Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 07:14   #1

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
Looking at GB for Lagoon 410 Hard Top

In a nut shell I am going to have a Hard Top fabricated in Florida for the 410. The more that are produced the cheaper it will be. 10 would be the magic number to get a considerable price break. I'm looking for interest in joining a GROUP BUY.

The particulars:
The construction of the hardtop for the Lagoon 410 shall be made of fiberglass consisting of laid up fiberglass. The finish shall be white in color, glossy, and smooth on the top side. A nonslip texture shall be infused within the mold process giving a clear indication of walking areas. The underside will be a slight texture with a painted surface since the mold process will be for the TOP PORTION ONLY*.
Structurally the HT shall be mounted on the existing frame utilizing “C” brackets fabricated and provided by the fabricator. Additional mounting support shall be built into the HT so slight variations in framing can be accounted for and the HT can be securely mounted.

The HT shall incorporate the following features.
1.Drip Rail
2.Textured nonslip walking surface on top
3.FIXED Plexiglass “see thru” hatch above HELM.*
4.A means of securing a windshield to the front edge of the HT (to be determined)

The HT will mount to the existing frame work. Any and all additional supports and fabrication the owner wishes to add are not included however the HT will work and be supported by the existing structual frame work.
Fabrication shall be in Florida and pick-up there.
Shipping World wide at Buyers expense.

*The process for a top with smooth finish top and bottom would require a second mold, layup and joining the 2 pieces together, basically doubling the cost. The finish would be somewhat smooth but not to the same quality or gloss as the top of the HT. Since this is above an exposed framework this was not a concern.

*I’m looking at 2 other options but only one will go into the production.
Removable Plexiglass
Sliding Plexiglass in a track

This is a basic spec and I’m looking into options and interest. Understand that this is a replacement for the Ragtop and much safer and stronger however items such as lights, speakers, and such incorporated will not be considered as a base of this design. My main concern is Structural Integrity, Ascetically pleasing, Functionality, and Cost.
To that last point I’m trying to keep the cost under $5,000 US per unit. Possibly cheaper with more interest since the mold cost will be offset.

The Process:
1.Verification of dimensions from several interested parties. This is to insure that Lagoon fabricated the frames to within some type of standard and a means to insure that others later can verify before purchasing that the HT will fit as designed. This can be done prior to any deposits or fabrication.
2.Verify fixed price and fabrication schedule.
3.Commitment to purchase deposit given to Fabricator.
4.Once the specs are finalized and deposit given fabrication will begin.

The Fabricator is well known in the business, producing tops for a number of other boats and I’m sure we can have a local owner in Florida check on progress. Believe me I don’t give any money out until I have a VERY warm fuzzy feeling but I’m committed to replacing my ragtop with something safer and much better looking.

Understand that the more interest we have up front the cheaper this will be. 10 is my goal however if we get more it could help in offsetting the startup costs. Once the prospective buyers get on board we will go to Email. This is going to be posted at several boards to get as much interest as possible.

All comments welcome.

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:52   #2

Re: Looking at GB for Lagoon 410 Hard Top

UPDATE 1
I mentioned 3 options for the hatch area above the Helm. This was all cost based. I continued to discuss this with the fabricator and desided there really was no option. He has agreed to work the operable (sliding) hatch into the under $5k pricing.
Also I didn't mention anything about the ability to carry solar panels on the HT. The top will be able to mount Solar Panels. Fact is you should be able to walk about anywhere on the top but at the hatch area. It won't be a dance floor but strong enough that you could move around. More pictures to follow.

In general guys I'm looking for any input and questions.

Steve in Solomons MD
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51   #3

A couple of pictures for the bases of design.

Old 17-10-2012, 05:03   #4

Boat: Lagoon 410

8 1\2 x 14' that is the appro dimension
cashgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 10:43   #5

I'm looking for anyone with a 410 Factory Hardtop in the US area. As I've posted in the past I'm having them fabricated and need to get some details from an original one provided from the factory. Production is coming along but some details are needed to complete the molds.
If you have a HT from the factory please email me at:
sdolan@scannersllc.com
Thanks,
Steve in Solomons MD
Old 27-06-2013, 10:56   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Can save tons of money by just putting Azek sheets over the SS bimini frame you have now. This cost me only $1,350

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post823942

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post960180
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 11:39   #7

Nice Cotemar but not everyone has the talent you have shown. We also need to be able to walk on the HT and I don't think yours is capable of that as well as a operable hatch at the Helm. Since the Ragtop is over $3000 to replace a hardtop that looks like it belongs and will stay there is a better choice for a few thousand more.
Steve in Solomons MD
Old 28-06-2013, 20:16   #8

hi Cotomar

I will do my hardtop in Azek sheets great look low cost like the idea can you tell me how you fix the sheet on the stainless steel post and witch silicone did you use to joint them together. do you have more picture in the construction process.

thanks
Old 29-06-2013, 05:28   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashgar View Post
hi Cotemar

I will do my hardtop in Azek sheets great look low cost like the idea can you tell me how you fix the sheet on the stainless steel post and witch silicone did you use to joint them together. do you have more picture in the construction process.

thanks
I am out sailing in Nantucket for a bit, but when I get back I will get you more info
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 20:05   #10

thanks
Old 30-07-2013, 04:23   #11

Hi Cotemar

are you back form Nantuket? still interest to get more picture in the construction process and information how you did it.

thanks Cashgar
Old 30-07-2013, 06:06   #12

For those that are interested in a 410 Hardtop here is the website for the Manufacture Dedicated Marine.
Dedicated Marine HOME - Dedicated Marine

There are no pictures yet of the 410 hard top other than what I have posted before. Anyone interested in a HT contact me at: sdolan@scannersllc.com Production will be as soon as we can get a few boats signed up. We are still shooting for a price in the $5K range. At this time the HT will be 2 pieces so it can be shipped anywhere in the world!

Steve in Solomons MD
Old 06-12-2013, 09:28   #13

Well I'm still looking for an original hardtop to use as a mold. This winter we may go with a diffferent option but we are willing to pay for the use of a hardtop if someone is close to make a mold so if you want some good hard cash drop me a line.

Steve in Solomons MD
Old 15-01-2014, 04:07   #14

Quick update.
A very kind (and excited) new owner of a 410 has offered his Hard Top up for a mold this summer and we will be proceeding with Fabrication soon after. Anyone interested please contact me at:
sdolan@scannersllc.com

Steve in Solomons MD
Old 15-01-2014, 04:41   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

This thread contains hidden treasure for owners of earlier cat designs that don't have cockpit hardtops. What became of the effort? The website for dedicated marine (link in this thread) is well done, explaining the fabricators capabilities apparently focused on cats. I used to be in the FRP business and Dedicated Marine certainly looks like a first rate operation delivering unique design and construction.

Am considering a pre Evolution Mahe but don't like the lack of a well designed hardtop. This could be a solution.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon