Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 17:34   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge
Mainsail bag

I have recently started sailing my new-to-me 450, which has the large bimini fitted.

Any tips for backing up the main into the mainsail bag (Lagoon standard Incidence type)?

I am trying a small step ladder which is OK on quiet anchorages, but I wouldn't want to be trying that in a swell.

I am aware the Incidence sailbags have a very limited life, so any suggested designs for a replacement that accounts for the high boom?
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 22:46   #2

Re: Mainsail bag

The old poke it around with a boat, hook used to have limited success, I always used to leave it until anchored. The added advantage of a hard top is being able to now access the sail and boom easily.

When you have a new bag made look into a zip on a continuous line. The best results seem to be with the zip (needs to be the largest tooth available) not in the center of the top flap but offset down the one side of the bag with one side of the zip adjacent to the Sail Bags side baton for support. Had one made this year only used a couple of times so far so good, if I ever get to set off this year and put it through its paces will report back.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 03:55   #3

We still have original April 2011 sailbag, needed a bit of stitching here and there but still works. We use an extra long boat hook with plastic end to:

1. Flip the tie downs over the bag
2. Grab the batten cars if sail does not fall all the way down
3. Slide hook inside/underneath bag near mast to grab the halyard and pull halyard down and secure to a hook/leash at base of mast. This brings top part of sail down inside the bag.

When we first bought the boat we had a 3 step ladder made up to bolt to the rear bar of the large bimini, this is very useful to get to rear end of boom and sail. We also had a 1" reinforcing post made up to fit between the middle of the bimini and the deck (near the instrument console) (T shaped with U bolts at top and a stanchion type foot). This means on the rare occasion I can make my way along the center of the bimini (when at anchor) to attend to any maintenance or tidy the sail. (I weigh 95Kg) We are considering having an alloy or plywood plank made up to put down the center of the bimini U bolted to existing frame, but as yet have not really needed it.

By the way the reinforcing post in the center is a great handhold when negotiating the fly-bridge in rough weather.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 04:00   #4

Boat: L 450

Mount a walkable big Bimini like i have

M
Darksyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 04:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
Mount a walkable big Bimini like i have

M
What cost?
Old 28-05-2017, 05:58   #6

round about 9K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00819.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	148576  
Old 28-05-2017, 06:01   #7

one more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00284.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	148577  
Old 28-05-2017, 09:28   #8

Quote Bean Counter " Grab the batten cars if sail does not fall all the way down"

Do you not have a 6mm Dynema down-haul line on Main sail to pull it all the way down.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 19:37   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450

As your main loosens up with use it will more easily flop down into the bag. Most of the time! With some offside wind it will occasionally flop outside the bag. We also have a downhaul line that's very affective; attached to the top of the square sail, and when the sail is about ¾'s down will pull on this for the final entry into the bag. And finally. also have a little Al step ladder that I use occasionally to get up there with a boat hook and 'beat' in back into the bag. Useful for other purposes too. We also have a good quality Doyle bag with the zip-line system that works quite well.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 04:36   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450

Leisure Furl [emoji16]
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 11:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
Quote Bean Counter " Grab the batten cars if sail does not fall all the way down"

Do you not have a 6mm Dynema down-haul line on Main sail to pull it all the way down.
There are the fittings for it. The mainsail drops in full 90% of the time unless for some reason the top gets caught folding over the lazy jacks usually in heavy rolling side on swell. I have every now and then thought about the down-haul option, but it is just another mess of line to deal with....one day.

Tags
mainsail, sail