Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2015, 23:52   #136

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Love my Lagoon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
The bottom step, that the swim ladder is through bolted to is definitely balsa cored. Jump into your engine bay, adopt the yoga position required to check the saiłdrive oil level and then look up to observe the underside of the bottom step/ swim platform. You will see the nuts on the mounting bolts of the ladder and it's plain to see the coring. It's an easy job to remove ladder, decore and push in plenty of thickened epoxy before rebolting.

I don't wish to start another thread on balsa core rot! However, you don't need a leak to get rot. Lots of salt water leaking might sink your boat but it stops timber rotting. A small amount of fresh water will cause rot. Even water vapour is enough. If the cored composite is not 100% air tight the daily heating and cooling of a deck or hull will "breath" air containing water vapour in and out. This is enough to cause a soft timber such as balsa to rot.

Cheers
Thanks for pointing this out. I will have detailed look.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 00:09   #137

I had a look today and balsa core is used above water line. Best can this be observed in bow department.

So, if water comes in, from impact that causes crack for example, you get moisture, fungus, etc.

However, after more detailed inspection, there are 0.5m X 0.5m balsa pieces next to each other and they appear sealed from each other. That is what Lagoon page claims as well. So, if water comes in 1, it will be job of redoing 0.5m X 0.5m area and not the whole hull. Not end of the world situation for sure. Even I could take on this one. I think different colour would give up offending block.

It appears reasonable solution to me.
Old 16-06-2015, 08:23   #138
LNL

Boat: still a waterfront lot
Re: Love my LAGOON !

Roetter, I am also from B.C. We are hoping to purchase a Lagoon next year. How long are you staying out of the Country? We want to do a 2 year sabbatical and need to know how to go about getting the papers to leave Canada for that long.
LNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 13:22   #139

Boat: Lagoon L39 Hull# 019

Just took delivery of our new L39 this past weekend. Broker worked with me on the walkthrough, docking, maneuvering, anchoring and managed to get in some sailing time.

Love our new Lagoon!
Old 14-07-2015, 06:54   #140

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

I love my Lagoon, I also loved my sailing partner.
My Dad, a great guy and since buying our boat he has spent 52 days sailing with me.
Last night he put himself to bed in his own home for the last time.
He passed away in his sleep, one cannot feel bad about his passing, he wanted me to promise that he would never be inside an old age home, I did that,we also logged 20,000 miles in his motor home, and he sailed 52 days in our boat, he will be missed.
RIP big guy

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 07:06   #141

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottster View Post
I love my Lagoon, I also loved my sailing partner.
My Dad, a great guy and since buying our boat he has spent 52 days sailing with me.
Last night he put himself to bed in his own home for the last time.
He passed away in his sleep, one cannot feel bad about his passing, he wanted me to promise that he would never be inside an old age home, I did that,we also logged 20,000 miles in his motor home, and he sailed 52 days in our boat, he will be missed.
RIP big guy

Great story! Not your Dad's death, but his fulfilled life. I'm in the same situation with my parents, but they are in an old age home. I wish my parents were physically able to go boating.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 08:34   #142
TOT

Boat: Lagoon 450

God Bless Scottster 🙏🏻

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 15-07-2015, 08:52   #143
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Sorry to hear that scottster. I'm glad you you made the most of your time together.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 21:21   #144

My condolences, Scottster.

It seems that your father taught you, and us, to make the most of what you have whilst you still have it. May he rest in peace.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2015, 21:24   #145

PS . Monte, congratulations on your promotion.
Old 08-09-2015, 15:35   #146

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Still loving my 400S2
My Yanmar SD-50's not so much.
Both sail drives are dead.
You buy a great boat and have to back out of the marina because both sail drives are unable to go into forward.
Very disappointing.

Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 15:57   #147

Quote:
Still loving my 400S2
You buy a great boat and have to back out of the marina because both sail drives are unable to go into forward.
Very disappointing.

likely cones. They are 500 hrs maintenance item.

You take both cone assemblies out and send to competent mechanic to service. Then put them back in.

Put some thought& experiment how to engage/disengage. Gentle blip helps, similar to F1 racers changing gears in their cars.

I also change gear oil when not totally clean. Cheap 30 $ / 30 min fix that works.

I am close to 500 hrs and they both work flawlessly after initial scare year ago immediately after we purchased.

Cones are good as protect you from major damage if propellers catch something.
Old 08-09-2015, 16:15   #148

Quote:
Still loving my 400S2
Hey Scottster, are they dead or just need a lapping job on the cone clutches?

Mine are at the point of slipping quite badly. I have to wait a while to get the props to start pushing water. Not good, but I'm nursing them till I get back to home port. Once tied up, I'll get them relapped and get all the tools to be able to do this job on the water. I like to be able to service and repair as much as possible on my boat, if required.

I recently spoke will a commercial whale watching operator who uses a sailing catamaran fitted with SD50s. He does an awful lot of gear shifting! His Yanmars have done over 4,500 hours and he has had the cone clutches relapped 6 times each. It's part of the service required and should be done in 2 hours labour each side. If a mechanic tells you that the engine needs to be removed, find another who knows his job. Parts required are minimal.

It's no big deal. If you are worried about clutch slipping, then get them lapped every 500 hours as the service manual recommends. This should prevent you ever having this problem. There has been a lot of hysteria about SD50s. I wish that they didn't require this service job, but I'll learn to live with them rather than upgrade to the newer SD60s just yet.
Old 08-09-2015, 17:11   #149

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne

SD 50's need service every 500 hours?? What a PITA!! I've got SD 20's with 1900 hours on them. Never touched them. Guess I'm on borrowed time.
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 17:30   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
I've got SD 20's with 1900 hours on them. Never touched them.
No oil changes, seals or anodes? You're cruising for a bruising.

SD20s have a dog clutch design which doesn't require the lapping procedure to prevent slippage. They do still to be serviced! It was fitted to L400s with the smaller, standard 29 hp Yanmars. However, the cone clutch of the SD50s, as Arsenelupiga pointed out, has the advantage of being able to slip in order to avoid damage to the gearbox. It is also very smooth in engaging. Yes, it's a PITA to service but in the whole scheme of boat maintenance issues, not the massive problem that some people make out.

Tags
lagoon