Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2017, 22:28   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge
My solar solution

Photos attached

The solution consists of:
Victron BlueSolar MPPT 100/50 each with Bluetooth dongle (purchased in Australia)
• Four Panasonic HIT (Heterojunction with Intrinsic Thin layer) panels - each 325w (2 per controller) - purchased in Turkey, shipped to Antalya
Stainless steel fabrication as per photos – contract with Taurus Marine in Antalya

Costs in Euro
Panels 1652
Regulators 518
Delivery 85
Stainless&install 1945
Bluetooth dongles 142

TOTAL COST 4342 Euro

1300 watts which seems to be adequate for our requirements – main usage 2 fridges, a freezer, 2000 watt inverter and Aquabase watermaker (105l/h at 35 amps)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	428.0 KB
ID:	148602   Click image for larger version

Name:	51.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	148603  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	148604   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	148605  

anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 23:24   #2

Re: My solar solution

Looks like a nice and neat instalation.

It will not take long, you do realize power is just like money and wine the more you have, the more you use.

Then you want more and more.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 02:22   #3
cruiser

Nice installation!

Looks to be able to take care of day to day needs, if more ins needed, a genset will put the power back in the batteries quicker than adding more solar.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 04:46   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440

That will be plenty,we run 3x 327 watt sunpower on our cat and provides plenty, need more battery storage now
harvey hellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 06:37   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
.... a genset will put the power back in the batteries quicker than adding more solar.
Agree - in any case, the genset needs to be run regularly to operate the washing machine and dishwasher
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 11:33   #6

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Very nice setup !.

Given enough Solar, and a 5kw inverter, can actually run those from the batteries / solar system.

I'm serously considering a Victron Quattro 5kw when I upgrade my batteres to Lithium sometime this year.

Right now my solar plans are to go with 6 of the new Sunpower X22 360w pannels, accross the back in a 3 x 2 configuration (pretty much similar to Emerald Sea). A fellow cruiser kindly put me onto a supplier in Italy to get the panels. Now just designing the frame with the yard.

Havn't decided on MPPT controller yet, Outboack Victron or Mastervolt seem to be the go..

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 11:39   #7
cruiser

Mark,

I might be very mistaken, but it was explained to me that solar and lithium batteries aren't compatible due to the way the lithium batteries like to be charged up. They prefer lots of amps quick.

Lead acid batteries on the other hand prefer the slow trickle charge provided by solar.

Several lithium/solar retailers told me if I went with lithium, forget solar because with a genset, it would be a waste of money. The genset can pump in more ah in less than an hour than solar can do in a day.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 12:20   #8

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Mark,

I might be very mistaken, but it was explained to me that solar and lithium batteries aren't compatible due to the way the lithium batteries like to be charged up. They prefer lots of amps quick.

Lead acid batteries on the other hand prefer the slow trickle charge provided by solar.

Several lithium/solar retailers told me if I went with lithium, forget solar because with a genset, it would be a waste of money. The genset can pump in more ah in less than an hour than solar can do in a day.

They're not incompatible, but with a massive charger you can load the batteries without the acceptance rate dropping. This alone makes charging to 100% with a generator a viable thing.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 12:26   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe you can slam amps into Life-Po but they do not have to be charged that way, unlike AGM's that seem to live longer if charged fast, and even regular flooded batteries seem to do better if hit with a lot of amps as it has a tendency to get the electrolyte moving and keeps it mixed up.
Charge stratification may be more of an issue with bigger batteries like forklifts than the normal GC ones we usually use though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 14:24   #10

Quote "I might be very mistaken, but it was explained to me that solar and lithium batteries aren't compatible due to the way the lithium batteries like to be charged up. They prefer lots of amps quick."

The solar set up that Anthony is doing is more than capable of supplying 120 amps Plus. That is what I see from mine and he is going even bigger again.

Catapault: Steve 450 has The big Victron Quatro along with Victron MPPT solar controllers and Victron Battery monitor all connected to their Colour display. This gives you all the info you need in a graphical easy to read display. Shows power in to batteries , output from solar, output from inverter, power from generator all in one display. It is excellent.

I have Victron inverter, Mastervolt battery monitor and Outback solar controllers all works well but you need to look at each device to get the overall picture of what your power is doing. Set up, monitoring and changing settings is way easier with the fully integrated approach.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar