Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07   #31

Boat: Lagoon 380, 38', I Dream of Jeanne
Re: Lagoon Fetish - Part 2

The thru hulls on Lagoons are bronze not brass. My 380 is a 2002 with original thru - hulls, no problems yet. Regarding wiring, I know the owner of the 380 that burnt, we discussed it. No one knows exactly what happened, but after market wiring of "add-ons" is my suspicion. A big problem with any used boat! The fire started in the wiring chase on the port side that rises from the inside of the port hull, up to the bridge deck navigation table, then up to the electrical panels at the Nav table.

Pushing 700 Lagoon 380's in the water, one fire that I know of and it was a used boat, with lots of previous owner modifications and add on's. So any inference that Lagoons are manufactured with wiring problems is BS and unsupported. Owners (like myself) with an insatiable appetite for adding electrical stuff, with little knowledge on how to do it, tagging electrical extras onto existing circuits, are the problem. I am now trying to go back and untag electrical stuff, add additional electrical panels and do it right.

Obviously I'm bias, but the 380 is the perfect boat for my needs on the east coast of USA. One of the few cats that fits under the bridges on the east coast of the USA or less than a 65' mast height. Has all of the amenities of home, 3 staterooms, 2 head Owner's Version. After 6 years of ownership I can tell you, MORE HEADS IS NOT BETTER!! At least from an owners perspective.

When you're sailing single or short handed, bigger is NOT better. With most of the bigger cats, you're getting the same floor plan, but obviously a little bigger. Do you really need the extra room at the expensive of maintaining and handling it? If chartering, the answer is probably yes, the guest wants more, but if traveling in it with wife and child, my answer is - NOT.

However, I'm constrained by the IntraCoastal Waterway (ICW), on the east coast of the USA. The 380 can pop in and out of inlets up and down the east coast of the USA and in foul weather continue the journey inland up or down the ICW. There are only a hand full of other cats that can do that, in this size range (34' Gemini, R & C 40', Anteries 44' (way more expensive), etc.). Ask some of the owner's of larger cats that sit and wait for the weather to clear in the ocean, before heading out, when the 380 owners head on down the ICW making progress regardless of the weather.

Possibly if I lived aboard, I would be inclined to buy a bigger Lagoon. Probably so that I could carry all of that stuff that I rarely use. Kind of like the same reason I have a self storage unit and my stuffed full attic space. To keep crap that I don't need and never use.

Love my Lagoon, just wish that I had more time to use it! Although that time will come and it will be there anxiously waiting for me.

Tim
timbenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:33   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440

Well said Tim, so totally agree with your "add on's" comment as possible 'high risk' to any boat or for that matter car, house whatever, because human nature tends to want more of more, we are all guilty.

Any major manufacturer will opt for the best item at the cheapest price HOWEVER to suggest that brass skin fittings would be used by any MARINE company, that wishes to sell on the world market is simply dumb.

Glad you are so enjoying your 380, we see many of them here in Croatia they are a neat and very capable boat.... = NICE
Cheers Frank
Old 10-06-2012, 14:26   #33

Frank,

I see that you bought your boat from Staley at Cat Co. Me as well. He did a good job for me.

If you bought your boat in South Florida and are now in Croatia, you're surely getting your money's worth out of it. Wish I was following you!

Tim
Old 10-06-2012, 20:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
Frank,

I see that you bought your boat from Staley at Cat Co. Me as well. He did a good job for me.

If you bought your boat in South Florida and are now in Croatia, you're surely getting your money's worth out of it. Wish I was following you!

Tim
Tim we looked at 'Black Pearl' in Georgetown and never purchased her we then travelled to Croatia and purchased an incredibly unused boat here, we have only owned her for the last 6 weeks. We dealt with Peter Schmid from EYB Austria for this boat. Cheers Frank
Old 19-06-2012, 12:59   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Well said Tim, so totally agree with your "add on's" comment as possible 'high risk' to any boat or for that matter car, house whatever, because human nature tends to want more of more, we are all guilty.

Any major manufacturer will opt for the best item at the cheapest price HOWEVER to suggest that brass skin fittings would be used by any MARINE company, that wishes to sell on the world market is simply dumb.

Glad you are so enjoying your 380, we see many of them here in Croatia they are a neat and very capable boat.... = NICE
Cheers Frank
The two surveyors disagree with you earlier in the threads and say the Lagoons they surveyed had deteriorating brass skin fittings--and nobody has said Lagoons hve marine tinned wiring-they in fact have common twisted copper wire......so your just a cheerleader ---convincing yourself-ignoring facts,,,,LOL---
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 13:05   #36

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

I've heard many times about quality issues with Lagoon construction, and it is something that I know I'll have to plan for in my future ownership. I love the features, and the design, and they seem to be capable, seaworthy boats, but internally they have many quality issues including the wiring, laminated wood surfaces, poor to moderate quality fabrics, etc. I guess these fittings are just one more item on that list.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 13:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
The two surveyors disagree with you earlier in the threads and say the Lagoons they surveyed had deteriorating brass skin fittings--and nobody has said Lagoons hve marine tinned wiring-they in fact have common twisted copper wire......so your just a cheerleader ---convincing yourself-ignoring facts,,,,LOL---
George you really need to find an interest instead of re-gurgitating rubbish.
1) Lagoons that i've looked at DONT have tinned wiring.
2) I've yet to find a single skin fitting in the 6 or so boats i've looked at 3 of which had the skin fittings that were metal buffed with no sign of pitting.

Try scrabble or maybe Sukodu it may help your anxiety, i don't think it's helpful rabbiting on with the same silly stories.. ok

Enjoy your day. Cheers Frank
Old 19-06-2012, 13:53   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
George you really need to find an interest instead of re-gurgitating rubbish.
1) Lagoons that i've looked at DONT have tinned wiring.
2) I've yet to find a single skin fitting in the 6 or so boats i've looked at 3 of which had the skin fittings that were metal buffed with no sign of pitting.

Try scrabble or maybe Sukodu it may help your anxiety, i don't think it's helpful rabbiting on with the same silly stories.. ok

Enjoy your day. Cheers Frank
Funny you didnt mention the two Surveyors and true-they dont have the more expensive tinned wiring-they have the cheap stuff which also does not have heat rated insulation.........duh
Old 19-06-2012, 13:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I've heard many times about quality issues with Lagoon construction, and it is something that I know I'll have to plan for in my future ownership. I love the features, and the design, and they seem to be capable, seaworthy boats, but internally they have many quality issues including the wiring, laminated wood surfaces, poor to moderate quality fabrics, etc. I guess these fittings are just one more item on that list.
You might add sailcloth to your list and triple stitched cruising sails?? I doubt itLOL
Old 19-06-2012, 13:57   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
You might add sailcloth to your list and triple stitched cruising sails?? I doubt itLOL
If you want to know about sailcloth quality go to www.macksails.com they have a article on it there
Old 19-06-2012, 13:58   #41

George stop banging your head it isn't working nor helping...

I have no knowledge of what others see i can only report what i see and what i find.

Seriously mate you really need to get off the same dribble you are starting to get very boring......

Take care.
Old 19-06-2012, 14:02   #42

George,

I don't care what the surveyors say, my thru hulls are NOT brass. At least not the household plumbing brass that you buy at a Home Depot or Lowes home center store. They would corrode away in short order. However, it doesn't really matter, because at 10 years old, they're still going strong. Which is about what I would expect out of the life of any metal thru hull. I plan to replace them this year with the Marelon, so that corrosion won't be an issue in the future.

Regarding Lagoon construction, one of the Lagoon 380 owner's on the Lagoon Yahoo Owner's group hit a log recently at 7+ knots. Crushed the bow, but the waterproof bulkhead, located roughly a foot aft of the bow contained the flood in that 1 foot deep bow crash compartment. It would seem that they crash tested the boat (whether in real life or through engineering calculations), when they located this crash bulkhead, because it worked perfectly in a full speed crash. Wonder if all other cats are built with this bow crash bulkhead?
Old 19-06-2012, 14:39   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbenner View Post
George,

I don't care what the surveyors say, my thru hulls are NOT brass. At least not the household plumbing brass that you buy at a Home Depot or Lowes home center store. They would corrode away in short order. However, it doesn't really matter, because at 10 years old, they're still going strong. Which is about what I would expect out of the life of any metal thru hull. I plan to replace them this year with the Marelon, so that corrosion won't be an issue in the future.

Regarding Lagoon construction, one of the Lagoon 380 owner's on the Lagoon Yahoo Owner's group hit a log recently at 7+ knots. Crushed the bow, but the waterproof bulkhead, located roughly a foot aft of the bow contained the flood in that 1 foot deep bow crash compartment. It would seem that they crash tested the boat (whether in real life or through engineering calculations), when they located this crash bulkhead, because it worked perfectly in a full speed crash. Wonder if all other cats are built with this bow crash bulkhead?
Tim the guy's an antagonist he rears his head on different sites stirring up with the same unfounded stuff, he doesn't realise that as boats get older people change things and don't necessarily do the right thing.
In Australia i'm qualified under AMSA t construct any surveyable vessel in metal of any size with no further survey required from ANY surveyor, so yes i know what i'm looking at.
At any time in a boats life it can have inferior items added. The earliest Lagoon i looked at was in Georgetown on the slip it was a 2004 model, one of the first. It has crossed the Atlantic twice, my survey of that boat and also an American surveyors survey revealed no issue with wiring and no issue with skin fittings or cocks.
He will go back into his hidy hole for a while then when bored will crank up the same silly stuff, needs to go sailing methinks!!!
Me im sitting in a becalmed little bay listening to the noises of the village there are 2 mono's sharing the anchorage, it's a nice night...... Cheers Tim
Old 19-06-2012, 17:42   #44

Boat: Hunter 50 CC

Sometimes I'm reminded of an old saying: "Never wrestle with pigs. You both get covered in mud, and the pig enjoys it."

I'm not calling anyone in particular a pig, just saying that sometimes it's easier and more productive to just ignore them. And at least for me, it's better for my blood pressure.

And I really don't care if anyone else likes our new Lagoon 450.

Lucky Larry
Lucky Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 01:07   #45

Well spoken, Larry!

I guess it is time to quit dreaming about a Lagoon 450 and get back to work so I can buy one!

Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Larry View Post
Sometimes I'm reminded of an old saying: "Never wrestle with pigs. You both get covered in mud, and the pig enjoys it."

I'm not calling anyone in particular a pig, just saying that sometimes it's easier and more productive to just ignore them. And at least for me, it's better for my blood pressure.

And I really don't care if anyone else likes our new Lagoon 450.

Lucky Larry
dougdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon