Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-10-2017, 17:22   #16

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: New L40 Pictures

Very nice vessel. One of my pet peeves about many sailboats is their lack of sun protection for the helmsman. Not liking to bake in the hot sun, it's incredible to me how many really expensive yachts have the helmsman sitting directly out in it. Was the helm bimini shown here an after-market addition? It looks designed for wind more than sun. I prefer a hard top over the helm with a plexiglass window for viewing the mainsail, but I'm sure a really fine bimini could be sewn for the helm seat of the L40. It really looks like a solid platform.

danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 17:36   #17

Boat: I want Lagoon 400

I guess the L40 is now been in at least one or two shows has anybody taking it out for a test sail yet?

If so any comments

mjuneau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 20:05   #18

Boat: lagoon 380 s2

they have made ONE 40. The idea was to show it in Europe 3 weeks ago at the show, and then sail it quite a bit more. Then make potential alterations. This is different than what they have done before. After the feedback, they will make boat 2. I am not sure if they are letting anyone but themselves (and their dealers) sail it yet. I will see my dealer this weekend, and see what the update for the Annapolis show meetings were. I am hoping they get rid of another 1k lbs (tons would be nice, but i think that is too much of a stretch), and maybe add another 50 sq ft of sail.

I am not sure what is between Cannes and Miami for shows, which is the introduction of it in North America.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 08:19   #19

We just came back from Dusseldorf. They display the L40 on the Boot 2018.

A really nice looking boat.

What i liked most:

- lots of headroom everywhere. I am 1,85m and i never bumped my head. The nearby competitors Lucia 40, Bali 4.0 and Open 40 did have significantly less, especially on the walkthroughs from a berth to the galley.
- The dark wood interior does look stunning IMO. Good quality fit and finish of all surfaces.
- Very nice, open and wide owners hull.
- Spacious shower and bathroom.
- Good visibility from the Helm. Softtop was ok. Not a favorite of mine however. I like more the hardtop designs. Dont know if they offer one in the future
- Open living space in the Saloon and Cockpit. Nice upper countertops.

The L40 is now definitally on the list of boats i am considering purchasing, once i am ready to go...
Sailing. Freediving. SCUBA Diving. Underwater- Wildlife- and Landscape Photography.
Piscis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 12:21   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
:nonono: New L40 Pictures

Was in DŁsseldorf too. Visited the Lagoon 40.

I was really disappointed.

We fortunately have a 400S2, ways better than the new 40. The 40 seems to have a narrower bow, the front berth is really much smaller. The aft cabins are nice, but they have sacrificed a lot of outside storage compartments in the cockpit, also no place for the outdoor fridge or ice maker. The storage shelf above the engines has gone too. A new propane locker for a single bottle instead. They adopted the design and size of the Lucia40 from the competition. Winches are smaller too than the winches of the 400, and there are only two instead of three at the helm.

One standard size closet / drawers were removed from the galley, so much less storage and a smaller seating area inside, it seems also that the salon length was sacrificed too to a slightly larger cockpit. The whole saloon is also much smaller at the beam than the 400/400S2. Also the oven was put down, so even less storage in the galley. She feels like a 38ft cat, she is not a worthy successor for a L400 at all, she is almost 2 ft smaller at beam (BEAM -50cm) and 1 ft shorter (LOA -20cm) you notice this everywhere in the boat. Also this square pole in the entrance is as annoying as in the L39. I guess they renamed the unsuccessful L39 to L40. And of course the forward lockers in the nacelle are smaller too.

The main battery switches has been moved out of the cabins to the engine compartments, the storage drawers under the beds are gone too.

So love my Lagoon 400 even more now.

I heard some rumors, that FP is planning to close the gap between the Lucia40 and the Helia44 on the Multihull show in La Grande Motte. with a brand new FP42, same bridge as the Helia, more space (comparable to a Lagoon 400) and an optional dinghi lift / swimming platform similar to the Saona47. The downside will be the price probably - it is considered to be in the range of the Helia.

Price wise The L40 is almost the same as the 400S2, but you get a lot smaller boat for the money.

Beam L400 7.25m - L40 6.76m
LOA: L400 11.97m - L40 11.74m (39ft 3" vs. 38ft 6")

So it's a 38 ft 6" boat and not a 40 footer.
CatNewBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 12:51   #21

Boat: Lagoon 400 & Nacra 6.0 beach cat

I wonder what is the marketing idea behind the name of the model? 40 what? The actual length of the boat is 11.74m = 38.5 feet.
Mark, S/Y Bat-Yam
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 15:29   #22

Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I wonder what is the marketing idea behind the name of the model? 40 what? The actual length of the boat is 11.74m = 38.5 feet.
Lagoon has fallen into step with its major competitors, as far as it,s model designation numbers. I do not see this as a good thing, but you have to imagine that the worlds largest manufacturer of catamarans marketing department has some sort of clue as to what they are doing.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 16:07   #23

Cash on name instead of charging for boat lenght/size! 😈

Valiente is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: