Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2017, 13:29   #1

Boat: Broadblue 38
Mast modification

Hello

I'm in the process of buying a L380 from 2004. The boat has a few things I'd like to change and one of the biggest is the mast. It's currently got an inmast furling mainsail which does not work properly (according to the current owner it jams in the upper part of the mast). Becaus of the he left the furled mainsail in the mast and bought a conventional mainsail with is running on nylon slides (no roller bearings) and which is not full battened. (see picture)

I dislike in mast furling mainsails and would prefer a fully battened square top main sail with roller bearing batten cars.

Now I am considering a few options:

1. Remove the furling sail and hopefully also the furling stuff inside the mast and adapt the mast (bolt on a new track für roller bearing cars - if that's possible with the opening for the old sail next to the track) and buy a new proper mainsail

2. replace the mast with a conventional mast - maybe the original one from Lagoon.

3. Like 2 but with a slightly taller mast to be able to carry more sails in low winds. (I did that with a monohull many years ago and was very pleased with that decision. One can alway reduce sail area in strong winds but not extend beyond what the mast allows in calm waether)

Any opinions on my thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8696.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	142327  
CruiserAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 13:39   #2

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Re: Mast modification

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserAD View Post
Hello

I'm in the process of buying a L380 from 2004. The boat has a few things I'd like to change and one of the biggest is the mast. It's currently got an inmast furling mainsail which does not work properly (according to the current owner it jams in the upper part of the mast). Becaus of the he left the furled mainsail in the mast and bought a conventional mainsail with is running on nylon slides (no roller bearings) and which is not full battened. (see picture)

I dislike in mast furling mainsails and would prefer a fully battened square top main sail with roller bearing batten cars.

Now I am considering a few options:

1. Remove the furling sail and hopefully also the furling stuff inside the mast and adapt the mast (bolt on a new track für roller bearing cars - if that's possible with the opening for the old sail next to the track) and buy a new proper mainsail

2. replace the mast with a conventional mast - maybe the original one from Lagoon.

3. Like 2 but with a slightly taller mast to be able to carry more sails in low winds. (I did that with a monohull many years ago and was very pleased with that decision. One can alway reduce sail area in strong winds but not extend beyond what the mast allows in calm waether)

Any opinions on my thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Jan
Option 1 its expensive and lame, because after all you have a inmastfurler capped, if the sail its really stuck inside the slot the only way to free is from the mast head..

Option 2 is even more expensive but you get a proper mast and some resale value, i dont think its a good idea to ask for more extra spar lenght ...

Im your shoes i will try to found a used L38 spar or a new one.. and get the OEM rig....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 13:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Re: Mast modification

Depends on your budget tolerance, buying new masts gets expensive quick.

1) is cheap, leaves you with a cobbled together system and an extrusion that is too big but will work.

2) if you can find someone with a 380 that wants an in mast furler you could probably just swap both rigs, call it a wash, and both walk away happy for the cost of desteppung the masts. A great option if you can find someone to swap with.

If you can't find a partner, then I would go with 3.

3) the most expensive option, and how much bigger and more sail area would need some input from the designer, but it would be my preference if the boat is regularly under canvassed. Certainly look for a good used mast before buying new, but if you do go new go carbon.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast