Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2016, 22:16   #1

Lagoon owners

Good day to all lagoon owners, I have a few questions regarding lagoons.
I am considering purchasing one, a 400 or 440, but I have heard the 400 has major bulkhead issues and the 440 needs a gale to get it moving?. My intentions are to sail the Bahamas for a few years, then cross the Atlantic to spend a few years in the Mediterranean and back ,will a Lagoon last or are these boats just for marinas, thanks.
Hot Sausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 03:48   #2

Re: Lagoon owners

Definitely not just for marinas. Where does this rubbish originate? We live full time on our 400 and know many others; couples and familes living on Lagoon 380, 400, 420, 440 and 450 models. We know of many other cruisers living on other Lagoon models, many have crossed oceans on them.

Please read some of the threads in the Lagoon catamaran section. Pay particular attention to the posts from owners, rather than the know-alls and trolls. You will get an overview of Lagoon attributes, issues and fixes. Warts and all.

The L400 bulkhead / nacelle drainage issue is much discussed in this forum. It is an issue that prospective buyers should be aware of, but is not a deal breaker. Most 400s with rot in this area have or are being repaired, usually under warranty by Lagoon. Check that this issue has been fixed.

The L440 is another fine model offering huge space and payload. It sails well, as experienced owners will attest. Like all Lagoons, the standard working sails are modest, they offer reasonable performance in winds over 15 knots. Hardly a gale. In lighter winds, be prepared to invest in a gennaker, code zero, spinnaker or a combination of light weather sails for a bit more performance. In a real gale, you will find a 440 a safe and seaworthy vessel.

Don't get caught up in the "performance elitism" sprouted by some of the egos on this forum. We are currently cruising and doing so in the company of many other catamarans, of many designs, shapes and sizes. Most of the catamarans set up for living aboard do their passage planning with very similar average speeds; usually 6 knots. Some days we all get there early, some days not, some days we all get there together, some days certain boats get there a bit before. At anchor, we all do the same speed. When there is no wind, our slow heavy cruisers go just as fast as the "performance " cats. Probaby faster, in fact, as we have larger engines.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 04:54   #3

Don't feed the troll.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
John Holbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 04:56   #4

Boat: Lagoon 450
Lagoon owners

Hi Hot Sausage,

I am not sure if this is a wind up from a monohull yacht owner, however the simple truth is that every Lagoon owner loves their yacht. Every yacht has its issues however at anchor the Lagoons are equal to any for comfort. For passage making they are as fast as any other cruising yacht.

I leave an anchorage and sail the ocean and don't need to worry if any item is stowed. I anticipate about a 7kt average trip speed but have hit 23kts on our L450.

Comfortable yachts, safe and fast cruising.

DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 14:23   #5

Hot Sausage....go and search 'I Love My Lagoon' and post your question there. Seems you need some educating 😉😉
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 15:26   #6

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

Hi Mr Sausage
I started the "I Love My Lagoon" post 2 years ago and indeed I still love it.
This Thursday I leave for a 10 year sail around the world.
My family owned a sailing store in Toronto for years so I think I know a thing or two about getting my boat to the next anchorage.
No boat is perfect and if you want the perfect boat you will never leave your couch.
Hope you enjoy the search for your next boat, take you time , do your research , take everything with a grain of salt but mostly get something and come on out and play.
Hope to see you soon on the ocean .
Scottster
S/V MUSKOKA
Currently on Vancouver Island
Gone Thusrsday

Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:35   #7

Dear Mr Sausage
If you are indeed a genuine Sausage (not just a skin filled with unpalatable meat) may I respectfully suggest that you do the following in order to garner some credibility when posting. Then you may gain some useful information on the suitability of Lagoon or for that matter any other boat for your use to transport yourself and possibly some other small-goods.

Let us know whether to call you Hot or Mr Sausage or if you have a nickname you prefer. If not there is bunch of owners who happily suggest one.

Give us some idea where you are from, also any light you can shed on your previous yachting experience will help us mold our response to what on the surface seems to be a slightly provocative first post on this Lagoon section of the forum.

You started with "I have a few questions to ask", the only question you seem to have asked is "will a Lagoon last or are these boats just for marinas" so what are the other questions you wish to ask ? Then we may be able to enlighten you as to the suitability or otherwise of our chosen vessels for you purpose.

It is not my intention to grill you overly long as I am a fairly rare type of guy. Currently sitting in a marina aboard my Lagoon waiting for the wind to drop bellow 5 knots so I can motor to another marina, offers me time to waste on the inter-web.

Perhaps we may well be able to share a Bar-B-Que at some anchorage in the future.

The answers to your questions so far:

YES
NO

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 17:53   #8

Ah, so that which purports to be a sausage, may in fact be something else?
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 18:10   #9

Perhaps a disen-french-ised Euro Sausage.

https://youtu.be/YpipqJNFDOQ

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 02:49   #10

Hi, wow what a response, thank you, who knows one day we may cross paths, I come from a power boat community, deep sea chartering South Atlantic, I have since packed it in and now looking to sail in some sort of comfort, not being bashed around as if you were in a washing machine all day thus a cat and the Lagoons have caught my eye but not yet convinced, a mono hull is out of the question. The owner versions L400 from 2010 does interest me as its only the wife and I. It seems the place to buy these boats is in the Mediterranean is this correct?
Old 18-07-2016, 04:08   #11
TOT

Lagoon owners

Hello Hot Sausage
I have just sold my Lagoon 450 and it is with great sadness as the better half does not enjoy sailing (mainly in bad weather), l can say anything as l am off the water for a little while.

I paid a lot for my boat as l purchased her brand new, added everything l thought l would need and only left out a few items, the Lagoon 450 SURPASSED my expectations it is a sturdy, reliable and comfortable boat.

EVERY boat and every boat owner has an opinion and mine is very simple...

I look forward to buying my next Lagoon as they are a magnificent boat and l would not hesitate to buy another.

PS - When you buy any boat remember it is the agent you will have to deal with in relation to all and any issues, make sure the AGENT has a good reputation as they are the key.

Good luck in your search and hope you buy a Lagoon as they truly are a great boat.

PSS - The Lagoon 400S2 was my second choice but l loved the space of the L450.

SV TOT
Wayne 😃
Old 18-07-2016, 11:56   #12

Boat: Lagoon L400S2

One more comment that needs a comment.
My Lagoon is a great marina boat as well as a blue water boat.
95% of my next 10 years will be on the hook or at the dock so a great Marina boat is very important.
Cheers,

Scottster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 21:45   #13

Hi all just to clarify the name hot sausage, nothing personal, I used to barbie a lot on my boat.
Attached Images

Tags
lagoon