Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 19:47   #31

Boat: Still doing research...
Re: Lagoon 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
How would you ever dock that thing singlehanded?
Here are two an example of both docking and undocking single handed.

Old 05-01-2013, 20:01   #32

Boat: PT-11
I was referring to getting down from that skybox of a cockpit to tie a line before the boat drifted away or smacked the dock. Those videos have been widely circulated and show how it can be done in perfectly calm conditions.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 00:46   #33

Thanks a lot Hammer
SVNeko and the 2 reverse situations:

Does not look so difficult when you know how to use a double throttle
Old 07-01-2013, 03:23   #34

You call that a breeze, LOL? And are you always going to have all the room in the world ahead and behind you? Again, we've all seen and had a good laugh at these videos. And even if they did represent real world conditions, Its still from a bulkhead helm. Have you ever done it, internet master? The question still stands.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:57   #35

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Does the look of the vertical widows and the flying bridge turn anyone else off?
The vertical windows are a Lagoon "thing" you either love em or hate em.

But I'm with you on the flybridge. IMO the only place that they belong is on flybridge power gamefishing vessels. I hate em with a passion on cats but that is just my beef as I know that a lot of people like them and this fad has really been driven by the charter boat industry.But I would not like to be skippering a cat up on a flybridge in a serious storm say 40 knots and above. I like a much lower centre of gravity.

No doubt though the L52 has a very nice fitout and is very luxurious & comfy inside. But the downside of this is how this intrudes into the bridgedeck clearance which would have a downside in any sort of a sea. Did you notice how "busy"the bridgedeck clearance is with bits sticking out everywhere in the video that has been posted?
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:17   #36

I think that what was posted above about single-handed docking is irrelevant for L52, as videos show L400, much smaller cat, no flybridge. I've never been on L52, but can you even see transoms from the flybridge?
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 15:32   #37

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooSailor View Post
I think that what was posted above about single-handed docking is irrelevant for L52, as videos show L400, much smaller cat, no flybridge. I've never been on L52, but can you even see transoms from the flybridge?
Agreed, visability of the dock is OK on the L400 shown in the videos but apparently visability of sterm from L440 or L52 helm is difficult or nonexistant.

As a result Frank, (Lagoon4us) is moving his engine controls from nav station to his aft cockpit, a good and practical solution.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 17:04   #38

Boat: Lagoon 440

Further to Downunders post, when we bought the boat it was generously fitted with all kinds of extras.

These include a 'Raymarine' reversing camera and a 'Swing-thruster' bow thruster, these items make docking quite easy BUT i don't like using the camera, it tends to focus your attention to a screen rather than the peripheral environment around you, HATE IT.

So i'm moving the interior helm to outside Port corner, this safely allows me to move the boat on my own or with ease two of us. We never sit inside motoring, once again it's too enclosed for me.

Upper helm spot, fair enough those that haven't used it see it as too high etc and this is argued ad nauseum. The thing to remember with boats is 'form follows function'. The function of this class of boat is "comfort" hence the form in some peoples eyes suffers.

As i've said before we have been in 50knots the mono's around us were laid over and pounding to windward motoring, we too were motoring with our two under 6 grandchildren (in life jackets) eating toasted sanga's (ham, cheese and onion from memory) my wife bought them too us she then went below to tidy the galley!

Simply put you gotta try one of these boats to "get it", one other point, to buy one of these for single handing is not really smart, why have 3 to 4 to 5 staterooms on your own? There are better choices for that use.

So cameras may be an easy solution at around $700 each connected into your plotter and a thruster gives the sideways ability BECAUSE the newer boats suffer windeage. Forget the 'tosser' comments regarding seamanship and lack of skills using thrusters, most ships have them it's YOUR responsibility to manoeuvre safely.

On a calm day all cat owners should have a go at berthing on one engine alone, very very hard and gets tougher with current or breeze. A thruster makes coping with a lost engine a snap. Most yachts in the Med have Thrusters.

Cheers Frank
Old 07-01-2013, 19:02   #39

Thanks for the response. Sounds reasonable but the rear view camera has no place on a yacht in my book.
Old 07-01-2013, 20:03   #40

Hence i'm moving the inside throttle/gear control along with Thruster to a pedestal on Port side quarter

Interestingly about 15 years ago i was building a 40 metre Stern Wheeled paddle wheeler, we had to mount 4 of them aft to prevent boats from being consumed in the paddle.

Regarding cameras also on 440's we come from Queensland on the Barrier Reef and by habit hang around coral reefs out of preference, i've mounted a 'Raymarine' camera at the first spreader looking forward and down, invaluable for conning in reef areas.

Cheers
Old 07-01-2013, 23:18   #41

Boat: Still doing research...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Hence i'm moving the inside throttle/gear control along with Thruster to a pedestal on Port side quarter
Make sure you show some pix when you've completed this relocation. I'd be keen to take a look.

I'll also seriously consider bow thrusters. It's all about making thing easier and ultimately safer for everyone involved.
Old 07-01-2013, 23:35   #42

That's the truth! I've started a thread with some of my changes on it but right now i'm back in Australia for xmas and i'm welding up my components now, i've taken progressive shots so anyone wanting to do similar will get the gist.

I'd rather have a boat how, in my opinion, a boat should be, in this instance i want my wife to confidently helm the cat into a berth whilst i throw ropes.

You'll see the thread as it moves on or simply check my profile for it, make a comment and you'll get updates. Cheers
Old 19-02-2013, 07:49   #43

Did anyone get a chance to sail on the new 52 while it was in Miami? If so how did she handle?
chasemoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 23:17   #44

I have been unable to find any information on Lagoon's website about an electric propulsion option for the 52. Does anyone have any information?
Old 19-02-2013, 23:20   #45

Surely they are not doing a HYBRID again?

Tags
lagoon