Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2016, 16:19   #256

Boat: Lagoon 420 Hybrid "Where II"
Re: Love my Lagoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karend007 View Post
Well that is interesting... My original Yanmar supplied seals with the same part number 196449-02871 are black (apart from the rust marks from that non stainless spring corroding) and single lip...
Sorry but I cleaned up my old ones today and they were indeed Vitron but definitely only one sealing lip. Picked up 14 Vitron seals here for US$60 plus $14 for the orings. I think that makes them just over $5 each. Quote for a Yanmar seal was $48.64. Since I have just changed them in the Bahamas these will go into the spares box.
Thanks for the info
Matt
Old 22-11-2016, 01:55   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karend007 View Post
Sorry but I cleaned up my old ones today and they were indeed Vitron but definitely only one sealing lip. Picked up 14 Vitron seals here for US$60 plus $14 for the orings. I think that makes them just over $5 each. Quote for a Yanmar seal was $48.64. Since I have just changed them in the Bahamas these will go into the spares box.
Thanks for the info
Matt
That many seals should outlast the boat!

It makes me wonder about the morality of Yanmar charging customers ten times the fair price for an item. The company you bought the seals from is also presumably making a reasonable profit.

Then again, I'm a little left wing in an increasingly right wing world. The mantra is once again "Greed is good", as said by Gordon Gecko in "Wall Street".

Safe trip home.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 10:41   #258

Boat: Lagoon 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
It makes me wonder about the morality of Yanmar charging customers ten times the fair price for an item.
I'd agree & your 10x comment is pretty close tuskie.

Priced out a spare Yanmar alternator for the 3JH4E engines on our L420 in St. Lucia for $1070 US. Aftermarket Wilson alternator here in Canada is $490 US. Bought a rebuilt WAI World Power Systems unit off eBay that is on its way for $120 US and will take it with us to the boat in January. I'm wondering a little on the quality but it is a low cost spare to have on board at least.

Really looking forward to heading south and being back onboard for another season!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 17:12   #259

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hey All,

We bought our 400 second hand in December. Been busy tidying it up so haven't managed to get out yet. The forums have been an awesome reference, especially as I had to change all the head plumbing - that was fun!

It has crossed the waters to get here to sydney from the US so is fully loaded although now working out what to do about the 110v setup..

Looking forward hearing more great advice from you all.

Cheers
Sam
sambos76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:32   #260

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambos76 View Post
Hey All,

We bought our 400 second hand in December. Been busy tidying it up so haven't managed to get out yet. The forums have been an awesome reference, especially as I had to change all the head plumbing - that was fun!

It has crossed the waters to get here to sydney from the US so is fully loaded although now working out what to do about the 110v setup..

Looking forward hearing more great advice from you all.

Cheers
Sam
Welcome to L400 club ! L400 seem to be quite popular in Sydney. And for good reasons - looks good, keeps wife happy, and sails well.

Sailing them to full potential takes sea miles though. After 2K, I can say my sailing skills have definitely improved and I am very happy with L400 sailing ability.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 11:23   #261

Boat: Lagoon 450

Happy to announce we have finally upgraded from being forum lurkers to proud (albeit still rather over-whelmed) 2011 L450 owners.

Thanks to the Lagoon forum for all the great information which helped guide us on our purchase, and am sure will now continue to guide us through our ownership.

Pretty steep learning curve being a first time yacht owner!
Millerslocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 21:11   #262

Boat: LAGOON 440

Hi Fellow Lagoon Lovers,
I wonder if any of you have experienced the same issue as myself with the steering compass. The magnetic compass reading on our L400 always seemed to me to be incorrect, and I have finally purchased a hand bearing compass to check it out. The result of my checking is that there is something near the steering compass which pulls the card almost 25 degrees to port. The same happens to my hand held compass as I bring it closer to the position of the steering compass.
Has anyone experienced the same issue? and if so, what (if anything) were you able to do about it?
Twenty-five degrees is a bit much to be showing on a deviation card.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 22:24   #263

"The same happens to my hand held compass as I bring it closer to the position of the steering compass."

I would be trying to find what is causing the deviation. Use your hand held compass as a detector and you should be able to find what is magnetically influencing your instruments.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 00:18   #264

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

IN the days before electronics compasses needed to be mounted well away from electrics metals and swung. I doubt many of the production builders would bother thesedays. Happy to be proven otherwise.

When you look how compasses are mounted today in many of the production vessels today it does not surprise me that that there are issues with deviation.

How far away from your compass is everything that is likely to affect it magnetically?

Is it too close to the wheel/ hydraulic pump? Admit I don't know what they use on the L400.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 02:28   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savanna View Post
Hi Fellow Lagoon Lovers,
I wonder if any of you have experienced the same issue as myself with the steering compass. The magnetic compass reading on our L400 always seemed to me to be incorrect, and I have finally purchased a hand bearing compass to check it out. The result of my checking is that there is something near the steering compass which pulls the card almost 25 degrees to port. The same happens to my hand held compass as I bring it closer to the position of the steering compass.
Has anyone experienced the same issue? and if so, what (if anything) were you able to do about it?
Twenty-five degrees is a bit much to be showing on a deviation card.
Ok, Savanna, a couple of things to check.

Firstly, is your compass made for the southern hemisphere? If, it is original fitment Plastimo Offshore 95, you can check this by going to the Plastimo website and checking the region code. For NZ, it should be 0062-10, or similiar.

Our vessel came with the northern hemisphere model, which could not be "swung" accurately. You can upgrade to a model that is adjustable for worldwide use, but these are quite expensive.

Secondly, has your compass been "swung" ?
Once, you have a suitable compass, read the manual regarding how to "swing" or adjust using the built in adjustment magnets. These will go a long way towards counteracting the effects of magnetic interference. You should be able to adjust a Plastimo 95 to within 5 degrees accuracy. Make sure you turn on all electronics when you swing the compass, as electronics on or off can make a significant difference. Downunder is correct in saying that designing helms for remote and accurate compass mounting is not a high priority.

Once swung correctly your compass will probably be adequate for general coastal navigation use. Especially if you are like most and tend not to use it! If you wish to use it for "real" navigation, go the next step and prepare a "deviation card", a table of corrections for each 10 degree of the compass headings. eg. " at compass heading 90° deviate plus 2°" etc.
This is easy to prepare using a trusted GPS to compare headings and a bit of time on a calm day.
Old 22-02-2017, 16:08   #266

Boat: LAGOON 440

Thank you Tuskie for your detailed response - much appreciated. I have now removed the compass from the boat, and whilst it is definitely a Plastimo brand compass, there is nothing else written on it to confirm the model, or code of any kind to indicate whether it is Zone A or Zone C. Given that the 2009 vessel was purchased about 12 months ago, I have no idea whether the compass has ever been swung, but I have found some good DIY instructions on the internet re "swinging your compass".
Next time we go sailing I will have a go at swinging the compass, and if that proves to be difficult, I will assume that I have a Zone A compass and purchase a new one making sure that it is Zone C.
Again many thanks for your help.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:50   #267

Boat: Broadblue 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
I added bollards on the aft corners of my Lagoon 380 to secure the drogue bridal. See details on lagoon inside Web Site for bollard mounting details. The bollards are tied into the gunnels, engine room bulkhead and transom steps, with 8 inch wide strips of heavy fiberglass cloth bedded in epoxy with a one quarter inch thick aluminum backing plate.
Maybe a dumb question, but on which "lagoon inside Web Site" would I find the pictures of the bollard mounting details?
CruiserAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 13:25   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserAD View Post
Maybe a dumb question, but on which "lagoon inside Web Site" would I find the pictures of the bollard mounting details?
Try this link: https://lagoon-inside.com/2011/12/ti...eam-of-jeanne/

Whilst the article is about a L380 it is applicable to other models as well.
I've done a similar mod on our L400 using large Wichard pad - eyes instead of bollards.
Old 04-03-2017, 22:46   #269

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42 Catamaran

Really enjoying my new 2017 Lagoon 42. Here is a video where we test out the new Code Zero sail.

https://youtu.be/SDd6cFKM5WE
Water Dragon 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 22:19   #270

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Try this link: https://lagoon-inside.com/2011/12/ti...eam-of-jeanne/

Whilst the article is about a L380 it is applicable to other models as well.
I've done a similar mod on our L400 using large Wichard pad - eyes instead of bollards.
which particular wichard pad eye did you use ?

One I can see on internet, can't see how could be done .....
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon