Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2017, 18:21   #46

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42
Re: New L42 owner - thoughts and questions

Jim,
In discussing water makers with Just Catamarans and several water maker distributors, they felt no issues with catamaran engine compartments due to better ventilation and distance from engine (as opposed to cramp engine compartment of monohull where separation form hot engine parts may be only a couple inches).

I am looking at options as well.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 14:50   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
Congrats. We have Hull #20. In TMM fleet and very satisfied.
Definitely the 57 hp, cockpit fridge, generator/A/C.
TMM was able to add 2nd water tank increasing to roughly 135 gallons. Since looking for cruising later on, may consider water maker now (Although with DYC, water maker may not change the charter stats for your boat).

I was advised against the teak and for charter I think this makes since. Was told by 5 years in charter it would definitely show and if desired, it can be added.
I have L42. Can u provide more details on where 2nd water tank was installed, size etc?
SFlagoonowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 14:54   #48

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFlagoonowner View Post
I have L42. Can u provide more details on where 2nd water tank was installed, size etc?
The 2nd water tank was placed in same locker as the factory tank. Mad of Aluminum. Takes up some of the anchor chain space.

May be able to get some photos later this week.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 15:09   #49

Pictures would be much appreciated. Was the tank custom fabricated?
SFlagoonowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 21:30   #50

Boat: 450S

Assisted a new 42 owner collect his boat last week, it's fitted with the second water tank. We could not get water into it, are the tanks meant to be connected and filled from the single refill point? He has the water maker option, does that fill the second tank? Thanks in advance.
Pascals Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 08:09   #51
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascals Wager View Post
Assisted a new 42 owner collect his boat last week, it's fitted with the second water tank. We could not get water into it, are the tanks meant to be connected and filled from the single refill point? He has the water maker option, does that fill the second tank? Thanks in advance.
Page 141 of user guide. Not clear whether there is one 3 way valve for both tanks as seems to be on the diagram, or if each tank as it own valve as described a bit later in taht document.

two questions after reading this guide:
- Am i reading correctly that the washing machine as inputs for cold & hot water ? Or is there a thermostatic valve before the machine ? What brand & model is that machine ?
- Diesel tank: "The tanks' nominal capacity cannot be fully used due to the load and the need to maintain the correct trim." WTF does that mean ??
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 08:27   #52

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
We got the factory installed 3 x 120wts flexible panels. I probably could have done better in the aftermarket but they came with the required DYC specs. They came at around €4K
You could definitely do better and might consider bailing if it’s not a done deal yet. Doing my own installation and for half the money, I installed more than 3 times the wattage you’re going to get, albeit using rigid panels.

I feel the bare minimum is 600 W for a cruising couple and once you have more than 1 kiloWatt you no longer need a generator except for airconditioning. You can run your microwave, coffee machine, washer dryer, and even heat water for a shower, all from 1kW solar and an about 600 Ah battery pack.

And as said above, you can install 1kW of solar yourself for under € 2k. Dunno if the charter company would let you.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 08:54   #53

Boat: Lagoon 46

Could you show me where and how you installed your solar panels?. Which ones?.. I am looking on installing them too. I did not get the option.
Thanks a lot!
Tzigane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 11:18   #54

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzigane View Post
Could you show me where and how you installed your solar panels?. Which ones?.. I am looking on installing them too. I did not get the option.
Thanks a lot!
I did it in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. I got four rigid (aluminum framed) 310 W solar panels measuring 1.95 by 0.98 meters each if I remember correctly and weighing 23 kg a pop, which makes for nearly 100 kg total with the mounting hardware.

I’m on a monohull so I put them where I had my bimini. I presume you’re on a cat so my installation isn’t that relevant to you, but basically you’d need about 8 square meters and a way to run the wires to your battery bank, near to which you’d install the charge controllers.

I would do better if you asked me specific questions. Ultimately it’s all rather straightforward assumin some very basic electricity knowledge.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 11:48   #55

Boat: Lagoon 46

Thank you for getting back to me. I was actually assuming you were on a Lagoon 42 and was curious where you installed them. And how it looked.
Thank you
Tzigane is offline   Reply With Quote