make a big down payment, so our monthy mortgage payment was very reasonable.

Our actual re-order hinges on the insurance settlement, but if that comes through as hoped we will place the order. I don't know if I mentioned it but I have someone to take my build slot if things don't work out. I will keep you informed, and lets compare Hull #'s once we have them, it sounds like our boats may be buddies in the factory!

PM me sometime and I'll give you some interesting information I picked up in Annapolis.

Jim
Jim Woodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 06:32   #25

Congrats!! We'll watch for you "out there". We too have the anxiety pain of the next year waiting for our new 450 we ordered at the show as well. Funny, we thought we were set on the FP Helia but my wife and I both found the Lagoon much more comfortable, ergonomic and in some ways, "simple". We will be in charter as well but with SailCaribe out of Puerto Rico and Redhook. Now if I could just hit the fast forward button pin the next six years!!!!
BobScaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 06:35   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobScaggs View Post
Congrats!! We'll watch for you "out there". We too have the anxiety pain of the next year waiting for our new 450 we ordered at the show as well. Funny, we thought we were set on the FP Helia but my wife and I both found the Lagoon much more comfortable, ergonomic and in some ways, "simple". We will be in charter as well but with SailCaribe out of Puerto Rico and Redhook. Now if I could just hit the fast forward button pin the next six years!!!!

Excellent choice. And we love Sail Caribe! Definitely let’s keep in touch. Seems there are several of us with plans of taking off at the end of the contract! .
Old 19-10-2017, 07:50   #27

Boat: Lagoon 42 ( on order)

Hi Guys- This is my first post on CF so hope I am following correct protocol...
I also just bought a new Lagoon 42. I am taking delivery in France in August '18 then sailing the med for a couple of months before I do the ARC back to Carib. It is for my private use and I expect to spend the first year at Hurricane Hole in the Bahamas. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate any comments on:
I ordered the boat pretty loaded up ( inverter, watermaker, upgraded batteries etc) but did not opt for the solar panels. I thought I could have them installed later cheaper.
I picked up somewhere a comment about stress cracks at the stern padeyes caused by flying a chute. Does anyone know if this has been corrected?
Finally I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with the Iridium GO?
Houndfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 10:49   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndfish View Post
Hi Guys- This is my first post on CF so hope I am following correct protocol...
I also just bought a new Lagoon 42. I am taking delivery in France in August '18 then sailing the med for a couple of months before I do the ARC back to Carib. It is for my private use and I expect to spend the first year at Hurricane Hole in the Bahamas. I have a couple of questions that I would appreciate any comments on:
I ordered the boat pretty loaded up ( inverter, watermaker, upgraded batteries etc) but did not opt for the solar panels. I thought I could have them installed later cheaper.
I picked up somewhere a comment about stress cracks at the stern padeyes caused by flying a chute. Does anyone know if this has been corrected?
Finally I would love to hear if anyone has any experience with the Iridium GO?
Congrats!
- We ordered the solar panels because it was required by DYC, but I've heard similar suggestions that you may get better panels for a bit less in the aftermarket depending of where you have them installed. There are some areas where the labor cost is so expensive that you may have been better off getting them installed at the factory. So check the prices in the places where you thought you would do the installation.
- We have not heard about the stress cracks. There are several owners on this thread so hopefully, they will chime in.
- I've been on passages with both the Iridium Go and inReach. Both work great but have slightly different applications. I like inReach for no other reason than the ability to only pay when I need it. However, it does not provide a signal to your computer like the InReach does, so that is one major limitation.

Best, n.
Old 20-10-2017, 09:29   #29

Boat: Lagoon 46

Congratulations on your Lagoon 42. I have mine just coming out of the factory today. She will be in the Caribbean in a couple months.
I did not opted for the solar panels. I will installed them later. But Otherwise she is fully loaded with AC, Gen, high power water maker, Genaker and Asymmetrical Spi ( not Lagoon), forward scan sonar, 57 HP engines, leather, 3 cabin version..etc...
Tzigane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 10:22   #30

Boat: Lagoon 42 ( on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzigane View Post
Congratulations on your Lagoon 42. I have mine just coming out of the factory today. She will be in the Caribbean in a couple months.
I did not opted for the solar panels. I will installed them later. But Otherwise she is fully loaded with AC, Gen, high power water maker, Genaker and Asymmetrical Spi ( not Lagoon), forward scan sonar, 57 HP engines, leather, 3 cabin version..etc...
Congrats Tzigane- you must be very excited. There has not been much discussion yet from actual owners about their experience with a new boat so I hope you will keep us posted on how the delivery and shakedown goes. Did you find a good supplier for the Asymetrical?
Houndfish is offline   Reply With Quote