Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2016, 07:28   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 F
Navigating Lagoons price list - B&G Gear

So, Lagoon seems to have switched to B&G Gear.

Couple of questions:

- Does anyone have any thoughts on it ?

- Anyone used the new Zeus 12" displays. They any good ?
I had planned to stick with laptops and OpenCPN. But they seem to look very nice.

- Same question, the 4G radar. (Note: I WILL fit radar. Just havn't dug into which one as yet)

And lastly. Ordering. Would you, if ordering a new boat,

A: Get the full Suite of B&G Stuff done by Lagoon
B: Run away screaming from this, and use something else.
C: Use it, but do it after market / yourself / with a dealer.
D: Something else ?

All comments greatly appreciated.

Regards
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 00:50   #2

Boat: Lagoon 450 Sportop
Re: Navigating Lagoons price list - B&G Gear

We have the B&G on our 2015 L400S2 and are very satisfied. It works great and after initial problems that resulted in a new Zeus 12" on warranty, there has been no glitches.

Being an Electronics Engineer, I would prefer taking the whole package from Lagoon. It is easier to negotiate with the company that delivers the whole package than discussing whose fault it is that a component isn't working. There are many stories floating around this forum where buyers complain about less scrupulous vendors doing installs of electronics, water makers etc and they have usually regretted not purchasing it all as part of the boat purchase.

It used to be that prices varied wildly depending on where in the world you purchased your gear. In 2006, when we bought our previous boat, RayMarine gear cost half in the US than in Europe (Sweden). Nowadays, I'm not sure. The onslaught of iPads, Open CPN and Amazon eMarkets, have put tremendous pressure on pricing.

A long time ago, I used my laptop with GPS as my primary nav tool but the quality of the screen on the Zeus is so much better that I would never go back. I have backup with Navionics on iPad and Surface but their screens can't handle the sunlight like the Zeus.

Hope that this gives you something to go on when considering your new boat. In the several hundred thousand Euros that a new Lagoon costs, the Nav gear is not the place to be stingy.

Regards,
Anders
afriis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 05:15   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42

Catapault:

My wife and I are also on the verge of ordering a new Lagoon 42. You have posed many of the same questions we have. I sent you a PM earlier. Hope we can touch base directly at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-05-2016, 14:50   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by afriis View Post
We have the B&G on our 2015 L400S2 and are very satisfied. It works great and after initial problems that resulted in a new Zeus 12" on warranty, there has been no glitches.

Being an Electronics Engineer, I would prefer taking the whole package from Lagoon. It is easier to negotiate with the company that delivers the whole package than discussing whose fault it is that a component isn't working. There are many stories floating around this forum where buyers complain about less scrupulous vendors doing installs of electronics, water makers etc and they have usually regretted not purchasing it all as part of the boat purchase.

It used to be that prices varied wildly depending on where in the world you purchased your gear. In 2006, when we bought our previous boat, RayMarine gear cost half in the US than in Europe (Sweden). Nowadays, I'm not sure. The onslaught of iPads, Open CPN and Amazon eMarkets, have put tremendous pressure on pricing.

A long time ago, I used my laptop with GPS as my primary nav tool but the quality of the screen on the Zeus is so much better that I would never go back. I have backup with Navionics on iPad and Surface but their screens can't handle the sunlight like the Zeus.

Hope that this gives you something to go on when considering your new boat. In the several hundred thousand Euros that a new Lagoon costs, the Nav gear is not the place to be stingy.

Regards,
Anders
Thanks Anders.

One key point about doing it later, was actually just who installs them.

If Lagoon does it, then I'm fine. If its done by an after market installer (which I was told it is) during commissioning, then I'm less fine and more inclined to do it later. Heard some horror stories about that.

Do you have the B&G Radar 4G Radar ? Decent ?

Note: I'm also an electronics tech. 20 yrs ago I used to maintain radar/sonar (military kind) for a living. Things have moved on a tad since then. I need to read up on the latest radar's.

Regards
Old 30-05-2016, 18:56   #5

Boat: Lagoon 42'

Hi Catapault

Jest sent you a PM with details of some of the options we chose on our new 42.

Good luck.

Cheers
Matagorda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 19:44   #6

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I have a b&g zeus2 with the 4g radar. Happy with them both. Garmin man for many years before this but b&g is very intuitive. The stuff you can see with this radar - very detailed.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 06:38   #7

Boat: Hanse 348

New 380 with all b&g gear. Find the 12" screen at the nav station great, wish that size was outside as well, smaller screen is too small. You can use computer tablet inside, but not easily outside Imho

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:09   #8

Thanks guys !.

Will go with the Full B&G setup I think, and worry about a different Radar if I run into problems in the future..

Will be wierd using a radar that puts out less than 50kw....

Regards
Old 08-06-2016, 08:29   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I would prefer the factory instal, but if you are already in Europe I would seriously explore having a NKE system installed instead. They are much better, particularly the autopilot, but with minimal service on this side of the pond.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:57   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Catapault,
Sorry you are having such frustrations, but I have some info for you here that might help....

In addition to your query here about Electronics, below you'll find some recent threads about Lagoon Price lists and options....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
So, the sleigh ride to boat ownership continues.

After researching buying an ex charter and doing various renovations (as per other posts), we've huffed and puffed our way to a decision. That being, all starts aligning, we've ended up in the strange place of being about to order a NEW Lagoon 42.

However, the hurdle to overcome prior, is Lagoon's Price list !!. So looking for a hand with anyone that has done it to decipher it for sure.
Please have a look at some recent threads here, dealing with Lagoon Price Lists, and equipping/commissioning ideas and recommendations....
You will learn a lot...
(and I hope you get this info before you sign the contract!)

This one started with specifics on Lagoon 450:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1883554

This one started with specifics on Lagoon 40:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1906780

And, this one on the Lagoon 450, and specifically electronics:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2049368

Sorry, I don't own a Lagoon, nor any catamaran....but...
But, I do hope this helps...

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, lagoon, price