Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 09:53   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
New L42 owner - thoughts and questions

So, we did it. After visiting all of the boats in our price range at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show, we placed an order for a new Lagoon 42. Delivery expected September/October 2018.

We considered the FP Lucia and Helia, the Leopard 40 and 44, and the Lagoon 450S. After spending time in all models, we decided the Lagoon 42 made the most sense for us.

The Lucia was a very nice boat and great value. It has more storage space than the L42 despite being considerably smaller (4 feet shorter in 4 feet narrower). Yet the interior felt cramped, especially the models with the 4 heads. We also preferred the helm station of the 42 by a mile, so we decided against it.

The Leopard 40 had potential before we went inside but then we rapidly discarded it. The location of the shrouds created a safety hazard. The front door did not seem to have a purpose as there was no real front lounge like in the larger leopards and the interior seem way smaller than the L42.

The Lagoon 45S was a beauty. But surprisingly it did not "feel" substantially larger than the 42. Both are almost the same width, so that may explain it. It did have substantially more storage but it was also $100K more than the L42. So we asked ourselves: could we solve the L42 storage issue for less than $100K? The answer was clear.

The Helia is also a great boat. We have sailed it before and it checks all our boxes. But it is also significantly more expensive than the L42 and not that much bigger.

So the more we went in and out of boats the more we became convienced that the L42 was the perfect balance/compromise for us. So we signed on the dotted line and now we wait.

We have 6 more years of work before we can take off. So we will be placing the boat with Dream Yacht Charters at their Antigua base. We studied all the various options, including waiting 6 years and buying then, etc., but decided to buy now and put it with DYC to reduce our charter cost (we charter often). This will also allow us to get to know the boat well and do many passages during the next few years prior to taking off. So by then we will surely know if this is the one or whether we should consider other options. We selected DYC after running financials for all relevant options. There are obviously some crompromising and some risks but we mitigated these as much as we could.

Questions:
Anyhow, now that we jumped in the Lagoon wagon, is there a Lagoon 42 owner's Facebook group?

For other L42s owners, any options you got but now regret getting? Or alternatively, any options you did not get but now wish you got? We have some flexibility on the options and have a few months to make final decisions given that the buil will likely not start until the late winter spring.

Thank you all!
S/V BlueBuddha
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 14:58   #2

Re: New L42 owner - thoughts and questions

Congratulations! Hope you get to spend many happy days on board.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 15:50   #3

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Congrats. We have Hull #20. In TMM fleet and very satisfied.
Definitely the 57 hp, cockpit fridge, generator/A/C.
TMM was able to add 2nd water tank increasing to roughly 135 gallons. Since looking for cruising later on, may consider water maker now (Although with DYC, water maker may not change the charter stats for your boat).

I was advised against the teak and for charter I think this makes since. Was told by 5 years in charter it would definitely show and if desired, it can be added.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 16:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
Congrats. We have Hull #20. In TMM fleet and very satisfied.
Definitely the 57 hp, cockpit fridge, generator/A/C.
TMM was able to add 2nd water tank increasing to roughly 135 gallons. Since looking for cruising later on, may consider water maker now (Although with DYC, water maker may not change the charter stats for your boat).

I was advised against the teak and for charter I think this makes since. Was told by 5 years in charter it would definitely show and if desired, it can be added.
Thanks! Yes we got the 57HP, fridge and Genset AC. DYC requires the watermaker, so that will also be installed.

I will likely put the extra water tank after it comes out of charter but may do it earlier. Do you know the brand of the new water tank? Was it a production plastic tank or a custom aluminum made to specs?

I heard the same feedback about teak so we decided against it.

We added the code zero bowsprit but not the code zero yet. We will get it once it comes out of charter.

We are considering making some modifications to increase storage:

We will likely get cabinets made for the aft-starboard berth to be installed hanging from under the protrusion of the cockpit seat. However, the plastic of that seat is quite thin so it will likely require some reinforcement.

I can also see that I can get an extra row of small cabinets put under the existing galley cabinets on the port side.

Adding storage in the cockpit will be a challenge. I guess a storage movable bench for the cockpit table would help. I also thought of finding a storage container of the right size to put on the transom. There is no need to increase outside storage while the boat is on charter but we want to start thinking about long-term solutions.

Thanks! Nestor.
Old 10-10-2017, 17:35   #5

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

I forgot Solar panels (probably when coming out of charter. When my boat came out of charter, they did not offer a cabinet for microwave. Fortunately my future guest is a master cabinet maker and we plan to install microwave cabinet with some storage.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 18:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
I forgot Solar panels (probably when coming out of charter. When my boat came out of charter, they did not offer a cabinet for microwave. Fortunately my future guest is a master cabinet maker and we plan to install microwave cabinet with some storage.

We got the factory installed 3 x 120wts flexible panels. I probably could have done better in the aftermarket but they came with the required DYC specs. They came at around €4K
Old 10-10-2017, 19:55   #7

Boat: Looking

I was shopping for the same boats you listed. Saw them all in Cannes.. was very surprised at how big the L42 was, especially compared to the Lucia 40, which is top on our list. I am curious, what part of the Lucia did you feel was cramped? I dont think it could be the salon/galley or the cockpit.. If anything the salon of the L42 was (read: "appeared") more cramped due to the large pole in the center. However the Lagoon salon was clearly wider. I did find it a little tight in the hulls of the Lucia, but the Island berths in the stern were actually pretty spacious. The forward berth was small definitely. The only real issue I found with Lucia 40 was interior height in the cabins (I am 6'4) as my head just hits the lights along the center, and the low overall length at waterline. The L42 is hot on the list, but the Lucia seemed fairly spacious, and less $$, and greater SA/D ratio. Its a really tough call.. in either case, congrats!
Brav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 20:23   #8

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
... the Island berths in the stern were actually pretty spacious ...
Previously I was dead set on a boat with island berths. That likely came from shopping for monohulls with aft masters, where the island berth actually has merit.

What I discovered on most of the boats at Annapolis a week ago was that the island berths didn't actually have enough space along the side to get access up the side of the bed. It "looks good", but I'm not sure it's actually functional, and more than likely would end up diving into bed from the foot, just like a full width berth, without the benefit of having a comfortable sea berth.

The little gap between the wall and mattress is too small to walk in, and just big enough to loose stuff down, and flop uncomfortably out of bed into.

It ended up being not a big enough issue one way or the other for my wife and I. We no longer value island berths because we can't afford a catamaran big enough that the space to the side of the mattress is big enough to be useful
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 03:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav View Post
I am curious, what part of the Lucia did you feel was cramped?
The forward berth and heads were the main issue for us. We have a large family (no kids though) that we want to invite to join us often. The forward berth seemed appropriate for kids but not for a full grown couple to stay for more than a couple of days.

Having a separate shower was one key item on my wife's "must have" list (everyone has their priorities). The two head version was not an option given DYC specs and the 4 head version did not have separate showers like the L42 does in the aft heads.

Finally, I have sailed FPs often and I get, admittedly irrationally, annoyed at the location and angle of the helm instruments. Nothing is where I want them to be and I have to lean back or crouch down to see the plotter, etc. The L42 has the instruments positioned much higher and angled perfectly to my line of sight. I know this is silly but, hey, there is nothing rational about buying a boat

The Lucia has great sailing specs though and I liked its galley better than the L42, but the pros list for the L42 justified the extra $.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
The little gap between the wall and mattress is too small to walk in, and just big enough to loose stuff down, and flop uncomfortably out of bed into.
Yes, understand this, coming from the Airstream world of camping. We have an island bed (at a 90) and one side its easy to get out of bed, the other you have to duck and roll slightly, or scoot.

The Lucia 40 would probably at best provide an exit at a 45 deg angle, vs 90. but better than scooting straight. Maybe not.. but point well taken. Its not life-changing, unless you can actually easily walk around it. L42 had a little more room, but not enough to sway due to that reason.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
The forward berth and heads were the main issue for us. We have a large family (no kids though) that we want to invite to join us often. The forward berth seemed appropriate for kids but not for a full grown couple to stay for more than a couple of days.

Having a separate shower was one key item on my wife's "must have" list (everyone has their priorities). The two head version was not an option given DYC specs and the 4 head version did not have separate showers like the L42 does in the aft heads.

Finally, I have sailed FPs often and I get, admittedly irrationally, annoyed at the location and angle of the helm instruments. Nothing is where I want them to be and I have to lean back or crouch down to see the plotter, etc. The L42 has the instruments positioned much higher and angled perfectly to my line of sight. I know this is silly but, hey, there is nothing rational about buying a boat

The Lucia has great sailing specs though and I liked its galley better than the L42, but the pros list for the L42 justified the extra $.
Thanks for your feedback. I agree on those sentiments - the forward berth is for a single adult or kids, really. We are new to sailing and without kids, and maybe under-estimate how many crew we will be having on board! We assumed another couple and maybe their kid(s). We definitely would only go with the 2-head option to get the separate shower, not the 3 head in which was also a deal breaker for us. So given your constraints, L42 definitely makes more sense.

Interesting about the instrument placement. As a notice, hadn't considered it.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:24   #12

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
I've been watching "Follow the boat" YouTube channel for some time now and one of their words of advice is that you're not buying the boat for your guests, you're buying it for you. And the hard truth is, you'll have guests far less frequently than you expect, and for much briefer periods of time.

Quote:
It's unfortunate that you're having to meet the DYC spec, as I agree the two head arrangement is superior.

Quote:
That's not silly! It makes absolute sense - and I agree!

Quote:
I actually like the L42 galley better. The U shape seems superior than an L shape galley. Also, I have a perhaps irrational fear of chopping vegetables and accidentally stepping off into the stairwell on the Lucia, and other such boats that have open counter next to the stairwell. The boats that have a better barricade for protecting occupants from the stair landing seems much safer to me. Yes catamarans are more stable in all conditions than monohulls, but they still pitch and roll even at anchor. I don't want myself or one of my guests to accidentally fall down that hole.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:37   #13

Boat: None, Currently (though looking)

Good for you! I probably passed you in Annapolis last week when I was there. I'm not a boat owner, but have been sailing, chartering, delivering yachts, and offshore racing for 30 years. I make the show rounds and probably know many of the same folks as you...

I think that the Lagoon 42 is a great charter cat and hopefully it will fit you well following its charter life. While its almost irrelevant where you park your boat in a multi-unit charter operation, I certainly think Antigua is a great location, in general.

I have to offer some comments on Dream Yachts and their Antigua base. I chartered a DYC Lagoon 400 this year out of Tortola for 2 months in a unique partnership with the owner of that boat. Having years of experience chartering through multiple firms, I have very relevant experience. (While not an Owner, I am very well versed in charter economics so I have a good grasp of things from an Owner's perspective and have spent untold hours talking to past, present, and future boat owners - particularly charter boat owners.) Clearly you too have significant chartering experience so my comments here may be irrelevant to you.

Unfortunately, from my perspective DYC is an absolutely horrendous company in general as a charter manager. Truthfully, you'd never find me working with them having seen them in action (and I mean pretty deep in action as I have spent multiple days at various DYC bases - not just a simple check-in/out).

However, I must tell you that Thierry and his wife (Antigua base manager) were fantastic! Our 2 month cruise took us from Tortola to Guadeloupe and back where we stopped at DYC bases in Tortola (home base), and also in St Martin and Antigua. (We went to Guadeloupe - which we loved - but didn't visit the DYC base there.) We stopped at the Antigua base just out of convenience and easy access to the island and to get some basic things completed at the dock (which I was fully prepared - and expecting - to do on my own.) Thierry stayed a bit late on a Sunday simply to help us following our arrival from Guadeloupe, and then he and his wife (and their great support team) provided some very helpful assistance to us while we visited English Harbour for a couple of days - in some cases going beyond what should have been expected. So, hopefully he and that base team will still be around when your boat arrives - you'll be fortunate if so! (Actually, I'd consider chartering through the Antigua base again if they were there - without them, there's no chance I'd consider that. And, there's ZERO chance I'd ever do a "typical" charter again out of DYC Tortola or DYC St Martin.)

So, the point of my message here is (1) congrats on your purchase, (2) do your homework and stay on top of DYC in general from now through the end of your charter life, and (3) good choice on Antigua as its a great location in general and the only DYC base manager in that area that's worthy.

If you have any other questions for me, please PM me! Enjoy the ride!

Best,

Kevin
Breck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:29   #14

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42 Catamaran

Congratulations! In terms of the lagoon 42, IMHO, you have chosen wisely.
Water Dragon 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:31   #15

Congratulations and wish you luck
Aliciano is offline   Reply With Quote