Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 16:27   #241

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
we'll call that empowered
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 17:57   #242

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Lagoon owners group

Lagoons,

Just like to know if some of you Lagoon owners would like to start a formal Lagoon owners group.
Please let me know.
I can help you set up forums catered to your different model Lagoons.

Here is an example of one we have going.

Fountaine Pajot - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 18:07   #243

Boat: Lagoon 440, Sea Of Love
speaking for myself...no thanks

there are already some very nice groups going. Why mess with a good thing?
sail4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2019, 10:47   #244

Re: Lagoon 440 Weight, Height, Flybridge

Apologies in advance for raising the dead here, but I tried a DM to KK and I think he may be taking a Hiatus.

I'm in the same boat - a 440 with a 70' mast height but my house is on the ICW so I could get free mooring behind my house if I could just get it under the dang bridge.

Has anyobody else gone his route and created a masthead rig? Any idea where I could get the schematics? I understand some folks have said that Sparcraft makes the rig... Any reccomendations in the Brevard County area of a rigger who could undertake such a job?

Thanks for any advice!

-Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain Ken View Post
Creka,

Please note that the Lagoon 440 has a great interior helm set-up at the nav station. Also, in the analysis of the mast heights (which I doubt worries you, but may be of concern to U.S. buyers), it's true that the standard rig for the Lagoon 440 is 70' above the waterline. However, Lagoon offers an ICW version - which I DO NOT recommend as it reduces the sail area of the mainsail by 160 sq.ft. and also the headsails as well! The reason for this is that in their ICW option, Lagoon simply lowered the whole rig.

I worked with Lagoon and the Doyle Sail loft in Ft. Lauderdale to solve the problem in a much better way. I had noticed that all of the shrouds and headsail rigging are approximately 8' below the top of the standard rig. Lagoon sent a schematic for the local rigging shop to take 7' off the top of the standard mast and re-attach the masthead, instruments, etc. Doyle cut the top of the main in a squared-off configuration, supporting it with a diagonal batten (just like all of the America's Cup boats in the recent races near Barcelona). We ended up losing only about 30 sq.ft. from the main and nothing from any of the headsails (in addition to the standard genoa, we carry 2 different sized gennakers and a large asymetrical spinnaker). In short, we basically changed our rig from a "fractional" rig to a "masthead" rig.

I heartedly concur about trying any boat you are interested in. Most of the popular cats are available in the various charter fleets. Enjoy the process.
timinfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2019, 08:57   #245

I had a great call with Kaptain Ken yesterday - what an awesome guy. He took the time to call me and introduce me to his contacts who performed the job on his boat. Anyway, if anybody needs additional info, just let me know. Thanks for taking the time to reach out Kapt Ken!
timinfla2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 19:50   #246

Do you and/or Ken have pics of the new ICW friendly rig?
higginslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 22:01   #247

Boat: Lagoon 440 - Agape'

Attached are two photos of our L440 "Under Sail" in Port Royal Sound, just north of Hilton Head Island. Not much wind, but a passing boat took the photos for us and emailed them. There is also a sales video of our boat (Agape') taken by a young lady from The Catamaran Company. I'm not sure if it shows the mast rigging, but you can look it up on YouTube: Lagoon 440, Agape'.

The video does show (look quick) a little custom feature I did to zip and unzip the mainsail cover. All it involves is a relatively light line run through two small blocks (one attached to the mast and the other attached to the boom topping lift). The two ends of the line are then tied-off to the zipper. You just need to spray-lube the zipper track a couple of times a year (which you would do anyhow).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Agape' Under Sail.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	228604

Click image for larger version

Name:	Agape' Under Sail - 2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	228605
Kaptain Ken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags