Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-11-2012, 07:19   #16

Re: Lagoon 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I didn't quite get why is the mast is so aft.. They are talking about many advantages of doing so but there is one negative that they don't talk about; the center of action of the sail and the center of gravity of the boat is way up. The first may be good for picking up more wind but the second is very dangereous particularly in heavy weathers. The second thing I didn't like is the bridge which is very low and narrow. The very highy boom is a Lagoon standard anymore, they won't give up, useless to comment..
The strongest point of Lagoon, internal architecture and the use of space is gorgeous.. Let's see what the answer of FP will be..

Yeloya

I love the new 52! i think the flybridge looks great and very functional. I don't usually sit much when I'm trimming or manoeuvring the boat anyways as i'm short and need to stand in order to see. So the back rest wont be an issue for me. As for the decision to locate the mast further to aft is for speed and performance advantages they learned from racing. It says in the brochure

" Centring the mast in this way creates a large forward triangle (a promise for great performance), whilst affording all the simplicity of a self-tacking jib.
The large forward triangle also means it is possible to use a respectably-sized Code 0 for light wind conditions.
A “VMG” option allows to “divide” headsail surface areas with a moveable self-tacking staysail and an overlapping genoa.
The shorter boom makes the mainsail much easier to manoeuvre.
The mainsail, which is relatively narrower and higher, benefits from better winds at the top, thus enhancing performance: extending the sail centre really improves performance,
The forestay and shrouds are at much wider angles to the mast, thereby substantially reducing compression: this choice allows to reduce sample weight, thus increasing stability and speed.
By re-centring the weight in this way, pitching is considerably reduced.

I can see the logic..... can't wait to test it out for my self!! i think lagoon hit this one out of the park!

Old 13-11-2012, 07:38   #17

SeaMonkey1, Lagoon is building cats for decades and this includes the hyper tri's that they made for the movie "Water World". They already know how to make fast cats and if not, they have the biggest resources to do so in the cat industry. However, the mast divides the feeling of space in the saloon and I have to agree with Yeloya's concerns. Just my humble opinion of course...

Old 13-11-2012, 08:42   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
SeaMonkey1, Lagoon is building cats for decades and this includes the hyper tri's that they made for the movie "Water World". They already know how to make fast cats and if not, they have the biggest resources to do so in the cat industry. However, the mast divides the feeling of space in the saloon and I have to agree with Yeloya's concerns. Just my humble opinion of course...
I know lagoon has experience with fast cats. But like any manufacture they are always improving previous designs. The new position of the mast is the latest improvement on an already great performer. Still have to disagree, the new design screams better performance with minimal drawback. I really like the new 52 and can't wait to sail it.
Old 15-11-2012, 05:46   #19

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
I didn't quite get why is the mast is so aft.. They are talking about many advantages of doing so but there is one negative that they don't talk about; the center of action of the sail and the center of gravity of the boat is way up. The first may be good for picking up more wind but the second is very dangereous particularly in heavy weathers. The second thing I didn't like is the bridge which is very low and narrow. The very highy boom is a Lagoon standard anymore, they won't give up, useless to comment..
The strongest point of Lagoon, internal architecture and the use of space is gorgeous.. Let's see what the answer of FP will be..

Yeloya
Agree on the mast. It makes one wonder how they are transferring mast compression to the hulls without the luxury of a large bulkhead. It leads one to think about a metal structure which brings a whole set of issues to deal with.
Old 15-11-2012, 05:59   #20

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Looks like the Lagoon 52 is using the saloon bridge deck for mast compression.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mast compression.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	49740  
Old 15-11-2012, 06:13   #21

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Looks like the Lagoon 52 is using the saloon bridge deck for mast compression.
Understood, but what's under the bridge deck? On traditional designs, there is a major bulkhead (~3' tall/full bridge deck height) forward of the salon. I would think anything less is going to flex (at the wrong time), or they are using a metal structure which brings a whole set of other issues (corrosion, different flex characteristics compared to BD structure, etc.).
Old 24-11-2012, 07:17   #22

Boat: Still doing research...

I like it. I can't wait to take a closer look for myself. Might just be the boat for me. I was almost but decided on the 450, but the 52 has somewhat changed that decision. I need to compare before deciding.

And if moving the mast aft makes it easier to handle and improve performance, then I'm all for it. I usually sail, short handed most of the time, so this just make life easier for a cruiser sailor like me.
Old 24-11-2012, 12:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
I like it. I can't wait to take a closer look for myself. Might just be the boat for me. I was almost but decided on the 450, but the 52 has somewhat changed that decision. I need to compare before deciding.

And if moving the mast aft makes it easier to handle and improve performance, then I'm all for it. I usually sail, short handed most of the time, so this just make life easier for a cruiser sailor like me.
I also spend a lot of time solo sailing. My wife and kids are almost always on board but because my kids are young often my wife isn't able to help. I don't know if it will be any easier then the 450 to solo sail. The position of the winches in front of the wheel will require a remote for the autopilot so one person can tack while controlling the sheets. Easy solution for a solo sailor. I've gotten accustom to partially furling the jib, tacking and unfurling the jib alone but skipping that one step with a self tacking jib would be GREAT! What really speaks to me is the bridge layout. The helm centered like that is reminiscent of the old tall ships.

I don't know if you noticed but lagoon updated their website with another new boat. The Lagoon 39. It I assume will replace the 380 and like the 52 the mast is positioned further aft. To me this says in the next year or two the whole line from 380-620 will have the new design. So if you like the 450 size but the mast further aft is what your looking for it may be around the corner.

So far for me the only issue I see in the 52 is it looks like the generator will be in the aft cockpit rather then the forward. If you recall the 500 has a large forward compartment with the genny and electrical systems that you could access through a large hatch. The 52 has a small hatch in that area that's the same size as the bow lockers. Don't see anyway of having the genny in that small hatch. It's not a deal breaker for me. I just prefer the storage in the aft cockpit be for day to day stores like food not the generator.
Old 11-12-2012, 18:21   #24

In the Lagoon 39 thread, there were many attendees who took photos of the L39.

Just wondering if anyone who attended the show can confirm is the Lagoon 52 was also there and if any took photos.

Would love to hear your first hand opinions.
Old 17-12-2012, 14:01   #25

L52 not there, just a model of it
Old 03-01-2013, 10:48   #26

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

The Lagoon 52 to be tested by “the boss” | Lagoon Inside

more film
Old 05-01-2013, 16:26   #27

Awesome! Thanks for sharing,
Old 05-01-2013, 16:32   #28

Boat: Lagoon 440

A mate in Croatia has ordered one it will be available in August maybe because he has ordered a 3 cabin version, he sold his 440 last month to a Forum member.

He is excited by all things about it other than the price.
Old 05-01-2013, 16:54   #29

You're not wrong about the price. I've been looking into them and a new L52 is about AUD$400k more than a similarly spec'd L450 in Australia.

That's a price of a used L380 here. Not sure if I can justify the extra cost. I'm also wondering if Lagoon will release a new 450 (or a size thereabouts) with the same mast setup (moved aft). As I like that setup.

Should I wait some more of bite the bullet and get one now. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Old 05-01-2013, 18:12   #30

Boat: Switch 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMonkey1 View Post
I also spend a lot of time solo sailing.
How would you ever dock that thing singlehanded?

Tags
lagoon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: