Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 14:57   #1

Manual bilge pumps Lagoon 420

I wanted to ensure that the manual bilge pumps in the cockpit of our L420 were servicable. I turned off the electric pumps and filled the bilges from a hose.
I cannot get the manual pumps to work, and am not even sure where the pickup is located, there doesn't seem to be an extra pickup pipe in the bilge.
Any ideas?Click image for larger version

Name:	20180128_084920.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	162951
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 15:44   #2

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Manual bilge pumps Lagoon 420

I am not sure about the L420, but on my ex L450 the pickup was right next to the electric pump pickup. There should be one in each bilge.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 23:15   #3

Boat: Lagoon 420

The pickup is in the bilge for sure. Check that any pickups haven’t been lifted and secured up above water level by the previous owner for some reason.

Have a look and I think you should be able to disassemble these Manual pumps for cleaning/service. That might get them working.

Ours work so sorry I can’t offer more help.
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 23:59   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will follow the pipes from the pump to find if they have been disconnected for some reason before I pull the pumps apart.
Each bilge has a Rule-Mate 2000 submersible bilge pump and a Johnson diaphragm pump with it's own pickup.
Maybe the manual pumps have been disconnected to install the second electric pump, I will report my findings!
Old 28-01-2018, 10:27   #5

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

For what it's worth -

I just rebuilt my Whale Gusher Titan manual pump. The flapper valves had lost flexibility (like me ) and were not opening and closing sufficiently to get a suction going from the bilge out through the pump. Original pump - 18 years old.

I disconnected the lines from both sides and put a water hose in each of them to ensure that the hoses from the pump to the bilge and out through the thru hull were both clear. I ordered a couple of rebuild kits and installed one and now it's working fine.
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 21:41   #6

Further investigation found that the manual pumps share the same pipes as the electric submersible pumps. There is a non return valve about 1 metre downstream from the submersible pump and this was not sealing and stopping the manual pump priming. All now working but I would not want to have to use those manual pumps for long, a lot of effort for small return!

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, lagoon, lagoon 420