Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2014, 08:14   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Lagoon 450 Owners Only!

We are on the cusp of signing an agreement to buy a new 450. I don't need support on the pluses and minuses of the flybridge helm as I have spent too much time while I wish I was sleeping mulling this over. After all, I have never heard of a 440 or 450 owner who regretted the FB helm. However, we had felt that the FP Helia was an equivalent choice, perhaps the performance is better, but the comfort isn't as good. I'm hoping any of you 450 owners would respond with anything you feel might help us feel confident about purchasing a 450. Also, any tips on what options to avoid or choose.
TouchOfGrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 10:40   #2

Re: Lagoon 450 Owners Only!

Bought mine last year to do a trade winds circumnavigation, leaving UK in August. Key factor was that having read lots of blogs, something like 90% of time is spent at anchor rather than sailing; so comfort/space was the decider for me.

I've got a list of options/gear on board at Gear | Ripples II and am still adding stuff in my final preps. I'm delighted with it.
simonc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 05:32   #3
TOT

Lagoon 450 Owners Only!

We have had ours for only 4 months now and only sailed in Singapore and Malaysian waters but she is a great boat (Lagoon 450) more space than the two of us need but l would prefer it that way.

We added an additional freezer for long distance cruising and l am glad l did, we also added all electric winches and again glad l did for the bodies sake...

I did not add the TV option as l felt the price was crazy for the price and you cannot even move it, maybe l would re-think that as it is wired into your stereo system...

I would buy another Lagoon 450 tomorrow, very impressed with the simplicity and the way the boat handles.
Old 21-06-2014, 13:28   #4

Options to avoid or chose is really dependent on what your intentions are with the boat and what you want to add your self after purchase. You will not regret choosing a L450 and I doubt you would ever regret that you added the all electric winch option. If you want to add a pile of solar and Inverter after purchase then I would not be getting the extra battery charger etc as the inverter will most likely have a bigger charger in it any way. The TV option comes with its own inverter to run it so that will be redundant as well, so own TV is a better option. Currently I am fitting 3 kW inverter / charger with just under 2 kW of solar, so I will be removing the 60 and 40 amp 240 volt chargers, and the TV inverter. Water maker if you require , I am having a 160 lt/hour installed without the removal of the 4th water tank for less than the 100 l/hr Lagoon option. Remote control for windlass at helm is a good addition also worthwhile the remote VHF Handset at the Helm position. I would opt for a larger anchor than standard eg 40 kg in lieu of 25 kg supplied, unless you are going to spend a lot of the time in a marina or on a mooring. If an owner’s version, I would consider the Storage in lieu of sofa in Owners cabin as I think this would be a more useful setup. Whatever you end up buying just enjoy it, we all are here for a good time, but not a long time.
On another subject I have just purchased a Life Raft and would be interested to know how other L450 owners have secured the raft to the Transom Platform. It needs to be attached so as not to be dislodged or moved by a following wave, but easily deployed from the deck presumable if doing so in less than ideal conditions.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2014, 16:26   #5

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

+1 on what PaulOz writes
This is what we did.
Options from Lagoon:
- cruiser package or whatever it is called including
- electric winches.
- plotter up and down
- both fridges
- anchor remote
- gennaker
- spinnaker gear

Not ordered.
- generator, can be all done by solar and we use a LOT of power on our boat
- air con, only need it if you are a marina guy. At anchor there is always enough wind and it is a lot cooler out there. We are only in marinas when we need repairs done

Our own options
40kg Rocna, 25 Delta is way too small and tends to plough the anchorages.o
- portable Dometic 100L freezer.
- counter top ice maker, costs about $150
- domestic washing machine LG
- spectra water maker under port fwd cabin bed. Keeps all water tanks
- 3kW inverter, adding 2nd 3kW this fall
- replaced lead batts with 1400Ah LiFePo
- installed Vesper AIS 8000 with display at nav station inside
- kept the original chargers but disconnected from boat power. Just run extension cord to it when in different voltage marina. You can plug in anywhere in the world as they are 100-250V 40-70 Hz. We can run everything we need from our inverters, so only need to charge the batts when in a marina.

- also ICOM VHF radio as it interfaces with Vesper which lets you make DSC call directly to AIS target without entering number
- two I70 instruments and second P70 autopilot control head at nav station inside for night and bad weather watches
- VHF remote at fly bridge
- more solid spinnaker mast strong point
- extra,spinnaker halyard with rope clutch next to main halyard
- 3rd reef luff line led to the cleat at main halyard rope clutch. I don't want to have to climb the mast to put the reef hook in with 3m waves on the nose
- made our own full bridge-width bimini.

One thing I changed now on 3 L450s - the main dousing line is rigged from the main head board coming down beside the cars.
In a strong aft wind the line can wrap around the radar or any of the shroud strongpoints at the mast and you can not lower the main. The dousing line needs to be fed THROUGH the slots in the batten car attachments and the block at the foot of the mast located directly under the main track. No more tangle problems and climbing the mast to free the dousing line.

- NOT solar can be done better and much cheaper yourself. We installed 1800W for about $3000 including 2Outbacks and all support structure and cabling.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 07:05   #6

I have a lagoon 440 2010 model, and want to install solar panels. I need some design drawings or pics of the installation, if any body can help.
The next thing I need to do is to inclose my cockpit area, but again need dimestions and pics.
Can you order this from lagoon?
Morne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2014, 10:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morne View Post
I have a lagoon 440 2010 model, and want to install solar panels. I need some design drawings or pics of the installation, if any body can help.
The next thing I need to do is to inclose my cockpit area, but again need dimestions and pics.
Can you order this from lagoon?
I can only talk about the 450, but think that many things will be similar. I have marked up a picture of the 440 with the basics of the design similar to what I have done of three 450s.
Click image for larger version

Name:	m_91AU8632-b.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	85261
Click image for larger version

Name:	71LEE7s93xL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	551
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	85262

Name:   fvUG-v8A.B.jpg
Views: 3545
Size:  4.9 KB

For the enclosure get a SailRite sewing machine and the material and do it yourself. You will safe the cost of the machine 3 times over on that project alone. A little reading up on the internet and watching the SailRite videos and you are good to go on this project. You will find yourself doing all kinds of jobs with it on the boat, such as sun shades for the fly bridge and trampoline when at anchor.
Old 10-08-2014, 14:53   #8

After 230 views on the other thread not a suggestion or picture of how to attach the life raft, plan B will be deck mount in a cradle out of the way but somewhere that is accessible if required.

On another note what is the secret compartment about in the owners cabin next to the Electrical cabinet near the roof, I found it by accident trying to run some cable up to the aft cockpit. Is this something for valuables storage or what?

Something else I noticed recently was that with the 3 fridge installation on the L450 is all three are switched on by the one switch, fridge 1 in salon directly controlled from switch and fuse, fridge two and three in the galley and cockpit are separately fused but operated by relays controlled by the fuse and switch for fridge 1.
So if fridge one is turned off or has a problem and blows it's fuse you lose the other two as well, not a good situation so now all three fridges plus my new freezer have their own separate fuse and on/off switch.

And while on electricity and fuses, each battery (I have 6 x 120 amp Gel option) has a 300 amp fuse on the battery terminal to protect it. The way it is wired if the fuse blows on the first battery in the parallel run it will disconnect all rest from the circuit, instead of just disconnecting the one battery does this sound correct ?

Have the solar and inverter all wired up and running so far very happy batteries will drop overnight to 93% SOC (three fridges and lights on) and by 10:30 each morning back up to 100% even with the boom shadow moving across the panels, boat currently moored pointing North and it's winter down here. I am playing with the Inverter running the hot water system, draws just over a 100 amps so as to be able to use it as a dump load for the solar once batteries up to 100% SOC.
PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 02:26   #9

We have secured out life raft on the Lagoon provided support frame at the transom below deck. I order our life raft (Ocean Safety ISO) with a s/s deck frame. I have secured LR to the deck frame (comes with its own attachments) and then this frame to the under deck support frame with double u-bolts. The painter and LR release rope is fed back to the deck. I added two securing ropes to each side of the Lagoon support frame, back to the deck, to take up some of the cantelever loading as I felt it wasn't secure enough. Photo attached.

Steve
S/V Emerald Sea
L450
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 13:26   #10

The "secret" cabinet is used for the Air conditioning outlet when installed.

Rolf
Old 12-08-2014, 17:55   #11

So so much talk about everything regarding the 450 except sailing performance. I am very interested in this boat, having charted it several times. I am a life long monohull boat owner but feel ready for the switch. From pure comfort and usability this boat is incredible. Also obviously a fan of the FB. Now in the Carib its always blowing 20kts so I find the boat fast (obvious limitations to windward notwstanding). But here in Long Island Sound, wind speed is obviously less. I have read several discussions about the 450 being purposely underpowered (like all charter boats now so that the bareboater dont hurt themselves). My question is two fold: first with real sails and gennaker can this boat move in 8kts true? How anyone considered or made changes/modifications to improve performance. Larger sail plan? Carbon mast/boom? Also why is that none of this boat other than Catana think about dagerboards/centerboards to help to windward? While I do plan on cruising we will not be living aboard and half of our trips are day sails for a few hours. The boat is easy to single hand and handle but will see move if the breeze is less than 10?? Thoughts on anything related to performance...
Windward2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 18:22   #12

The 450 definitely goes faster than my Bavaria Vision 40. With a gennaker a little off the wind it does true wind speed.

Rolf
Old 12-08-2014, 23:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
The "secret" cabinet is used for the Air conditioning outlet when installed.

Rolf
Not so secret !

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 20:05   #14

Boat: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOT View Post
We added an additional freezer for long distance cruising and l am glad l did, we also added all electric winches and again glad l did for the bodies sake...
Where did you put the extra freezer? Can you post some pictures?
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:36   #15

Boat: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
+1 on what PaulOz writes

Our own options

- 3kW inverter, adding 2nd 3kW this fall
- replaced lead batts with 1400Ah LiFePo
- kept the original chargers but disconnected from boat power. Just run extension cord to it when in different voltage marina. You can plug in anywhere in the world as they are 100-250V 40-70 Hz. We can run everything we need from our inverters, so only need to charge the batts when in a marina.
What was the weight savings on the lithium batteries?

Your solar panels and batteries seem well matched to me. The nice thing about Lithium is you get to use all of that capacity instead of just part of it. I would worry about fires though.

Photovoltaic's and wind generators can produce way more power than are needed on a catamaran with all those mounting locations. This is the #1 selling point for me along with having a nice place to store a dinghy.

So then we can consider what do do with that excess power. Dumping it into a hot water heater makes sense. It that your plan?

I am not sure I understand why you need two 3000W inverters, though. I could understand having two sizes so you could run lighter loads with a smaller more efficient inverter. Were you planning on dumping the excess power into heating two hot water tanks? Or is this for redundancy.

I have yet to see a solar hot water heater on a boat, but it would be high on my list. How hard would it be to plumb that in? I have solar hot water on my house and it works amazingly well.

Speaking of redundancy, I like the idea of two independent auto-pilots, and a tiller arm on each rudder head.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon