Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-10-2010, 18:30   #31

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
FLYBRIDGE

[QUOTE=JustThinking;526539]....could somebody please educate me on the benefits of a "Flybridge" on a Cat?

I must admit, that after owning a cat with a flybridge, there is NO going back again. The vision from up there is absolutely amazing and I find when friends are aboard - EVERYONE ends up sitting on the flybridge (Lots of space). What is really special is watching dolphins from up there. Try it some time - it has amazed my pals who have cats without a flybridge.

Old 19-10-2010, 12:48   #32

Boat: Lagoon 450 2016
Send a message via Yahoo to zazie
I was at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show and went for a test sail on the Lagoon 450...
Great boat and great improvements!
Love the designed interior and the head room. Love the cockpit layout with a much higher bimini and easy access to the flyBridge from either side. It is much roomier than the 440.
Love the flybridge seating area which can easily fit 6 people!
A lot of space all over the boat...we were about 15 and it only felt like 3 or 4 were at any one time together.
Just a beautiful boat well done Lagoon!

Old 20-10-2010, 16:34   #33

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
I must admit, that after owning a cat with a flybridge, there is NO going back again. The vision from up there is absolutely amazing and I find when friends are aboard - EVERYONE ends up sitting on the flybridge (Lots of space). What is really special is watching dolphins from up there. Try it some time - it has amazed my pals who have cats without a flybridge.
I think I'm jealous! Not so much over the flybridge, but being able to pick the weather windows such that a flybridge is a decent ride. I can't imagine being up there in crappy weather, which seems to be the majority of the passages we do.

Given the weather we encounter, I like my helm down close to the rest of the crew and little more protected.
Old 20-10-2010, 17:22   #34

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I think I'm jealous! Not so much over the flybridge, but being able to pick the weather windows such that a flybridge is a decent ride. I can't imagine being up there in crappy weather, which seems to be the majority of the passages we do.

Given the weather we encounter, I like my helm down close to the rest of the crew and little more protected.
+1 The flybridge looks like great fun for an afternoon in the tropic breezes but.... I suspect that it's a lonely spot on passage. Far from the galley, the coffeepot, a heater, and the off watch having fun and good conversation. A week in the BVI's on vacation? no prob! Anything more.... not for me.

Oh, and access to the boom and sail cover is hazardous at best, inconvenient and probably quite enough of a pain to make motoring the easy choice all too often.
Old 21-10-2010, 08:16   #35

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Do you get a ladder as standard to get to the stacked sail. I have no idea how you flake the mainsail away and close the stackpack, imagine trying to re-thread a reefing line in a blow! I reckon it could be close to lifethreatening.
Old 21-10-2010, 09:17   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchesley View Post
+1 The flybridge looks like great fun for an afternoon in the tropic breezes but.... I suspect that it's a lonely spot on passage. Far from the galley, the coffeepot, a heater, and the off watch having fun and good conversation. A week in the BVI's on vacation? no prob! Anything more.... not for me.

Oh, and access to the boom and sail cover is hazardous at best, inconvenient and probably quite enough of a pain to make motoring the easy choice all too often.
The fly bridge isnt the only helm station in the vessel - I have a remote control steering device that works very well and often end up steering from below. When we were off Cape Point in 47 KNTS of wind with heavy rollers that were breaking, I steered the vessel from inside - the Cape has serious waters so it was a very good test.
I did get a strange feeling using the remote control (slight delays), and although it responded well at 18Knts down the waves, I was nervous about not having 'that feeling of the helm in my hand' so to speak.
As a result I am in discussion with my agents to install an emergency wheel at the door enterance on stbd side. The cable and chain sit perfectly in the centre of this compartment and I feel that a second helm can be very easily installed there - a quick fit / remove wheel for when the seas are breaking.
However - this is purely because I like to 'feel' the wheel in my hands in those conditions.
TRUST ME - the flybridge is FANTASTIC and there is always the auto pilot together with remote indoor helm - infact the remote can go with you where ever you wish on the vessel, and it has a display with all wind settings, speed, ais etc. (mine is all coupled through my integrated raymarine sea talk system) - For those who really suffer from lonliness --- take the remote to bed with you, switch on the cameras and watch your boat on TV. You steer your vessel from there but be aware of distractions
Old 21-10-2010, 09:35   #37

Oh, and access to the boom and sail cover is hazardous at best, inconvenient and probably quite enough of a pain to make motoring the easy choice all too often.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I will agree that there should be a better plan in place for this. We had our sail cover made in South Africa to be the zippable type (came standard with a wide open V). We sail with the bag open, hoist on the winch and lower using the downhaul line which pulles the sail into the cover (all from the cockpit). Its really NO problem when everything goes the way it should, BUT ... if one needs to get up there to untangle or sort out a snag .... thats when it is inconvenient and infact dangerous. We have a line rigged to the zipper which allows us to open and close the bag with more ease and I lower the topping lift which gives me much easier access from mid to aft boom and one does learn to work with it. We dont let that reduce our time in sailing and CERTAINLY wont be the reason to rather motor than sail ..... but agreed ..... Lagoon needs to look at this.
Old 21-10-2010, 13:52   #38

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Hi Impi

In looking at the pictures, the 440 boom is fairly high, but much lower that the 450, you can at least get to it. In the pics the 450's boom looks a lot higher. Is that your impression if you compare yours to the 450?

We are possibly sailing down to Dassen Island next weekend, not sure if you are keen to sail down?
Old 21-10-2010, 21:57   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
Hi Impi

In looking at the pictures, the 440 boom is fairly high, but much lower that the 450, you can at least get to it. In the pics the 450's boom looks a lot higher. Is that your impression if you compare yours to the 450?

We are possibly sailing down to Dassen Island next weekend, not sure if you are keen to sail down?
i'm 6 feet tall and tried to reach the top of the boom at the show 450 in annapolis. on tiptoes, my fingertips reached the top. we really liked everything else about it, but this feels like a deal breaker to me.
Old 23-10-2010, 07:26   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel&andie View Post
we really liked everything else about it, but this feels like a deal breaker to me.
Please explain. Folding the sails seems to be a minor issue, easily dealt with (2-3 steps in the mast, possibly bringing up a stool).
Old 23-10-2010, 07:40   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrack View Post
Hi Impi

.... We are thinking of next weekend for Dassen .... you there?
Old 23-10-2010, 07:47   #42

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
Please explain. Folding the sails seems to be a minor issue, easily dealt with (2-3 steps in the mast, possibly bringing up a stool).
And for the leach?

Unless you have a mast or boom furled main, you have to have access to the complete length of the boom to zip/unzip the sail bag and flake the sail when stowing.
Old 23-10-2010, 08:02   #43

Cant you do what we did on the 440 - we have a long line in the zip which allows us to pull the zip from front or rear to zip and unzip?
Bring the sail down - sail automatically folds away and there is a down haul line to pull in the head of the sail.
Reefing is all on blocks so no need to lkeave the cockpit
Old 23-10-2010, 09:07   #44

Boat: Soon to be a Cat
How realistic would it be to have the boom lowered slightly? the 440 seems to be a good height and its just about 18 inches or so lower. I know they have an option for US cats to have a lower overall mast to fit under the Intercoastal Canal bridges. It would seem to be a relatively easy thing to do during the initial build.

Also I am wondering if the Volvo option is a quieter option. They are a very expensive upgrade, any thoughts on benefits? It does seem odd that we can get such quiet generator options and not sail drive options. Diesel technology has come a long way in recent years to provide much lower sound levels, why do suppose that has not reached the marine market yet??
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2010, 12:35   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
And for the leach?

Unless you have a mast or boom furled main, you have to have access to the complete length of the boom to zip/unzip the sail bag and flake the sail when stowing.
^^^^ that, and steps or a stool as suggested can be "ok" in fine weather, but i wouldn't want to deal with that boom in a storm.

everything considered, i cannot see why it had to be so high, even with the flybridge (and its own mini-bimini).

great interior though, no arguments there.

Tags
lagoon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: