Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 08:29   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Lagoon's anchor chain spec

Hi there,

I'm a new owner of a 2008 Lagoon 380 S2 and I'm currently buying all the stuff required for my to-do list for the next season.

The boat has the orginal Quick Hector windlass and a pile of rust that could have been a chain some years ago. I badly need a new chain...

Problem is there is two different types of 10mm galvanized chain available here: DIN 766 and ISO 4565, each with different link dimensions. The spacing between the links is either 28mm (DIN) or 30mm (ISO).

Of course my boat is far away in Sardinia so I can't check.
Does anyone of you know what type of chain has been used on Lagoons of the 2008 vintage? Or maybe someone with a Quick Hector on a 380 could check the gypsy?
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:22   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Lagoon's anchor chain spec

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Hi there,

I'm a new owner of a 2008 Lagoon 380 S2 and I'm currently buying all the stuff required for my to-do list for the next season.

The boat has the orginal Quick Hector windlass and a pile of rust that could have been a chain some years ago. I badly need a new chain...

Problem is there is two different types of 10mm galvanized chain available here: DIN 766 and ISO 4565, each with different link dimensions. The spacing between the links is either 28mm (DIN) or 30mm (ISO).

Of course my boat is far away in Sardinia so I can't check.
Does anyone of you know what type of chain has been used on Lagoons of the 2008 vintage? Or maybe someone with a Quick Hector on a 380 could check the gypsy?
The default gypsy in those windlasses is an "8mm-5/16"! that is supposed to work with 8mm DIN, 8mm ISO, 5/16" G4 and 5/16" BBB.

Quick also sells a "10mm - 3/8" gypsy that is supposed to work with 10mm ISO (30 mm pitch) and 3/8" G4 but not 10mm DIN.

If you have a photo of the inside of the gypsy´s "jaws" you will see an engraved label that tells you if it is one of these Quick gypsies or an aftermarket gypsy.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
The default gypsy in those windlasses is an "8mm-5/16"! that is supposed to work with 8mm DIN, 8mm ISO, 5/16" G4 and 5/16" BBB.

Quick also sells a "10mm - 3/8" gypsy that is supposed to work with 10mm ISO (30 mm pitch) and 3/8" G4 but not 10mm DIN.

If you have a photo of the inside of the gypsy´s "jaws" you will see an engraved label that tells you if it is one of these Quick gypsies or an aftermarket gypsy.
Thanks. The boat is far away and I can't check the gypsy but I am sure that its a 10mm chain. I am sure its how it came from the factoy and as you mention there is no Quick 10mm DIN gypsy so I supppose it must be ISO.
Old 05-02-2017, 13:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Hi Rabbi,
Congratulations on buying another Lagoon! I'm sure that you will get it "ship shape" double quick.

We have factory 10mm chain and a Quick winch, so I tried to measure it for you. I'm not sure what dimension is either 28 or 30mm. Our 10 mm chain has an overall link length of 49mm, if that helps?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:30   #5

Hi Tuskie,

thanks! I hope that three weeks of hard work will be enough to install all the new things that I am buying for the boat while at home.

Your measurement brings your chain right in the middle of DIN and ISO
On a perfect shaped chain it should be either 48 or 50mm, but I guess thats within manufacturing tolerances because that dimension is not standardized.

I am quite sure ours is an ISO chain, as I could not find any DIN gypsy for the Quick Hector windlass. I doubt that the PO has changed anything onboard so all everything is supposed to be factory standard equipment.

For general reference I have attached the details of DIN and ISO. In most chain sizes all measurements are the same, but 10mm has a different P1 measurement (pitch).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	din_iso.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	140784  

Tags
anchor, lagoon