Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2012, 08:27   #46

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built
Re: Lagoon 450 Modifications

I have seen the large rectangle bimini's vs the small sqaure ones; must be an option. I've also seen on L440's a few custom hard tops in which they can add an isenglass enclosure and install solar panels on top. Also provides a place to stand to access the sail bag. Has anyone seen an L450 with a hard top like this? Seems to make a lot of sense and takes away the many of the objections that go along with the high boom. Also the large rectangle ones may just be large enough to cover the stairway so the rain won't come into the cockpit. Your thoughts?
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 09:32   #47

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: Lagoon 450 Modifications - Hot Water or lack of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromNZ View Post
We have had our Lagoon 450 for a couple of months and I am very, very impressed. However the lack of hot water needs to be addressed. At 8 litres/min flow a full hot tank ran out on full hot tap at 6 mins, so should give 10 minutes of showers. However after a night where the tank was full hot, in the morning only one 3 minute shower!!! [so the crew had to remain smelly]

The hot water tank is 60 litres

Thanks, Dave
We have 22liter hot W, and we 4 do get the time in the shower ,. no problem,
But we dont let it run al the time, get wet, sop in, rinse off.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 01:33   #48

Boat: Lagoon 450

Hi Bryguy67,

We have the larger bimini. I think it is fantastic. Here is a list of pro's and con's:

Pros
- Great shade, great rain shelter - usually can find a spot out of the rain even when blowing.
- With the front clear up (covers middle third) almost calm behind it when motoring up wind. I have done this in 30kts apparent. However we roll up the clear when on the berth and if you forget it then it is too hard to attach in more than 10kts wind apparent.
- Structure is strong so I find myself using it for a good handhold all around the edges and in the flybridge standing up holding on to the cross bars.
- so far sailed with the cover on in 42kts wind with no problem. The cover would easily unclip if you wanted to take it off.

Cons
- If you have the Incidence Stack Pack you cannot reach the second to aft clips. We had it modified by Doyles and is OK now (PS don't buy the Incidence Stack Pack, quality is rubbish and they won't fix anything)
- The steps to the flybridge covers need to be modified to fit around the bimini poles that attach just at the stairs.
- Yes does make it harder to see what the main sail is doing and the clear panels in the roof only give a limited view. I find myself standing in the stairs holding on to the bimini to look at the sail trim.
- No, it won't cover rain from going down the steps.

Overall love the bimini! Definitely a must have!
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2758.jpg
Views:	1729
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	50156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2759.jpg
Views:	1335
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	50157  

DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2012, 01:37   #49

Hi Careka,

OK, I got a bit carried away and fitted a 75ltr dual coil calorifier that uses the Eberspacher diesel heater to circulate hot fluid through the coils. Seems to work well, even with my exorbitantly long showers

Cheers
Dave
Old 24-11-2012, 08:05   #50

Boat: Still doing research...

Hey Dave

From your last photos, I noticed the "For Sale" sign on your 450. Is it for sale?
Old 24-11-2012, 12:51   #51

At the time of the picture shares were available however now myself and another guy own half each. Dave
Old 26-11-2012, 06:11   #52

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

Dave,

Thanks for the info and pics. Do you think a custom hard top would be a good idea? I see it this way:
PROS: All of the Pro's in your statement plus a place to put solar panels and ability to stand on it to access sail.
CONS: Windage-can't take it down in super high winds.

Bryan
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 01:56   #53

Hi Bryan,

Ummm, just an opinion/thoughts for what they are worth on a fixed hard cover;

Certainly I feel the larger cover is really great and a strong hard cover would be good for access to the main and to place solar panels. I have read and think probably right that solar panels on the davits affect adversely the view out the back when moored in a bay. I suppose though that with solar panels and a hard cover then more viability to the main sail would be lost?

I have no idea as to what affect the hard cover will have on stability in a very strong wind. My gut feeling is that the risk/reward would make this worthwhile?

Cheers
Dave
Old 27-11-2012, 06:41   #54

Hi Dave

I'm keen to get your thoughts regarding the location of the helm of the L450 in the flybridge.

Do you have a sense of separation from your guest when they're in the cockpit area? I know the L450 has hatches you can open to improve ventilation and I guess communication with guest, but is it enough?

How about overnight passages? What is it like being in the flybridge when on night watch?

Another query is the visibility from the helm to the rear (transom)? Particularly when reversing into a marina berth.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Old 27-11-2012, 10:53   #55

Hi Hammer,

As others have said, the fly bridge is a cool place to be and you find people gravitate there, and especially when anchored. The view is great and it is good to have the operation, ropes, etc, separate from the living area. Yes it does feel separated socially. The yacht sails itself nicely so I often head back to the nice warm and dry saloon. I feel safely in control as the viz is fairly much 360 degrees with the big windows. The joystick helm works ok if needed.

I have only done one overnight. I think the same as any night watch?

I open the big hatch and can see the port stern from the fly bridge. With the twin engines very easy to manoeuvre. Using a fender at the bow I can power the stern away from a jetty with 15 kts blowing on.

Fairly much all my friends describe the L450 as an apartment on water - which believe me is a good thing as you have space! But it is fun to sail and sails well. Treble reefed in 42 kts wind it stuck to the ocean like glue and still doing 8 to 10 kts.
Old 27-11-2012, 22:44   #56

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Hi Dave

Another query is the visibility from the helm to the rear (transom)? Particularly when reversing into a marina berth.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
Lagoon4us's idea/concept of moving the dual throttles located in the saloon to a bracket in the cockpit makes a lot of sense for berthing.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 04:30   #57

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. Just making sure I got all bases covered with people already experiencing the boat.

The L450 is still my first choice at this point, though from time to time others bring points to the table that weren't previously considered, but worthy of following up before making the final decision, that is to purchase the yacht itself.
Old 18-01-2013, 17:11   #58

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Larger Bimini

Our large bimini is just great. We have received many positive comments, even from Lagoon dealers.
As nobody wanted to build it for me, I had to do it myself. I bought a pipe crowner (bender) and bent the pipes and sewed all the fabric and vinyl with our Sailrite sewing machine.

This bimini folds down, so in a big storm you can reduce windage. We had it up in over 40 knots of wind with no problem. It makes a great hand hold when it gets rough. We had up to 5 m (15 foot) waves and over to 40 knots crossing the Atlantic. The overhead central pipe is great getting from side to side in these conditions.

Except for the front vertical supports, I had to drill no holes. The main bars are attached to the handle bars on the side of the cockpit roof. The aft vertical bars are attached to the back rest post of the seat. The front bars use a fitting that is screwed into the cockpit roof next to the sun bathe cushions.

I use several straps to tension the fabric and give it some more sideways support. All of these are attached to handle bars or back rest posts with no extra holes.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 17:44   #59

Boat: Amel 50
Re: Larger Bimini

The larger bimini sounds great! Would it be possible to post some pics?

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
Our large bimini is just great. We have received many positive comments, even from Lagoon dealers.
As nobody wanted to build it for me, I had to do it myself. I bought a pipe crowner (bender) and bent the pipes and sewed all the fabric and vinyl with our Sailrite sewing machine.

This bimini folds down, so in a big storm you can reduce windage. We had it up in over 40 knots of wind with no problem. It makes a great hand hold when it gets rough. We had up to 5 m (15 foot) waves and over to 40 knots crossing the Atlantic. The overhead central pipe is great getting from side to side in these conditions.

Except for the front vertical supports, I had to drill no holes. The main bars are attached to the handle bars on the side of the cockpit roof. The aft vertical bars are attached to the back rest post of the seat. The front bars use a fitting that is screwed into the cockpit roof next to the sun bathe cushions.

I use several straps to tension the fabric and give it some more sideways support. All of these are attached to handle bars or back rest posts with no extra holes.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2013, 18:53   #60

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40
Re: Larger Bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
The larger bimini sounds great! Would it be possible to post some pics?

Thank you.
I tried attaching pictures, but the slow wifi here in USVI ate them. I try again with this post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bimini0.jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	53094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimini1.jpg
Views:	999
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	53095  

Name:	Bimini2.jpg