Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2017, 08:52   #1

Boat: None, Currently (though looking)
Low Power Microwave for 400S2?

Once again, another question related to an 8 week charter sailboat trip on '15 400S2 through the Caribbean Leeward Islands.

I am wondering if I can effectively power a low power (700 watt, manual dial for time/temp) microwave on the boat, or for that matter other similar small kitchen appliances such as Nutribullet blender. As information, the boat has inverter and 110v outlets, 7.5kW generator and A/C, though I don't know the exact specs on the generator or specifics about battery banks (other than probably just base standards).

The owner of the charter boat has said that other "similar" boats have simple countertop microwaves installed, so clearly its possible. Owner doesn't know enough about the boat to know whether the electrical system of his boat allows for that, so I'm asking of this board. Its unlikely I'll know any more details before I must make a decision to purchase and carry a M/W or Nutribullet to BVIs. (That cost/effort for me is relatively insignificant.)

Disclosure: I am NOT an electrician and don't understand anything about wattage/amp load/etc - thus the questions!
Breck Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 09:05   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Low Power Microwave for 400S2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Sailor View Post
Once again, another question related to an 8 week charter sailboat trip on '15 400S2 through the Caribbean Leeward Islands.

I am wondering if I can effectively power a low power (700 watt, manual dial for time/temp) microwave on the boat, or for that matter other similar small kitchen appliances such as Nutribullet blender. As information, the boat has inverter and 110v outlets, 7.5kW generator and A/C, though I don't know the exact specs on the generator or specifics about battery banks (other than probably just base standards).

The owner of the charter boat has said that other "similar" boats have simple countertop microwaves installed, so clearly its possible. Owner doesn't know enough about the boat to know whether the electrical system of his boat allows for that, so I'm asking of this board. Its unlikely I'll know any more details before I must make a decision to purchase and carry a M/W or Nutribullet to BVIs. (That cost/effort for me is relatively insignificant.)

Disclosure: I am NOT an electrician and don't understand anything about wattage/amp load/etc - thus the questions!
With the 7.5kW generator running, you can most certainly power a microwave and the blender.

Whether they can be powered via the inverter without having to run the generator is up to the rating of the inverter, which you don't provide.

One probably needs at least a 1000 watt (maybe even 1200), pure sine inverter to handle a 700 watt microwave. This is really a modestly size inverter, so the chances are good that the boat has one. If it doesn't, oh well, run the generator. That blender is tiny, so any inverter found on a boat with a 7.5kW generator should be fine.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 09:07   #3

Boat: Tartan 4100

Off hand, I would say "no problem" but much of that would be to assume that the inverter is at least a 1000W, which would be a safe bet. It's probably a 2000W inverter which is what I have on my boat and it powers my 750Watt micro with no issues. I would also make another assumption that since is is wired for 110Volt shore power that the outlets and wire gauge would also be appropriately sized, but I would check to confirm.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 10:24   #4

Thanks very much for those replies. It would appear that we'll have no issues with either a low power microwave or Nutribullet blender. I appreciate the responses!

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 29-03-2017, 11:54   #5

More information - inverter is 2000W. So appears, all good.
Old 29-03-2017, 12:07   #6

check that it's a pure sine wave inverter
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 12:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
check that it's a pure sine wave inverter

We've just reached the limit of my knowledge...or information!
Old 29-03-2017, 17:33   #8

A useful factoid is that inverter type microwaves (i.e. some Panasonics) draw lower power on lower power settings. Regular microwaves pull full power on lower settings but run intermittently.

Our big full sized Panasonic 2000 W inverter would not start properly on a Honda Eu2000 generator but runs well on Power setting 7 (70% power?) on same gender.

Happiness is a warm bowl of soup!
IronicIslander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low power