Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2016, 05:18   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
My new Bimini and clears

Hello fellow Lagooner's, thought I'd share a couple of pictures of my new bimini with you, the old one's are quite serviceable however I thought they were looking a bit tired, fair enough after five 5.5 years so I had a local outfit make me a new one in navy blue.
The lower clears are brand new Lagoon ones that due to a mix up
when I ordered it new I sort of acquired, (long story) they were supposed to be white but are a light cream color which goes with the navy, but don't really go with the white fibreglass, we are coming into winter now so I will refit the original lower clears till next summer. Note I had fitted a zip open window in the windscreen which I really like. The result has really freshened up the look of my L400. Interested in your opinion good or bad re the colors that is.
Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimini.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	122181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimini2.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	122182  

peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 18:50   #2

Re: My new Bimini and clears

Looks good Peter. Colours look fine to me. Except for U zip, yours is same pattern as OEM.

Did you use a superior materials for the clears? eg. "Strataglass"

We didn't think that we would use the cockpit enclosures as much as we do, given that most of our cruising is in warmer waters. They are excellent living space protection in windy and rainy weather as well as cold. We have turned our cockpit into a laundry drying room at anchor using these enclosures as well. They are easily rolled or removed if not required.

Our Bimini is also looking a bit tired, but still serviceable. Was thinking of a lightweight hardtop instead of canvas. Strata glass sides with large U zip sections like yours on all 4 sides. Also, cutting and rewelding legs to lower Bimini roof. I think it doesn't need to be that high unless helmsman is over 7 foot tall. Thoughts?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:54   #3

Boat: LAGOON 400

bimini looks great. I am jealous.

I do not have one.

Worried about drilling holes to add one.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Looks good Peter. Colours look fine to me. Except for U zip, yours is same pattern as OEM.

Did you use a superior materials for the clears? eg. "Strataglass"

We didn't think that we would use the cockpit enclosures as much as we do, given that most of our cruising is in warmer waters. They are excellent living space protection in windy and rainy weather as well as cold. We have turned our cockpit into a laundry drying room at anchor using these enclosures as well. They are easily rolled or removed if not required.

Our Bimini is also looking a bit tired, but still serviceable. Was thinking of a lightweight hardtop instead of canvas. Strata glass sides with large U zip sections like yours on all 4 sides. Also, cutting and rewelding legs to lower Bimini roof. I think it doesn't need to be that high unless helmsman is over 7 foot tall. Thoughts?
Hello Tuskie, no did not use ‘Strataglass’ I left it to the shop to use what they have found best as they do a lot in our area, they used a 1mm clear, a bit thicker than the original, rolls up fine and looks good only time will tell if it is the goods. The fabric is ‘Sunbrella’ the same as the original I think but seems to have more substance. The U zip window in the screen I really like, makes it easy to have a clear view, good for photography. I had the screen fit tighter so there is a gap between the centre post and the screen, on the old one the screen rubbed against the post and left an ugly mark. A lightweight hard top would be very desirable couldn’t agree more, one of the good points on the Leopard, I think lagoon is playing catch up on that one with the new L420S / 450S, there is a company in the USA making after market hardtops Dedicated Marine LAGOON - Dedicated Marine Bimini Hardtop but last time I looked I don’t think they had one for the L400. The height of the bimini does seem high maybe Lagoon cater for the tallest possible owner, Tuskie I’m not sure it would be a good idea to lower the bimini, big job plus when it’s time to sell you may have a seven foot potential buyer turn up!! Regards Peter
Old 08-04-2016, 03:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
bimini looks great. I am jealous.

I do not have one.

Worried about drilling holes to add one.
Hello arsenelupiga, I assume you don't have the Lagoon bimini frame, never seen photo's of a L400 without one I imagine you could buy one as a spare part from Lagoon then the bimini could be made locally, as far as drilling I don't think that would too hard in experienced hands.

Tags
bimini