Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-07-2012, 13:03   #1

Mainteinace and annual costs of a catamaran

Since I'm taking a look to the used catamaran marked, but actually I still deciding what to do due to my inexperience, could I ask to the various forum users to share the annual fixed costs that they pay for their catamaran ?
ex.:
annual insurance cost (kasko? )
annual docking price and place
Taxes (if your country has)
etc.
etc.

thanks for attention

Old 27-07-2012, 13:09   #2
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Mainteinace and annual costs of a catamaran

not a cat but ...
Attached Files
File Type: xls Rubber Ducky expensives.xls (23.5 KB, 435 views)

Old 27-07-2012, 13:48   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
not a cat but ...
thanks
Old 30-07-2012, 05:56   #4

no one else can reply to this thread ?
Old 30-07-2012, 06:29   #5
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Not without many more particulars. What make, model and vintage of boat are we talking about? Do you intend it for liveaboard and, if so, as a dock queen or for extended cruising? Where do you intend to sail and when? What is the condition of the vessel - i.e., how old are the sails, running rigging, standing rigging, portlights/hatches, batteries, how many hours on the diesels, etc., etc. How long do you plan on owning the boat? Since replacing many of the systems - e.g., sails, diesels, hatches etc. should be amortized rather than included as an annual expense, the period of amortization will vary in relation to not only the life-expectancy of the item, but also your period of ownership (while you will get some additional return on resale, you should not expect it to be equal to the price less straight-line depreciation).

Yes, I know that maintenace is not a 'fixed' cost, but you would be wise to budget for it as it will almost assuredly exceed the cost of docking and insurance. If you want to get costs for docking, call marinas in you area. Ditto for insurance, once you have determined what boat you are planning on buying, your intended use and the coverage you desire. With respect to annual maintenance costs, there have already been a number of threads on the topic.

Brad
Old 30-07-2012, 06:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Not without many more particulars. What make, model and vintage of boat are we talking about? Do you intend it for liveaboard and, if so, as a dock queen or for extended cruising? Where do you intend to sail and when? What is the condition of the vessel - i.e., how old are the sails, running rigging, standing rigging, portlights/hatches, batteries, how many hours on the diesels, etc., etc. How long do you plan on owning the boat? Since replacing many of the systems - e.g., sails, diesels, hatches etc. should be amortized rather than included as an annual expense, the period of amortization will vary in relation to not only the life-expectancy of the item, but also your period of ownership (while you will get some additional return on resale, you should not expect it to be equal to the price less straight-line depreciation).

Yes, I know that maintenace is not a 'fixed' cost, but you would be wise to budget for it as it will almost assuredly exceed the cost of docking and insurance. If you want to get costs for docking, call marinas in you area. Ditto for insurance, once you have determined what boat you are planning on buying, your intended use and the coverage you desire. With respect to annual maintenance costs, there have already been a number of threads on the topic.

Brad
Thanks for your reply, I was looking to a Lagoon 440 or similar cat and yes it's about living abroad.
I was simply looking to an excel with all the expenses as Don Lucas posted to take an idea about how much a Lagoon 440 or similar cat owner pays in one year, of course I know that the annual cost could be really different from a boat to another, but I wanted to take a look to few of these spending annual report to have a better general idea.
My idea to living abroad is to sail around without docking in the marinas for long periods or at all

Actually my target it's a 300k$ used Lagoon 440 and I would like to sail in the Mediterranean.
Old 30-07-2012, 07:00   #7
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

James, we have a number of members who own Lagoon 440's (and posting in the Lagoon area should help with boa- specific numbers). In addition, we have a number of members crusing the med who can likely assist with respect to docking/moorage/haulout/fuel costs etc., if you start a thread under the Med for destinations.

Cheers!

Brad
Old 30-07-2012, 07:28   #8

Quote:
James, we have a number of members who own Lagoon 440's (and posting in the Lagoon area should help with boa- specific numbers). In addition, we have a number of members crusing the med who can likely assist with respect to docking/moorage/haulout/fuel costs etc., if you start a thread under the Med for destinations.

Cheers!

Brad
Ok I'll try to post in the Med sailing area too
thanks
Old 30-07-2012, 08:40   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

James-
"in the Med "
Beware that in the Schengen countries and the EU there will also be issues to deal with. It isn't like it was 40 years ago, you may be limited to 90 days visit, or hit with a VAT on the boat, if you stay in the wrong places too long. The Med can be full of red tape these days, some of it very expensive.
Old 30-07-2012, 09:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
James-
"in the Med "
Beware that in the Schengen countries and the EU there will also be issues to deal with. It isn't like it was 40 years ago, you may be limited to 90 days visit, or hit with a VAT on the boat, if you stay in the wrong places too long. The Med can be full of red tape these days, some of it very expensive.
I don't have this kind of problem cos I'm from Italy
Old 06-08-2012, 00:21   #11

Boat: Sandvik 880MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by james3 View Post
I don't have this kind of problem cos I'm from Italy
As long as you stay in an EU country, that is.

Regards,
Arne
Old 07-04-2013, 13:16   #12

Boat: Many

Quote:

Brad

Good job not answering the question.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:43   #13

I've asked the question many times and more than most, in fact almost always it comes down to 10% of the value of the boat, all inclusive...
Old 11-04-2013, 05:40   #14
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

A 2012 lagoon 380 in the Med,
Insurance, $1600
out of the water hardstand cost $20/day
in the water marina $40/day (varies from $20 - $100 depending where you are)
engines say $500/year, depends on age and usage
Thats about it, what else do you need? the rest is variable depending on the condition of the boat..do you need new sails and equipment or whatever.

Tags
catamaran

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: