Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 13:36   #31

Re: Mounting solar panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
See that shade of the boom right over them? Kills your power!
We put the panels on individual separate circuits so shading only effects the output of that panel. Power isn't killed.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 20:59   #32

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Mine are separate as well.
If my solar panels are getting killed then why are my batteries always full?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1458964776.699016.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	121427

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 03:05   #33

Boat: Hanse 348

Did you make the mounts from stainless or aluminum? I am having trouble finding someone who can do stainless. But I am going to attach them to my davits which are stainless. Will this be an issue with electrolysis is I use aluminum?

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 08:19   #34

As far as I know stainless and aluminum can mix.
I hope that is true because my mounts to the boat are stainless and the 3"X1.5" beams that the panels rest on is aluminum.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1459005570.394462.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	121440

Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2016, 20:43   #35

USe Tefgel or similar on the joins/bolts between stainless and alloy.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 21:55   #36
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
Mine are separate as well.
If my solar panels are getting killed then why are my batteries always full?
Attachment 121427

Power gets killed, not your shiny new panels If you don't have the problem, then you don't have the shading

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:42   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Better late then never, so here's how I installed my solar panels. The plan was to keep everything simple with a minimum of welding. As you can see, it would be easy to modify this design if you wanted to be able to tilt the panels. I used two Victron MPPT 75/15 controllers and a Watt Wizard to monitor the output. Total investment was only $1200 bucks. The tubing and aluminum flat bar was sourced at Access Metals. The fittings were sourced at Marine Part Depot. The small braces I found at Bacon Sails, a consignment shop in Annapolis. Hope this helps...

These are the brackets that mount to the davits. Using this design will also allow you to tilt the panels if you wish.

The rear mount consists of aluminum tubing and aluminum flat bar. This is the only welding I needed. Shop around the welding. One place quoted me $400 bucks! I ended up paying $70.

A close up of the rear mount attachment.

These hinged tee's saved a ton of work and worked great.

Here you can see the new cross piece, the new upright support and the small angle brace for the new upright. The bend in the cross brace was done using a propane torch heating the tubing to a cherry red. I didn't think the propane would get it hot enough, but it did. This saved a lot of money from having it bent at a shop. It's this area that you could modify to allow tilting panels.

Here are all the panel mounts in place.

This is the piece that connects the panels to the front mounts.

A close up of the that piece.

Ready for the panels to be mounted.

Looking underneath at the panel mounts.

The panels all mounted and ready to produce!
Old 06-04-2016, 20:50   #38

6 x Sunpower E21 345 watt panels mounted 3 x 2 on rear of Lagoon 450 "Clear Horizons."

Side view during installation.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 11:52   #39

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
I just ordered 5 - 265 watt panels for my L400
I will be duplicating Rotter's set up.
They measure 72" x 40" and will be supported just behind my traveller and out over my dingy.
Great shade and rain protection as well.
1325 watts will get the job done

Looks like a great setup, Which model Panels are you using please Scottster ?
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 12:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
6 x Sunpower E21 345 watt panels mounted 3 x 2 on rear of Lagoon 450 "Clear Horizons."
Paulin,

How do you find the robustness / suitability of the E21 pannels now that you've mounted them ?
Any concerns them holding up to the rigours of offshore work / ocean crossing ?

A quick google of those panels, has that setup at approx 4.67m long, and 2.1m wide. Sound about right ?

I like the setup, and looking to see if the same would fit on the back of an Lagoon 400. (Which I think it will)

Would you mind sharing specs of the frame you hung it all on ?

Thanks and Regards

Mark.
Old 17-04-2016, 13:57   #41

"How do you find the robustness / suitability of the E21 pannels now that you've mounted them ?
Any concerns them holding up to the rigours of offshore work / ocean crossing ?"

Have had the 6 x 1 setup pictured bellow on board for 22 months now, highest wind they have been through that was recorded was 58 knots, zero issues so far.

The 3 x 2 set up I posted before is on a a mates boat Clear Horizons owned by Steve and Audra Plumb, they have only just had fitted. The panels once bolted to each other through the frames side wall have a lot of strength in their own right, so do not over engineer the frame with to much weight. My main support beams are 50 x 50 x 6 mm Aluminum angel (was easiest to source where I was).

If I ever do mine again I would go for the 3 x 2 set up just to keep the setup a bit narrower. I have some upright supports from The side rails each side but these would not be required with the 3 x 2 configuration.

Old 17-04-2016, 17:52   #42

Quote:
"How do you find the robustness / suitability of the E21 pannels now that you've mounted them ?
Any concerns them holding up to the rigours of offshore work / ocean crossing ?"

Have had the 6 x 1 setup pictured bellow on board for 22 months now, highest wind they have been through that was recorded was 58 knots, zero issues so far.

The 3 x 2 set up I posted before is on a a mates boat Clear Horizons owned by Steve and Audra Plumb, they have only just had fitted. The panels once bolted to each other through the frames side wall have a lot of strength in their own right, so do not over engineer the frame with to much weight. My main support beams are 50 x 50 x 6 mm Aluminum angel (was easiest to source where I was).

If I ever do mine again I would go for the 3 x 2 set up just to keep the setup a bit narrower. I have some upright supports from The side rails each side but these would not be required with the 3 x 2 configuration.

Thanks.

Do yu happen to have any photo's of the underside supports ?

Also, Is there a good source of the E21 pannels ? I can't find anyone who sells them. Seems all the SUnpower stuff wants to be sold as a complete kit to go on a house.

They look like excellent pannels. Good size for 3 x2 vs the more bulky kyocera ones. Prettysure I can fit 3x2 with those pannels, on the back of the 400 without going over the ends of the hardtop. (or if I do, only by a bit). Where as the Kyocera panels are a chunk larger.

Right now I'm thinking of a frame across the whole back, all the way to the side rails such that can also mount a windo Gen off it on each side as well, and a small davit to lift the Dinghy motor ou to a bracket when underway.

Still need to think some more about that.

We don't get the L400 until October, so can't go and actually look yet !
Old 17-04-2016, 18:09   #43

"I can't find anyone who sells them."

To help you there, would require knowing where you are looking in this rather large world.

If in Australia talk to Don Church at Floating Impressions he is the best source down here I have found and a nice bloke to boot I have no connection to him or his company, elsewhere put up your location and I am positive some one will have a source for you.

The under-side supports all seem to start with some stainless or Aluminum, welded or bolted to the top of the rear hard top support posts.

Then some uprights from the rear deck or bolted on to the rear handrails across the back.

With 2 kW of solar giving you up to 130 amps do you rely need wind gens adding another possible 20 or 30 amps plus the noise when the wind blows.

Old 19-04-2016, 09:17   #44

Quote:
"I can't find anyone who sells them."

To help you there, would require knowing where you are looking in this rather large world.
<--- Idiot ! Yes, that would be useful info lol.

I'm actually Australian, but boat will be in Carribean when purchased later this year (Almost certainly) Whilst it will be heading to Aus, I'd like to get the Solar done either in the Carribean or in the USA.

Either way I'll talk to Don, thanks for the Tip !.

If in Australia talk to Don Church at Floating Impressions he is the best source down here I have found and a nice bloke to boot I have no connection to him or his company, elsewhere put up your location and I am positive some one will have a source for you.

The under-side supports all seem to start with some stainless or Aluminum, welded or bolted to the top of the rear hard top support posts.

Then some uprights from the rear deck or bolted on to the rear handrails across the back.

With 2 kW of solar giving you up to 130 amps do you rely need wind gens adding another possible 20 or 30 amps plus the noise when the wind blows.[/QUOTE]

Probably not, but I'm at least designing for it. May never Fit. The boat will be going eventually to lattitudes of less Sun, so given i'm trying to avoid a Genset at all, and go all renewable, I'm considering the options for Solar + Wind or Wave as a Backup.

Thanks for the Info.

Regards
Old 21-04-2016, 00:15   #45

Here are my underside supportsClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1461222938.822867.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	122932