Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2017, 19:57   #16

Re: Largest TV - Request

Catapult, actually, I love I love "cruisers" who worry about how big a TV they can squeeze into their " entertainment platforms"......Er, I mean boats. I never see them out at the anchorages 'cause they never stray far from a marina.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 19:59   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Jensen makes a 40" 12 volt model
I was reading about that TV. They call it a 40 inch model but the specs say it is 28 inch diagonal. Maybe they are measuring the perimeter???

In any case, it is standard def, and my kids would laugh at me if I showed up with such a blasphemy. However, it seems that a typical 40 inch 2k high def LED tv uses about 60-80 watts. I suppose even a $20 Harbor Freight inverter could run that. Do you know if TVs are sensitive like a motor (i.e. - modified sine wave versus pure sine wave)?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2017, 20:53   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid75 View Post
Catapult, actually, I love I love "cruisers" who worry about how big a TV they can squeeze into their " entertainment platforms"......Er, I mean boats. I never see them out at the anchorages 'cause they never stray far from a marina.
Can't vouch for Catapult, but Paul and Steve live aboard their L450 "entertainment platforms " and spend very long stints on the anchor. They even manage that "sailing bit", between anchorages.

Perhaps having a very comfortable boat equipped with generous solar power, large battery capacity, watermaker, holding tanks, copious refrigeration and yes, home entertainment, makes for less need to visit a marina?

Where did the "real cruisers don't have big TVs" rule come from?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:16   #19

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid75 View Post
And I love people who judge you, without even the faintest idea of who you are, what your doing or why your doing it. God Bless the internet...
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:20   #20

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

My wife and I and our cats plan to be quite happy at Anchorage in a remote location with our floating entertainment platform and approx 3,000 dvd's and blu-rays, and some 6Tb of iTunes thanks ! I don't think I've plugged an antenna into a TV in 10 years tho. So perhaps the term 'video screen' would be more appropriate !

If things pan out in the next 2 months, we are hoping to kit out our new-home afloat. And hopfully that home has the designation 'L 450 F' before it..

Don't recall a ban on TV's at sea anywhere in the SOLAS guide..
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 16:27   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If your going to do a lot of time near the US, you may want to consider a KVH Sat antenna to go with that 50' TV, they are high def now too
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote